Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Government of Kenya has embarked on a project to build 10,000km roads across the country, in an effort to bring growth and development in the country. The roads will be built in the next five years through annuity concessions. The model will ensure that high volume roads are largely prioritized to enhance effectiveness.

The project will be carried out in three phases. The first phase under the annuity framework will commence on July at a cost of US$457m and will cover areas that have the most demand.....

Link: http://constructionreviewonline.com/2014/06/30/kenya-build-roads-us3b/

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
really awesome!
wish they prioritize dualing mombasa hwy.

Reactions: BenjaminEli

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why are they using these framework finance - design - build - maintain. The Euro bond was suppose to raise money for these kind of projects.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
^^
$2b isn't even enough to build world class roads and interchanges(spaghetti) around nairobi. kenya needs at least $25b solely for roads to bring it to the same level as morocco, algeria, and s.a. in road infrastructure.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
everything is overpriced in europe...and here we talking about oslo??
a city that is 30% more expensive than new york, the benchmark of measurements?
don't use that as a comparison.

·
Banned
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you Kenya needs lots of funds to improve infrastructure to same level with leading countries across Africa...

and "breathing is good way to stop yourself from dying" :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree with you Kenya needs lots of funds to improve infrastructure to same level with leading countries across Africa...

What leading countries? I've been in a lot of African countries, and infrastructurewise, Kenya is definitely in the top league of Sub-saharan Africa.

SA are of course ahead of all other SSA countries, but except them, I'd say maybe Zambia is close to Kenya's level.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts

What leading countries? I've been in a lot of African countries, and infrastructurewise, Kenya is definitely in the top league of Sub-saharan Africa.

SA are of course ahead of all other SSA countries, but except them, I'd say maybe Zambia is close to Kenya's level.
am not trying to compare kenya with petiful countries like uganda, tanzania, zim, congo etc. am looking up to countries like morocco, sa, algeria etc.
we kenyans should stop comparing ourselves to countries that are already behind us. we shold aim to punch above our weight.

Reactions: BenjaminEli

·
Registered
989 Posts

Sorry,

Is this an interchange,A Bridge,A Flyover?
Its amazing and shocking for some people because of their interest put these Roadjunctions same level as SA N4, N12 interchanges?:eek:hno:

East African countries still have long way to go.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
The Ministry Of Transport and Infrastructure Tomorrow will have a one day road Infrastructure Development stakeholders conference to sensitize Key stakeholders on available opportunities in the sub sector under the Annuity Model!This in regard on finishing the 10,000Km within 5years using alternative financing and delivery strategies in partnership with the private sector.The programme is divided in three phases and covers Highways,rural and Urban roads.It includes:1)Phase one is a 2000Km,2)Phase 2 is 3000km,3)Phase three is 5000Km.Phase one is set to commence by December 2014.The Meeting will be at Tsavo Hall,starting at 7.45am to 2pm. Any interested participant can Email via [email protected] or get a registration form from www.transport.go.ke or www.kenha.co.ke

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Participants are invited from the Development partners,Financial Institutions,Contractors,Members of the National Assembly and Senate,County Governments,Consulting Engineers,Surveyors,Planners,Equipment and Materials Manufactures/distributors,Govt Ministries,Dept of Agencies and any other intrested party who want to make the project a succecc!All are welcomed :)

·
Registered
6,573 Posts

·
Banned
1,003 Posts

Sorry,

Is this an interchange,A Bridge,A Flyover?
Its amazing and shocking for some people because of their interest put these Roadjunctions same level as SA N4, N12 interchanges?:eek:hno:

East African countries still have long way to go.
Hiyo sio ya Kenya, Kenya twaendesha upande wa kushoto sio kulia.....

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Got some info on this,His Excllency Uhuru Launched the programme and its going to create over 135,000 jobs for the youth!also on the tender process,also people with disabilities will be considered,over 150 construction companies of which 80 were Chinese participated

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Hizo za job ni zao,they always inflate those figures to take undue credit.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Savannah Cement Targets Roads

Savannah Cement is targeting the road construction sector, as it brings to the market a specially developed product.

The company has begun manufacturing Hydraulic Road Binder (HRB) cement, a product blend that is used to stabilise road surfaces. Savannah on Wednesday said in a statement that it had done so at the behest of the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure.

The product will be used in place of other cement and lime varieties. Combined with soil and water, it will produce a material that will then be used as the foundation for paved roads.

The product has received Kenya Bureau of Standards certification and is being tested by the Transport ministry.

“The new Savannah Cement HRB product, which will retail at a lower rate than conventional cement, is expected to contribute up to 30 per cent approximate cost savings on the Sh25 billion national road construction budget,” managing director Ronald Ndegwa said.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I listened to the local contractors and all they seemed interested in is getting big money.The good sign there are many Chinese contracors.This figure of 2000km for 2014/2015 year seems unachievable because the projects will start in Dec 2014.I also saw on the Citizen website that there was an intention before to build 10,000km but the govt only manages to build 400km a year.Good luck

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Wait till you see how The Public Investment Committee Pounces on this,it will be grilled forever not in favour of the project but for sitting allowances!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts