SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aeroports de Paris wins order worth $42.5 million

Submitted by Rehan Rachid on Wed, 11/04/2009 - 05:06 Aviation Sector Iraq TNM

French state-owned airport operator Aeroports de Paris, has secured an order worth $42.5 million contract from Iraq’s transport ministry for a new upcoming international airport in Baghdad.

The new airport, which will be built between the three provinces of Kerbala, Najaf and Hilla, is scheduled to be ready within 3 to 5 years, with an initial capacity of five million passengers per year and eventual capacity of 35 million per year.

Baghdad Airport currently manages around 7 million passengers a year

·
Dreams of Babylon Rising
8,848 Posts
^^ are they talking about baghdad international airport. or the new airport at Karbala ?!

because the numbers seem to match the new airport at karbala

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ are they talking about baghdad international airport. or the new airport at Karbala ?!

because the numbers seem to match the new airport at karbala
new airport...im guessing it we be the new international terminal for baghdad, the old terminal is too outdated

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
incorrect.

ADP-I has won the design contract for the new airport in KARBALA. nothing to do with baghdad. its called the central euphrates international airport. its built in the desert roughly near karbala-khan al rub3 on the najaf-karbala highway so it connects the three main conurbations (karbala - najaf - hilla) with their own international airport hub,

initial capacity is 6M passengers per annum rising to 12M. It will also include a cargo hub, hotels and an "airport free zone".

the farmers i think will get evicted... and I do hope they clear up the mess with the mines and bombs that are still lying around.

·
Dreams of Babylon Rising
8,848 Posts
^^ yes, that's what I read as well... it's for the Al-Forat Al Wasit airport (Middle Euphrates airport), which will be based in karbala (but also shared with neighbouring provinces)

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
yes. a funny bit of "inside" information that not many people know is the fact that the idiots in the Iraqi transport ministry received the bid from ADP-I in Euros, and all paperwork, costs etc were always in Euros, but the idiots wrote it down in USD and sent the details for their budget request to the finance ministry in USD!!!

to make a long story short, The airport was delayed for a couple of months, whilst the Iraqis became adamant that they will not pay a penny more than $50M! in spite of the fact that ADP-I has never submitted such an offer... their 50M euro offer ($65M approx) was truncated, quite arbitrarily, by the iraqis due to the gross administrative incompetence of the Iraqi ministerial staff. ADP-I succumbed, and accepted the lower price after the French Prime Minister's office intervened and convinced them to accept it.

just shows how F*cked up it is deal with Iraqi "ministries".

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
incorrect.

ADP-I has won the design contract for the new airport in KARBALA. nothing to do with baghdad. its called the central euphrates international airport. its built in the desert roughly near karbala-khan al rub3 on the najaf-karbala highway so it connects the three main conurbations (karbala - najaf - hilla) with their own international airport hub,

initial capacity is 6M passengers per annum rising to 12M. It will also include a cargo hub, hotels and an "airport free zone".

the farmers i think will get evicted... and I do hope they clear up the mess with the mines and bombs that are still lying around.
sorry my bad...i'll change the thread title

·
Dreams of Babylon Rising
8,848 Posts
isn't it Middle Euphrates International Airport ?

weird the cost is now only a meager $42 millon... I remember at one point it was in the billions of dollars.. >< I don't understand how can such a minuscule amount of money be enough for an international airport.. is it cheap labor, material cost?!

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
this old thread should clear things up for you...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1093729 Elusive please change the title of that thread as you promised.

"construction"??

what the hell is wrong with al fayhaa channel? They have soundly beaten Al Sharqiya's record for spreading bull*hit.

I mean, are they doing this just to be positive because they want to believe? It would be a better service for the people of Iraq if all the TV channels discussed the new projects, their good and bad points... rather than just spread negative bull*hit (sharqia) or positive bull*hit (iraqia and fayhaa).

In the end no one in Iraq is really well informed...

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
oops sorry about that...mod please merge this topic with the 'Middle Euphrates International Airport | Proposed' thread and delete this comment...cheers!

·
Registered
969 Posts
isn't it Middle Euphrates International Airport ?

weird the cost is now only a meager $42 millon... I remember at one point it was in the billions of dollars.. >< I don't understand how can such a minuscule amount of money be enough for an international airport.. is it cheap labor, materiel cost?!
Didn't baghdad's airport cost 900 million $ when it was constructed by the french ?

·
Dreams of Babylon Rising
8,848 Posts
yes... 900 mil was a lot of money back then.. you have to take inflation into account.. 42 million now days is no big deal at all..

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
Guys. In case you didn't read the other thread. $42M is the DESIGN cost. ADP-I has a contract to design the airport. No construction work has started since Iraq is attempting to "sell" this airport to international investors to invest in before construction commences (but with the fiasco that happened with Najaf airport, I am guessing such "investors" will be rather thin on the ground).

So $42M is the "design" cost - Iraqi government paid for this.

$3Bn+ is the "construction" cost... Iraq is hoping foreign investors will fund this.

·
Dreams of Babylon Rising
8,848 Posts
So where is this project exactly located, is it in Karbala or Babil ?

Because I remember that it was about half way between Hilla and Karbala, but I'm not exactly sure which province the airport is located.

If someone can confirm the location, I'll merge the two threads under the right location

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So where is this project exactly located, is it in Karbala or Babil ?

Because I remember that it was about half way between Hilla and Karbala, but I'm not exactly sure which province the airport is located.

If someone can confirm the location, I'll merge the two threads under the right location
they say karbala in the video, im not sure

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
its next to the new karbala refinery in the desert between karbala and Najaf along the strategic oil pipeline

It is "in the middle" between karbala - hindiya - Najaf (closest point is khan al rub3 along the najaf-karbala highway which is also the junction for the road to Hindiya - Hilla)

location below showing distances to all three major cities (karbala to north, najaf to south and hilla to east).

about 25km to Karbala, 40km to Najaf and 35km to Hilla (approx).

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=32.3614033&lon=44.0936279&z=10&l=0&m=b

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
Yes its in Karbala, but its called the "central euphrates airport" (not middle euphrates - that wouldn't make sense in English) - see map above. the link you sent confirms it (see distances from each major city). When I was working on the refinery next to the "new airport" the minister and I think Maliki came down and laid the "cornerstone" - lets hope more is built in time!!

1 - 20 of 249 Posts