Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Architect
6,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHARES

KARACHI – A Pakistani billionaire has announced the build the South Asian country’s first six-star international hotel in the port city

In an exclusive interview with Profit <link>, Habibullah Khan said: “We’re going to make a district with four different components. One will be a globally recognized six-star hotel [in Karachi].”

READ MORE: Steps being ensured by rangers to improve law & order in Karachi: DG Rangers

There would also be branded apartments sharing the hotel’s facilities, he added.

Khan has used his own funds to buy Hotel Metropole, a near-abandoned hotel complex spread over 4 acres right in the middle of the financial district of Karachi .

READ MORE: Air-conditioned bus service starts in Karachi

“We want to build a city within the city and we have been working extensively to achieve this,” he told Profit <link> .

Talking about how he purchased the heritage site, he said that past owners of Hotel Metropole were Zoroastrian, more commonly known as Parsis, who had been trying to sell their property for a decade.

READ MORE: Meeting reviews law and order situation in Karachi
“There were many interested parties, but few had the kind of liquidity and appetite to consummate the transaction fast,” Khan said adding “By the grace of God, within two months we closed the deal”.

His company Mega Conglomerate has been considering to award the design contract to renowned British-Iraqi architecture firm Zaha Hadid Architects or Louis Vidal of Spain, both of whom have already given their proposal for the complex. A third UK architecture firm is in the running as well.

Khan is known as the largest player in dairy after Nestle and Engro Foods. He has been actively working to acquire a financial institution besides being a huge player in the energy sector, having recently acquired a major stake in Hub Power (Hubco).

·
Formerly innovators
10 Posts
Renders reflects, its zaha hadid architectures behind the curtain...!!

Surely its have; as also includes village restaurent as other than that its about 2.8 acre approx and including the village restaurent it will be about 4.0 acre precisely

Just wondering the current space is big enough to accommodate such a huge structure

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
My quotes from the KARACHI | Progress News & Updates thread

Very good news. I used to imagine that the location of Metropole Hotel in Karachi was the absolute best location for a mixed-use skyscraper with shops, hotel, apartments etc. Now this guy is planning exactly that. Plus, he's getting some seriously famous architects to design it. I'll be looking forward to this project.
Interesting guy. Never heard of him before: Pakistan’s mystery billionaire

My only question is whether he's really self-made or is he a front man for one of the corrupt politicians?

·
Pakistan Zindabaad!
6,497 Posts
'Metropole' means 'Centre of the city,' and I think that this spot really is the centre, the zero point, of Karachi, so the name is apt. I hope they keep the same name for the project.
I remember you once told us about your username and it's connection with this old hotel metropole and how badly you want to see it back with new building. I think it was way back in 2013 or 14
:cheers:

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Lahore me bi koi 20+ floors highrise building bana lo :(
Lahore is spread over an area larger than Karachi but it's population is half, so Karachi is much more densely populated, which is why it has a lot more high rise development. Most of the taller apartment buildings have started being built only in the last ten years or so. Before that they were mostly 5-10-15 stories.

In Karachi 95% of the tall buildings are residential. In Lahore people prefer living in houses rather than apartments. There are so many housing schemes with plots of all sizes, so everyone can build their own house.

Lahore will have more highrises when 1) it runs out of land and 2) people start preferring (or be forced) to live in apartments.

Tall buildings look good, but given the choice most people would prefer to live in a 'bangla'.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Lahore is spread over an area larger than Karachi but it's population is half, so Karachi is much more densely populated, which is why it has a lot more high rise development. Most of the taller apartment buildings have started being built only in the last ten years or so. Before that they were mostly 5-10-15 stories.

In Karachi 95% of the tall buildings are residential. In Lahore people prefer living in houses rather than apartments. There are so many housing schemes with plots of all sizes, so everyone can build their own house.

Lahore will have more highrises when 1) it runs out of land and 2) people start preferring (or be forced) to live in apartments.

Tall buildings look good, but given the choice most people would prefer to live in a 'bangla'.
Apartment/Tall building wise people prefer to build in City’s next to the ocean. Just look at all major citys in a country with skylines - Mumbai, Colombo London NY Shanghai Dubai etc. I doubt Lahore will have a nice skyline as it isn’t near to the ocean. For example Dhaka economy and population is quite similar to Karachi’s yet it’s skyline nothing’s like Karachi and closer to Lahore’s and Islamabad skyline even tho it’s the worlds most congested city.

·
Everythin bubble of water
21,110 Posts
Most actually emerged in the 21st century. Also Dhaka's skyline is much better than Lahore & Islamabad's . It is certainly not behind Karachi, so his comparisons are all wrong.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts