SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :banana2:

I would like to introduce you my home city Katowice, first maybe some handy infos about my (like i guess) not well known city ;)

Katowice the capital of Silesian Voivodeship (Czech: Katovice, German: Kattowitz) is a city in Silesia, southern Poland, on the Kłodnica and Rawa rivers (tributaries of the Oder and the Vistula). Katowice is located in the Silesian Highlands, large center of science, culture, industry, business and transportation.

Population (2008)
- City 312,201
- Density 1,895.9/km2 (4,910.4/sq mi)
- Urban 2,746,000
- Silesian Voivodeship 4,676,983

The area around Katowice in Upper Silesia has been inhabited by ethnic Silesians from its earliest documented history. It was first ruled by the Polish Silesian Piast dynasty (until its extinction). From 1335 it was a part of the Crown of Bohemia. In 1526 the territory passed to the Austrian Habsburg Monarchy after the death of King Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia. In 1742 most of Silesia was annexed from Austria by the Kingdom of Prussia during the First Silesian War.

Katowice was founded in the 19th century and gained city status in 1865 as Kattowitz in the Prussian Province of Silesia. The city flourished due to large mineral (especially coal) deposits in the nearby mountains. Extensive city growth and prosperity depended on the coal mining and steel industries, which took off during the Industrial Revolution. Kattowitz was inhabited mainly by Germans, Silesians, Jews and Poles. Previously part of the Beuthen district, in 1873 it became the capital of the new Kattowitz district. On 1 April 1899, the city of Kattowitz was separated from the district, becoming an independent city.

According to the Treaty of Versailles after World War I the Upper Silesia plebiscite was organised by the League of Nations. While in the city of Katowice the plebiscite resulted 22,774 votes to remain in Germany and 3,900 votes for Poland[8] in the voting district of Katowice overall (combined with rural areas near the city and castle area) they were 66119 votes for Poland and 52992 for Germany[9] and following the Silesian Uprisings (1918-21) Katowice became part of the Second Polish Republic with a certain level of autonomy (Silesian Parliament as a constituency and Silesian Voivodeship Council as the executive body).

The city was occupied by Nazi Germany between 1939-1945.

In 1953 the city was renamed Stalinogród ("Stalin City") by the Polish communist government. However, the new name was never accepted by the city's population and in 1956 the former name of 'Katowice' was restored.

here we go :)

St. Mary's Catholic Church like you see under renovation

tenement-house on Damrota street

Marshal office with monument of Jozef Pilsudski (sculpture made by Antun Augustinčić)

Silesian Parliment

headquater of mining corporation "Kompania Węglowa"

Katowice arch-see, 3th biggest church in Poland

street life and a few tenement-house's

court

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
:)

Is there a lot of renovation going on in Katowice?
not as many as it should be :|

altus highrise and spodek arena

roundabout of art with art gallery and club :), all above tunnel of city highway ,quite cool place

ING Bank Slaski headquater and Chorzowska 50 office building

just renovated commie building :)

freedom square

court again :D

functionalistic church from 1933

kosciuszki street

one of buildings of Silesian Library

bishop's palace

·
Bike It!
22,248 Posts
Great pics and nice thread. Keep them coming! :)
Isn't Katowice and its surroundings an old industrial area?

·
Call me grizzly ;)
1,429 Posts
Isn't Katowice and its surroundings an old industrial area?
Yes, it is. It is/was mainly associated with coal mines and steelworks, but now the image of Silesia is being changed into industrial tourism spot and they're doing quite well. Upper Silesia is a former coal mining region in which coal extraction was significantly reduced in the past few years due to many reasons (economical and environmental).

·
16,916 Posts
Great pics of Katowice :) Love the commieblock pics. Great mix of old and new :)

·
Banned
7,713 Posts
Very nice place, my father was born in that region around Przystajn maybe closer to Czestochowa. I plan to visit next year, but I hope they start work on their not so nice train station soon.

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the oldest church in Katowice (protestant)

Medical University of Silesia, soon new library

city palace Warsaw's street

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ you know that in diferent sources you have diferent data , so i took from wikipedia. Its a well known fact that our aglomeration is the biggest one, few thousands doesnt make a difference..
You could say sth about photos instead of this nonsense

1 - 20 of 51 Posts