SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to update everyone on the Nelson's new Bloch addition as the project nears completion. This is a very controversial project since the architect is using an eclectic design to create glowing "lenses".
Architect Steven Holl's website

An arial looking west, exterior contruction nearing completion

Night pics

Interior views nearing completion

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's wierd I actually like this addition. I never thought I would say that about
a box. At night spectacular. I have always thought that some buildings under construction look far more exotic and intriguing than the final outcome, and this building has that feeling with the raw exposure of material and its properties.
I didn't know Steven Holl had it in him. He is the architect responsible for that ubiquitous rash of the half or sliver moon detail (roof stapled to a box) that adorn the facades of at least one office building in every city and suburban office park, in this country. I was so sick of that artifice that I completely forgot he existed. I am glad he has gotten rid of that roofline for good. I wonder if he had copyright or patent for that fingernail/sliver moon, roof design?

·
I claim to be staff.
2,171 Posts
This is an amazingly fantastic project... I never knew about it before! I'd be incredibly proud to have this in my city. I'm sure it's only controversial because of close-minded conservative thinkers screaming at the top of their lungs. It's beautiful.. thanks for posting.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I lived about one block from this project about 2 years ago when it first started at 44th and McGee...I had no idea that it looked this good from the outside, as well as from the inside!! I had never seen a final rendering, much less some pictures taken from the outside and inside. Excellent job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts