SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,504 Posts
^^ I watched the interview she did with Willy Kimani from Naivas.....Had her same reaction when I walked into Naivas last December, shocking transformation, their stores actually look world class now.....probably even better than my local Safeway on the produce section.

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
^^ I watched the interview she did with Willy Kimani from Naivas.....Had her same reaction when I walked into Naivas last December, shocking transformation, their stores actually look world class now.....probably even better than my local Safeway on the produce section.
The loss of Nakumatt forced people to adapt.

Now if only Uchumi followed the trends....

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
The loss of Nakumatt forced people to adapt.

Now if only Uchumi followed the trends....
Now the smaller regional chains are following suit. Many have set aside their old names and rebranded with names and ambience in similar fashion to what Tuskys and Naivas did.

But the 24/7 stores gap and huge goods selection is what I really miss. Not even the foreign chains have filled those huge shoes Nakumatt left behind.

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
Now the smaller regional chains are following suit. Many have set aside their old names and rebranded with names and ambience in similar fashion to what Tuskys and Naivas did.

But the 24/7 stores gap and huge goods selection is what I really miss. Not even the foreign chains have filled those huge shoes Nakumatt left behind.
The 24/7 chains will come back but in form of small kiosks. Like 7/11 chains across the world which stock very many products and run 24 hours a day.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
^^ That's impressive. I'll be traveling to Kenya this summer, can't wait to see how progressive the retail industry in Kenya has become. That Naivas design is very contemporary and would fit in NYC very well. I just hope they don't expand too fast and can't keep up with the bills. Good stuff!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep! Was in that Naivas recently. It feels like a Whole Foods or Wegmans which is what I expected of Carrefour. The Carrefour I went to was poorly stocked and poorly lit - they need to do a better job.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yep! Was in that Naivas recently. It feels like a Whole Foods or Wegmans which is what I expected of Carrefour. The Carrefour I went to was poorly stocked and poorly lit - they need to do a better job.
Competition is healthy but the unwritten rule is you're supposed to cheer for the home team.:cheers::cheers:...its great to see the home team outplaying the long established int'l giants.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Competition is healthy but the unwritten rule is you're supposed to cheer for the home team.:cheers::cheers:...its great to see the home team outplaying the long established int'l giants.
I'm all for the home team. In fact I was disappointed that Carrefour was allowed to operate in Kenya, and thought they were allowed to do so because their have a lot to offer only to be disappointed. We should be doing more to protect our own.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Naivas is doing very well, love what theyve done. This new design premiered at capital centre after uchumi left and now they upgraded syokimau and kitengela too. I stopped goind to the capital centre one on sundays, you can't find a parking since naivas came on the scene. Now its gonna get worse with art caffe set to open next week

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
Cleanshelf, Shujaa Mall, Kayole
This concept only existed in rich suburbs.

If I remember Uchumi also has a similar concept of Fresh back in the day before everything went to shit.

I'm really digging what's happening. And makes it easier on a diaspora returnee to find a nice retail setting accustomed too in the West.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Carrefour at the Junction is very limited in stock and variety. I really miss Nakumatt Junction. Naivas has really impressed me, I can't believe it was an offshoot of Tusky. They look serious enough to overtake them. Also impressed with the upcoming supermarket chains. At this rate game and carrefour will be footnotes in the country.

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Carrefour at the Junction is very limited in stock and variety. I really miss Nakumatt Junction. Naivas has really impressed me, I can't believe it was an offshoot of Tusky. They look serious enough to overtake them. Also impressed with the upcoming supermarket chains. At this rate game and carrefour will be footnotes in the country.
Its all Carrefours. Underwhelming indeed. Wonder if they just felt they should not invest too much in the Kenyan market since in their minds we are a poor market with no sophistication.

Oh well...its their loss.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts