SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The iconic Kauri Timber Building situated across from Auckland’s vibrant Viaduct Harbour is the city's latest historic commercial development. The building is being lovingly restored to 100% of earthquake code whilst retaining the charm and character of it's original heritage. Complimented by the development of a new dynamic structure which will rise up above Fanshawe Street and demand attention. Spaces will be available to lease from early 2013.

KTB1 by Urban+Explorer, on Flickr​

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HISTORY

The Kauri Timber Company Building at 104 Fanshawe Street, Auckland, is a significant reminder of the importance of the kauri timber industry to the New Zealand economy, through the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Construction started in 1881 and finished in 1882. This history-rich four-storey brick building was the head office of some of the most important timber companies in the country. These included the Auckland Timber Company (1881-1888), the Kauri Timber Company (1888-1944) and Butler Brothers Limited (early 1900’s). These businesses contributed to the transformation of the rural landscape in northern New Zealand. The Kauri Timber Company building contained multiple functions including offices, showrooms, a glazing manufactory and storage. It was described in the American Consul’s 1883 report on the New Zealand Timber Industry as ‘a splendid building, surpassing anything of the kind in the Southern Hemisphere’. The building was designed in a simple Italianate style, with four bays facing the street. Each bay contains large arched windows on the upper levels. At ground level, offset doors and large shop windows featured. The building measures 21 x 18 metres and has four floors, plus a basement.

KTB2 by Urban+Explorer, on Flickr​

·
If seagulls could talk...
700 Posts
Wow, great news. - It'll be a huge lift to this little strip.

That arch bridge in the historic photograph looks futuristic..when was it taken..1915? Amazing. Reinstating that would be a very nice gesture I reckon. (It would beat the 2-stage crossing that exists there now).

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Wow, great news. - It'll be a huge lift to this little strip.

That arch bridge in the historic photograph looks futuristic..when was it taken..1915? Amazing. Reinstating that would be a very nice gesture I reckon. (It would beat the 2-stage crossing that exists there now).
I'd say Fanshawe is now double the width of what is shown in that photo so it would have to be a massive bridge. I'd prefer they simply made it a single crossing at street level, cheaper, and I don't think Auckland should start getting into the habit of building skybridges in the city. They're a way to avoid improving what's happening at street level which is what we should really be doing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say Fanshawe is now double the width of what is shown in that photo so it would have to be a massive bridge. I'd prefer they simply made it a single crossing at street level, cheaper, and I don't think Auckland should start getting into the habit of building skybridges in the city. They're a way to avoid improving what's happening at street level which is what we should really be doing.
Skybridges are going to be popping up all over the area .... two are planned for Fanshawe Street ... one from Victoria Park to Daldy Street and one from St Mary's Bay to St Mary's Bay Cove. Sky City is also planning one to the new Convention Centre and 277 in Newmarket is also planning a two level skybridge. Perhaps they could take the one down in lower Albert Street when they demolish Westfield - now that would be great !

·
700 Posts
I don't mind sky bridges in the right context. I use the two downtown (one next to viaduct carpark, one downtown mall) from time to time - convenience for pedestrians is very useful - but true - they shouldh't be a remedy for crap street design.

Fanshawe Street is kind of a write-off for peds at the moment. The Boulevarding of Hobson St and development of Wynyard Qtr might release the strip for more ped-friendly uses, but it'll be a ways off yet...the Kauri Timber building is a great start though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Construction fences have gone up....looks like things are about to begin. :banana:
freemans bay construction has gone crazy !! we have the build at Vic park, the birdcage looks like it is about to reopen and has fence around it, we have the building on college hill, beaumount quarter and the daldy street extension....great start to the year for freemans bay!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Construction fences have gone up....looks like things are about to begin. :banana:
freemans bay construction has gone crazy !! we have the build at Vic park, the birdcage looks like it is about to reopen and has fence around it, we have the building on college hill, beaumount quarter and the daldy street extension....great start to the year for freemans bay!
I read in the latest Monocle magazine that it is a phenomenon that is taking place in all of the World's great cities - there is a greater focus on inner-city development than in the CBD as such (more communal and entrepreneurial). Ponsonby is another example and Newmarket is going to take off soon. It is nice to know that Auckland is right up there when it comes to trends :colgate:

·
Registered
19 Posts
The great thing about it happening in auckland is that we have as a back drop one of the most beautiful cities in the world :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is all go, there was a great write up in the paper about the procedure for earthquake strengthening which is happening as I type this. I am very happy that this is being strengthened and not demolished :cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there no statutory protection for a tree of that size?

Also, I wouldn't like the job of trying to stabilize that retaining wall once the stump has been removed!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Is there no statutory protection for a tree of that size?

Also, I wouldn't like the job of trying to stabilize that retaining wall once the stump has been removed!
No, National passed legislation that recently came into effect banning any council in NZ from having any sort of general tree protection, as such unless the council has specifically gone through the process of scheduling it (which takes a lot of time and money) anyone can chop down any tree in Auckland (and NZ now). I've already seen people chop down huge Pohutakawas on the cliffs around Herne Bay to improve their view, and big mature trees on the front yards to fit another car park for their SUV.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That must be a pretty old wall..
Kind of apt considering the name of the site. Even non Kauri trees in the vicinity must have been a little nervous.

·
700 Posts
Flip that stump on it's side and you might have an awesome table/coffee table!

Anyone have a chainsaw and ute I can borrow for a couple hours? :D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts