SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Another Masterpiece from SECO

This time its a pilot boat used by maritime pilots to safely guide ships to port... The boat is heading to Tanzania.

We recently secured a contract from the Tanzania Ports Authority (TPA) to construct and deliver three (3) pilot boats.

Designed to specification by Western Australia-based award-winning naval architecture firm Southerly Designs, the vessels will have a length of 20 meters, depth of 3 meters, and a draft of 1.7 meters.

Constructed in steel with an aluminum superstructure and classed by Bureau Veritas | Marine & Offshore, the deckhouse will include seating for two crew and up to 12 passengers, while accommodation for three crew will be provided below deck.

A notable feature of these hulls is the twin skeg arrangement, offering outstanding protection to the running gear and facilitating the use of oversized rudders. The twin keels will provide significantly improved directional stability and roll damping.

Large, direct glazed windows will provide true 360-degree visibility from the central conning position with overhead windows providing clear visibility for approach to the ship and pilot boarding facility. In addition, the split arrangement of the forward deck railings provides an unobstructed view ahead.

Delivery of these boats is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2020.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Kenyan firm sets the pace in assembly of ships for region

A Kenyan company is increasingly making a name as a top ship assembler in the region.

The Mombasa-based Southern Engineering Co. Ltd (SECO) just completed the assembly of two cargo vessels for the Tanzania Ports Authority (TPA) putting Kenya on the map of emerging shipbuilding countries in the region.

The firm has completed two cargo ships for Tanzanian government with a capacity to handle 2,000 tonnes of dry cargo or 72 twenty-foot containers (TEUs). The barges were tested and certified to operate last week.

Due to the use of modern technology in the assembly, SECO has also secured contract from TPA to construct and deliver three pilot boats this year after it successfully built and tested the two cargo barges named Hapa Kazi Tu 01 and Hapa Kazi Tu 02.

More here ...https://www.businessdailyafrica.com...-for-region/4003122-5486144-b9pqd0/index.html

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Another productive week at SECO, custom storage tanks fabrication in progress for one of our clients in the mining industry.​

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Steady progress made over on these sheer beauties. Ongoing construction of three (3) pilot boats ordered by
Tanzania Ports at our shipyard in Mombasa.

Tandem lift!
Successful turning of the hull for one of the three (3) pilot boats ordered by the
Tanzania Ports. All is set for its second stage of construction at our shipyard in Mombasa.​

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Done & dusted! Deck pontoon successfully converted into a Dredging Pontoon at our shipyard in Mombasa.

Renamed as ‘SECO POA 1’, the pontoon has also been fitted with a derrick winch to support our client’s dredging operations in Mozambique.​

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Final touches on Wave 2, a 54m non-propelled flat top barge belonging to Alpha Logistics Services (EPZ) Ltd currently being converted into a RORO ferry at our shipyard in Mombasa​

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Funny our media seems fascinated with Scandal/Tabloid stuff instead of featuring some of the progress going on in our own backyard. I know they have covered these guys before I hope they cover more of these stories as well. I think they built most of those Tug Boats in Mombasa as well. Go SECO!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
“Hapa Kazi Tu” is actually the nickname of the president of Tanzania, Dr. John Pombe Magufuli. Mkuu ni mchapa kazi kwao that’s what he’s known for from the time he was the minister for roads and infrastructure.

·
Registered
812 Posts

Final touches on Wave 2, a 54m non-propelled flat top barge belonging to Alpha Logistics Services (EPZ) Ltd currently being converted into a RORO ferry at our shipyard in Mombasa​
It hurts me when I remember that these guys bid for the project to construct ferries for the Likoni channel but the contract was given to Turkey. Only for the Turks to be caught red handed using substandard material thus leading to a legal battle and delays which cost more money. Had they been given the contract we would have created so many jobs and skills in Mombasa.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
It hurts me when I remember that these guys bid for the project to construct ferries for the Likoni channel but the contract was given to Turkey. Only for the Turks to be caught red handed using substandard material thus leading to a legal battle and delays which cost more money. Had they been given the contract we would have created so many jobs and skills in Mombasa.
With the new Shipyard going up for the Navy. There’s no more excuses.

Shipbuilding has the potential to hire more coastal youths and take them away from the port and to more technical activities.

And with a ship recycling center being built in Kwale County. Shipbuilding is gonna be one big industry Kenya should be able to attract.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Corruption continues to be holding us back very considerably. Kickbacks=tenders. SECO seems not to be paying kickbacks to get boat tenders and therefore relies on private sector and foreign nations.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Navy builds ship in upgraded Kisumu port
Defence CAS Peter Odoyo said building cargo vessel works on course, money saved when vessels built at home
In Summary
• Odoyo said building a vessel at home will save Kenyans Sh1.6 billion because an imported vessel costs Sh2.8 billion.
• The Kenya Defence Forces are expected to hand over the line to Kenya Railways Corporation in 10 days.
The Kenya Navy is building a cargo and passenger vessel for Sh1.2 billion in the Sh3 billion rehabilitated Kisumu port.
Defence CAS Peter Odoyo said on Tuesday building works are on course but did not say when the vessel would be completed.
He is one of many Cabinet officials touring the country to inspect projects, contractors and tell Kenyans the administration of President Uhuru Kenyatta is fulfilling its development promises.

The official spoke while inspecting the Sh3.8 billion rehabilitation of the 217km Nakuru-Kisumu railway line.
The rail works are complete and the Kenya Defence Forces is expected to hand over the line to the Kenya Railways Corporation in 10 days.
Odoyo said building the vessel at home will save Kenyans Kenyans Sh1.6 billion because an imported one costs Sh2.8 billion.
“The Kenya Navy has been underutilised but now the armed forces we are at work,” he said.
The vessel will carry thousands of tons of cargo and passengers.
"It will be bigger than the MV Uhuru,"Odoyo said.
The CAS said KDF has the capacity and expertise to build ships, tanks and rockets.

“Kenyans, don’t be fooled. We have the capacity and experts. Give Kenya Navy money and they will build for a ship that can carry even 100 aircraft, a rocket to the moon and a war tank that can hit something at 50km,” he said.
He also called on university graduates with a First Class degree in electronics, ICT and engineering to seek further training from the KDF.
“We shall train you even more to be the best,” Odoyo said.
Odoyo said Kenya needs more cargo and passenger vessels for regional trade.
The CAS said the Nakuru-Kisumu railway is very important to the refurbished Sh3 billion Kisumu port that needs cargo.
Businesses that relied on the railway will bounce back, creating opportunities for youths.
Odoyo said the MV Uhuru was rehabilitated by Kenya Navy for Sh200 million. The original contractors wanted Sh1.8 billion but Navy construction saved more than Sh1.6 billion.
“We are at the disposal of Kenya Railways and if they want more support from the Navy to rehabilitate more ships we are ready to come in,” Odoyo said.
The MV Uhuru has made 45 trips since last year., usually carrying fuel to Uganda.

Source

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I believe the correct word is retrofit.

But shipbuilding is really untapped. All those fishermen using wooden canoes. I see a big market making fiberglass boats.

The East African market and beyond is largely untapped. Especially in the Congo and it’s rivers.

I’m more interested about them sending a rocket to the Moon.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I believe the correct word is retrofit.

But shipbuilding is really untapped. All those fishermen using wooden canoes. I see a big market making fiberglass boats.

The East African market and beyond is largely untapped. Especially in the Congo and it’s rivers.

I’m more interested about them sending a rocket to the Moon.
Its actually to be built from scratch and to be the largest, MV Uhuru and her sister ship on the other side are the largest in Lake Victoria, but they can’t keep up with the trade, blue economy and shipping demands of L.Victoria. They were supposed to procure a new ship from abroad, transport, then reassemble it in parts in Kisumu, but realised it would be cheaper by half and even better if they built it with local capacity (lesson learnt from the Turkish ferry, we had local builders who said time and time again said they could build something better) it had to get incidents and stall from time to time for greedy government officials to learn to listen to local experts.

On rockets. Ah yes, remember what i posted about Kenya space agency and all the things we can build. Technical Capacity isn’t a problem we have engineers who’ve worked at NASA and ESA.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Its actually to be built from scratch and to be the largest, MV Uhuru and her sister ship on the other side are the largest in Lake Victoria, but they can’t keep up with the trade, blue economy and shipping demands of L.Victoria. They were supposed to procure a new ship from abroad, transport, then reassemble it in parts in Kisumu, but realised it would be cheaper by half and even better if they built it with local capacity (lesson learnt from the Turkish ferry, we had local builders who said time and time again said they could build something better) it had to get incidents and stall from time to time for greedy government officials to learn to listen to local experts.

On rockets. Ah yes, remember what i posted about Kenya space agency and all the things we can build. Technical Capacity isn’t a problem we have engineers who’ve worked at NASA and ESA.
I thought they were retrofitting SS Nyanza which was a steam ship. With a brand new Diesel engine. I didn’t actually think they’re building a brand new vessel. I guess we’ll wait for Presidential launch.

Here’s another firm modernizing kisumu. Globology

Those guys should be at Kenya Space Agency working up with a plan to land a Kenya Rover on the moon by 2035.

Reactions: Bigbird25

·
Registered
748 Posts
I thought they were retrofitting SS Nyanza which was a steam ship. With a brand new Diesel engine. I didn’t actually think they’re building a brand new vessel. I guess we’ll wait for Presidential launch.

Here’s another firm modernizing kisumu. Globology

Those guys should be at Kenya Space Agency working up with a plan to land a Kenya Rover on the moon by 2035.
I have gone to globology's website. They are saying that they are the leading shipyard in Kenya. That is simply not true.
SECO is the leading shipyard in Kenya. They build bigger ships and have gotten several ship-building
contracts even from our neighbours Tanzania and Uganda.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I have gone to globology's website. They are saying that they are the leading shipyard in Kenya. That is simply not true.
SECO is the leading shipyard in Kenya. They build bigger ships and have gotten several ship-building
contracts even from our neighbours Tanzania and Uganda.
Probably in Kisumu region.

But in wider Kenya we have SECO, Comarco, African Marine, etc. and they all team up together.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts