SkyscraperCity banner

241 - 260 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Economist's team used the railway from Nairobi to Mombasa and took them almost 24hrs
https://www.1843magazine.com/features/the-lunatic-express

^^

Such a good read. The writer painted a really good picture of his old railway line experience. Sad that it is so poorly managed. I hope someone is really serious about "rebooting" it as the hotel executive said, and make it an adventure railway for sight seeing and such, with proper management. We can only hope.

·
Registered
13,468 Posts

Last ride on the MGR...

·
Registered
128 Posts
^^ the company is out of money, their cutting there losses, people will just use busses untill then

·
Registered
13,468 Posts

Maybe we can copy from Malaysia and properly utilize our metre gauge network the same way they have done.

And since Uhuru is in China.. We should be attract chinese manufacturing investments like CRRC. Since East Africa will be undergoing a massive rail boom.

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Last Ride on the Lunatic Express

·
Registered
13,468 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I wish we could have something like this in Kenya but not exactly the same coz the blue train is a bit pricy with the equivalent price of Ksh 25,000 from Nairobi to Mombasa. We could have a mixture of different types of railcars to run on a version of a luxury train service on the MGR (Provided of course you have an investor to revamp the railway).

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
I wish we could have something like this in Kenya but not exactly the same coz the blue train is a bit pricy with the equivalent price of Ksh 25,000 from Nairobi to Mombasa. We could have a mixture of different types of railcars to run on a version of a luxury train service on the MGR (Provided of course you have an investor to revamp the railway).
Before RVR came in we used to have luxury steam trains. Thank goodness they're still in good condition since they'd just need oiling and restarting of the fireboxes and they're back. proof

Kenya Steam Revival 2006

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I find it hard to conceptualize the meter gauge being sustainable, especially through tourism alone. Thanks for the links. I was reminded of my childhood when I used those steam trains mostly from Elburgon to Koru at the start and end of school. It took the day train five hours to cover 84 kilometers with a stop at every station which required the topping of the water tank. Those were the days when most little towns, especially along the railway line, had running water.

Before RVR came in we used to have luxury steam trains. Thank goodness they're still in good condition since they'd just need oiling and restarting of the fireboxes and they're back. proof

Kenya Steam Revival 2006

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
^^Boss, how old are you.. if you don't mind me asking??

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
I find it hard to conceptualize the meter gauge being sustainable, especially through tourism alone. Thanks for the links. I was reminded of my childhood when I used those steam trains mostly from Elburgon to Koru at the start and end of school. It took the day train five hours to cover 84 kilometers with a stop at every station which required the topping of the water tank. Those were the days when most little towns, especially along the railway line, had running water.
You're right. If they can bring back steam trains on the old line just for tourism like the Nairobi-Nanyuki section where one would get to start at the Fairmont Mt.Kenya Safari Club would be amazing.

But also have the counties living along these lines have something to export like having goods get to market faster in Nairobi.( With the use of diesel trains of course)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Given that land compensation is turning out to be a huge cost in infrastructure development, KR should hang on to the meter-gauge land with plans of conversion to standard gauge.

You're right. If they can bring back steam trains on the old line just for tourism like the Nairobi-Nanyuki section where one would get to start at the Fairmont Mt.Kenya Safari Club would be amazing.

But also have the counties living along these lines have something to export like having goods get to market faster in Nairobi.( With the use of diesel trains of course)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I became a teenager in the 70s. I believe some of the steam trains ran well into the 90s. This may especially be the case with the Butere-Kisumu passenger train. For many years the diesel trains operated along with the steam trains.

^^Boss, how old are you.. if you don't mind me asking??

·
Registered
687 Posts
The meter gauge rail road is still a big valuable asset. They are still in use in many parts of the world. With modern diesel engines it can still generate serious cash from tourism and even specialized cargo.

241 - 260 of 287 Posts