SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Where did you find this? I can't find it anywhere online.

·
Registered
109 Posts
After almost cutting our (Omaha) total in half last year with 'only' 18 homicides... this year we are going gangbusters (so to speak)... I would guess we have approximately 18 already. We just had a rather troubling execution style triple homicide.

·
Registered
403 Posts
eomaha.com said:
After almost cutting our (Omaha) total in half last year with 'only' 18 homicides... this year we are going gangbusters (so to speak)... I would guess we have approximately 18 already. We just had a rather troubling execution style triple homicide.
Just curious but why do you put the " " around the "only" 18 murders, like that was an extremely high number or something? I mean I realize no murder is good...but 18 murders for a city of about 400,000 is actually really low.

In 2002 Omaha had 26 murders which comes out to (6.6 per 100,000) which is just a little above the national murder rate average of (5.4 per 100,000).

So last year in Omaha there were 18 murders? That comes out to (4.5 per 100,000) which is well below the national average.

·
urban informant
669 Posts
KC isn't very dangerous but its a lot worse than Milwaukee our car wasn't stolen on vacation for 3 weeks in the hood so as far as that goes its ok but yes it is the murder capital i think 7 people died in one weekend the last time i was there

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sadly, Cincinnati had it's 40th of the year yesterday morning... and was at 41 this time last year.

Usually have about 75 per year.

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
in 2002.....
Among the nation’s 25 largest cities, Milwaukee has the 6th worst homicide rate. Only Detroit, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Memphis, and Chicago have a higher per capita rate of homicide
sure we arent getting 170 murders a year like we did in the early 90's....but I still am not pleased. All the cities in this region are pretty bad. Even Canada has its problems with this shit.

Toronto: 90 (1.80)
Montreal: 66 (1.87)
Vancouver: 69 (3.26)
Calgary: 15 (1.52)

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
Goodness, getting less than 300 a year in the 90s in Baltimore was something a lot of us celebrated. We're at 145 right now, which is 6 fewer than the same time last year....I guess that's a good thing....seriously, 2000 was the first year we've had less than 300 murders in a long time.

40 doesn't seem too bad, though. I wish it could be as low as 0, but that isn't going to happen very easily. But we would envy having 40 murders this time around...

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
I didnt even realize this...but we are already at 67 homicides. 67 people in half a year is sick. We havent even hit the hottest, most active times in July and August. The TV says that every 3 days...at least one person is murdered in Milwaukee. And here I thought our crime levels were dropping. :sleepy:

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
It's strange, because murders usually only account for 2% of all violent crime. You could flip the number of assaults with murders and still have the total violent crime be the same. Not that it would make any sense to have 10000 murders and only 200 assaults, but hypothetically speaking...

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
yeah...Ill think ill steer clear of any city with 10,000 murders a year. :)

By the way..what city in the world has the worst problem with homcides and violent crime? Is it Johannesburg, Rio....?

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
yeah, it looks like KC and MIL will top last years. How is Chicago doing? I know that NYC is looking at their lowest murder rate in years.

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
sadly is true. An 18 year was shot dead yesterday across from a church festival that was held so that area kids would have something positive to do.

Many of these shootings are over such trivial shit. Personal arguments often time lead to shooting deaths. Ever seen the movie Friday? Its a comedy but it has some good points. The goofy dad tells Ice Cube to use his fists instead of his gun..liike they used to.

·
Registered
403 Posts
There are only 267 murders in Los Angeles so far this year. Considering past years...that is actually pretty good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts