SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Iceland MotoPark
Keflavík - Iceland

The main designer is Marko Bowen who has designed courses in Dubai and is working on renevating the Silverstone course. Bowen
says the main objective of the Iceland Moto Park is to increase tourism into the country.

The project will include a hotel, restaurtants, cinemas, night clubs, health clubs, conference halls, with several high-rise building
up to 15 floors. The looks of all buildings will have references to Formula 1 cars. “I see the potential of organizing major auto
tournaments on the course in the future,” said Bowen. Around the course a urban area of around 5 - 8.000 people is planned.
The project will be built in stages, with construction start in 2008. The 370 hectare large project will be built near the city of
Keflavík, just south of the capital of Iceland, Reykjavik.

The course will not be eligable for F1 racing but it will be eligable for A1 racing in the future. The motorsport element of the
development incorporates an FIA homologated Category 2 race circuit of 4.2km, running in an anti-clockwise direction, which,
using link sections, can simultaneously operate two shorter club racing circuits of 2.1km and 2.2km in length. A range of
road safety driver training facilities are also planned, along with an FIA sanctioned quarter-mile drag strip, 1.2km kart circuit
and selection of motocross and off-road activities.

> Large size image (7.5MB | 7875x4678)

> Large size image (3.1MB | 5000x2299)

> Large size image (0.3MB/302kB | 3979x1700)

> Large size image (1.2MB | 3540x1492)

·
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Latest news
Loan granted for IMP
The board of the Icelandic development institution (www.byggdastofnun.is) has granted a loan of up to 200 million Ikr to finance the development of the first phase of Iceland Motopark in Reykjanesbaer.

This first phase of the Motoparks development will be an area of 7Ha (15 acre) and will include a Go-kart circuit, service building and restaurants. The design of the Go-kart circuit has been approved by CIK-FIA, (FEDERATION INTERNATIONALE D´AUTOMOBILE)

A range of road safety driver training facilities that will meet the increased demand for improved preparations for everyone taking driving licence in Iceland set forth in a regulation taking effect on January 1st 2008.

Mr. Vilhjálmur Vilhjálmsson CEO of the Icelandic Motopark says that this agreement with the Icelandic development institution is very important for this stage of the project and long term finance of the construction of the Motopark. It is furthermore a very positive acknowledgment for the entire project and its planning and development.

This agreement with the Icelandic development institution will be the foundation to provide employment opportunities for up to 300 people in the region.
That is from spring this year.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've just discovered these forums and come across this thread about this seemingly magnificent project in my home country of Iceland. However, I am suspicious because I had never seen anything about this project until I discovered this thread, and I like to think that I know what is happening in my tiny country. Also it's no encouraging that their website seems to be dead.

This is probably not going to happen.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
I've just discovered these forums and come across this thread about this seemingly magnificent project in my home country of Iceland. However, I am suspicious because I had never seen anything about this project until I discovered this thread, and I like to think that I know what is happening in my tiny country. Also it's no encouraging that their website seems to be dead.

Too bad...what is the status with the new concert hall/conference centre in Reykiavik, is it being completed in spite of the finincial turmoil?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Too bad...what is the status with the new concert hall/conference centre in Reykiavik, is it being completed in spite of the finincial turmoil?
Yes, it's creeping along at a slower pace than before. The original plans aimed for an opening date in 2009 but the revised plans have pushed it back to early 2011.

Before "the crash", the plan was to have a private entity (Portus Group) build and run the thing with a lease agreement with the government and the city of Reykjavík for many many years. After the crash, the project was taken over by the state and the city. It is now a fully public enterprise.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts

That is not good because it was simply stunning!

Hey I've discovered Iceland!
I hardly knew you existed on this forum earlier,
not before this change of the layout!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts