SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 830 Posts

·
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN
44,615 Posts
Air travellers losing their belts

KUCHING: More and more people boarding aircraft at the Kuching International Airport are having to hold their pants up with their hands.

The young trend-setters are forced to do so as their belt buckles are confiscated at security checkpoints at the airport.

"Airport security officers are confiscating belts that have large buckles that could easily be turned into a weapon," KIA senior airport manager Sunif Naiman said yesterday after Deputy State Secretary Datuk Morshidi Abdul Ghani opened a one-day occupational safety and health awareness campaign at the airport.

"We don't have the numbers but the number of belts confiscated has increased.

"They may be a beautiful accessory or trendy, but under the heightened security alert at airports across the world, we see these buckles as a threat to safety.

"They therefore come under the list of items that are restricted from being brought into aircraft."

The ones Malaysia Airport security officers look for are buckles that could, for example, be turnedinto a knuckle-duster or a weapon similar to a **** spur.

Even buckles in the shape of a gun are not spared, nor are pendants in the shape of bullets.

Sunif said: "Passengers may claim it's only in the shape of a bullet.

"To us and all security officers at airports around the world, a bullet is a bullet and it could pose a threat.

"We are all operating within Annex 17 of the security guidelines issued by the International Civil Aviation Organisation."

Scissors continue to top the list of items confiscated from passengers at the airport.

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Tiger Airways budget flight to Kuching,
Malaysia; to expand fleet in Singapore

Monday, November 24, 2008, 10:57

Tiger Airways, a low-cost airline based in Singapore, has announced its plans to expand its fleet in Singapore with the addition of two Airbus A319s aircraft in 2009.

Tiger Airways, with its primary hub at Singapore’s Changi Airport, is currently the largest low-cost airline operating out of Singapore in terms of passengers carried. The airline was the first to operate from the Budget Terminal in Changi Airport in order to achieve operating-cost savings, and its cost structure is modelled after Ryanair, the low-cost airline based in Dublin, Ireland. Tiger Airways started flights to India in October 2007.

Rosalynn Tay, managing director of Tiger Airways, said in a pres release: “Given the rate of liberalisation occurring in the ASEAN (Association of South-East Asian Nations) region, Tiger Airways is quickly taking 2 more brand-new aircraft into its Singapore-based fleet. The beauty of having smaller Airbus A320-family aircraft is that we have a plane that is 98% the same as our A320s, but with less seats and a lower operating cost. This is the perfect aircraft for route development and ensures that the airline is in the right position to exploit new opportunities as they are presented.”

“The Airbus A319,” Rosalynn Tay added, “has been successfully operated with low-fare airlines across the world such as Easyjet and Spirit in the United States. The A319 is a proven low-fare aircraft type. With these additional aircraft, we have the opportunity to expand aggressively our paw-print to more destinations with our famous low, low fares.”

At present, Tiger Airways is recruiting pilots, cabin crew and support staff to be based in Singapore.

Meanwhile, Tiger Airways has launched low-fare service to Kuching in eastern Malaysia.

The inaugural flight was greeted by Datuk Michael Manyin anak Jawong, Sarawak’s Minister of Urban Development and Tourism.

The Tiger Airways passengers onboard the inaugural flight were given a friendly welcome by locals adorned in traditional outfits and were presented with bead garlands upon arrival.

To celebrate the launch of the service to Kuching, Tiger Airways is offering a deal of free seats for a limited time – travellers only have to pay the airport charges and taxes.

“Tiger Airways has made history by being the first low-fare airline from Singapore to fly to East Malaysia, right in Kuching,” Rosalynn Tay, managing director of Tiger Airways Singapore, said in the press release. “Since 2004, we have been in active dialogue with ASEAN governments to allow Tiger Airways to link Singapore with ASEAN nations with our low, low fares.”

Tiger Airways’ new low-fare flights to Kuching will depart Singapore at 14:35 and arrive at Kuching at 15:55. Flights from Kuching will depart at 16:25, arriving in Singapore at 17:45.

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Tiger Airways to boost tourism in Sarawak
Saturday November 22, 2008

KUCHING: Sarawak expects a 30% increase in arrivals from Singapore following a fourth airline servicing the Singapore-Kuching route.

State Tourism and Urban Development Minister Datuk Michael Manyin said if the state could tap 3% of the seven million tourists from Europe, Japan, South Korea and Australia visiting Singapore annually, it would help boost its tourism industry.

He was speaking to reporters after welcoming 177 passengers on board the Tiger Airways inaugural flight that landed at the Kuching International Airport on Thursday afternoon.

The other airlines providing the Singapore-Kuching direct service are Malaysia Airlines, AirAsia and SilkAir.

Last year, Sarawak recorded some 33,000 visitors from the republic.

Sarawak Tourism Board chief executive officer Gracie Geikie urged local hoteliers to offer special rates to visitors from Singapore to reciprociate what their counterparts had done for visitors from Sarawak.

She said the state has about 5,500 hotel rooms of three-star status and above.

Geikie said 3,000 more rooms would be ready in the next two years with the completion of several new hotels here.

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Did you know?
Malaysia Airlines

- Malaysia Airlines has the most flights (59) between Kuching, MY and Kuala Lumpur, MY.
- 2 carriers operate between Kuching, MY and Kuala Lumpur, MY
- 17,633 seats are available per week fly between Kuching, MY and Kuala Lumpur, MY
- 108 flights per week fly between Kuching, MY and Kuala Lumpur, MY

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Did you know?
Malaysia Airlines

- 2 carriers operate between Kuching, MY and Sibu, MY
- 5,096 seats are available per week fly between Kuching, MY and Sibu, MY
- The largest aircraft flying between Kuching, MY and Sibu, MY is a 737 operating by AirAsia with 148 seats.
- The smallest aircraft flying between Kuching, MY and Sibu, MY is a 737 operating by Malaysia Airlines with 144 seats.
- The number of flights daily between Kuching and Sibu on Malaysia is 6

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Did you know?
Malaysia Airlines

- The largest aircraft flying between Kuching, MY and Miri, MY is a 737 operating by AirAsia with 148 seats.
- Malaysia Airlines has the most flights (21) between Kuching, MY and Miri, MY.
- 28 flights per week fly between Kuching, MY and Miri, MY
- 2 carriers operate between Kuching, MY and Miri, MY

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Did you know?
Malaysia Airlines

- 2 carriers operate between Kuching, MY and Bintulu, MY
- AirAsia has the most flights (14) between Kuching, MY and Bintulu, MY.
- 21 flights per week fly between Kuching, MY and Bintulu, MY
- The largest aircraft flying between Kuching, MY and Bintulu, MY is a 737 operating by AirAsia with 148 seats.

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Did you know?
Air Asia

- Malaysia Airlines has the most flights (59) between Kuching, MY and Kuala Lumpur, MY.
- 2 carriers operate between Kuching, MY and Kuala Lumpur, MY
- 17,633 seats are available per week fly between Kuching, MY and Kuala Lumpur, MY
- 108 flights per week fly between Kuching, MY and Kuala Lumpur, MY

- AirAsia has the most flights (21) between Kuching, MY and Johor Bahru, MY.
- 28 flights per week fly between Kuching, MY and Johor Bahru, MY
- 4,116 seats are available per week fly between Kuching, MY and Johor Bahru, MY
- The largest aircraft flying between Kuching, MY and Johor Bahru, MY is a 737 operating by AirAsia with 148 seats.

- The smallest aircraft flying between Kuching, MY and Kota Kinabalu, MY is a 737 operating by Malaysia Airlines with 144 seats.
- 21 flights per week fly between Kuching, MY and Kota Kinabalu, MY
- The largest aircraft flying between Kuching, MY and Kota Kinabalu, MY is a 737 operating by AirAsia with 148 seats.
- 3,052 seats are available per week fly between Kuching, MY and Kota Kinabalu, MY

- The largest aircraft flying between Kuching, MY and Miri, MY is a 737 operating by AirAsia with 148 seats.
- Malaysia Airlines has the most flights (21) between Kuching, MY and Miri, MY.
- 28 flights per week fly between Kuching, MY and Miri, MY
- 2 carriers operate between Kuching, MY and Miri, MY

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Did you know?
Tiger Airways

- 10 flights per week fly between Kuching, MY and Singapore, SG
- 2 carriers operate between Kuching, MY and Singapore, SG
- The smallest aircraft flying between Kuching, MY and Singapore, SG is a 32S operating by Silk Air with 118 seats.
- 1,362 seats are available per week fly between Kuching, MY and Singapore, SG

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Did you know?
Royal Brunei Airlines

- 39 flights per week fly out of Kuching, MY connecting to Bandar Seri Begawan, BN
- The smallest aircraft operated by AirAsia flying between Kuching, MY and Bandar Seri Begawan, BN is a 737 with 148 seats.
- The largest aircraft operated by Singapore Airlines flying between Kuching, MY and Bandar Seri Begawan, BN is a 737 with 144 seats.
- 3 airlines operate between Kuching, MY and Bandar Seri Begawan, BN

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Did you know?
Awair

- 36 flights per week fly out of Kuching, MY connecting to Jakarta, ID
- The largest aircraft operated by Batavia Air flying between Kuching, MY and Jakarta, ID is a 737 with 112 seats.
- Singapore Airlines has 14 one stop flights between Kuching, MY and Jakarta, ID.
- 4 airlines operate between Kuching, MY and Jakarta, ID

·
Registered
116,491 Posts
Did you know?
Silk Air

- 10 flights per week fly between Kuching, MY and Singapore, SG
- 2 carriers operate between Kuching, MY and Singapore, SG
- The smallest aircraft flying between Kuching, MY and Singapore, SG is a 32S operating by Silk Air with 118 seats.
- 1,362 seats are available per week fly between Kuching, MY and Singapore, SG

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
i thought there are 28 flight per week operate between Kch and BKI, 2 each by AK & MAS. i think some of the data is outdated.Its not MAS has the most flight between kch and Kl,its AK. they have 70 flights per week between each sector with 10 flights a day while MAS only have 7 - 8 flights a day depends on the day

1 - 20 of 830 Posts