SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been following this guy since 2010 and i think he is a great innovator. And he has a real genuine dream to manufacture Kenya's first plane but the problem is that he has no investor to help him out if he had some much needed critical funds he could propel our country forward.

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting project that ive been following as well.

Hopefully He can get this project "flying" in the near future.
Me too but he needs to redesign the plane so that the engine is at the back not the front to much drag will be created with the current design he has, With an engine in the back of the plane he can now effectively change the weight of the plane,strengthen the wings and the legs and create more more suitable aerodynamic structure that would generate the much needed lift. And he also need a wind tunnel to help him identify the stresses on the plane because once that thing is in the air and gets hit by a single breeze then its done. I wish i can talk with the guy

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update

he looks to advancing well + looks like he is getting some investors interested

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
update

he looks to advancing well + looks like he is getting some investors interested
Am sure he knows he may need a stronger a engine and better propellers to that leave the ground.
All in all good progress. He might need to talk to that guy from Nyeri, Gachamba(Gashamba) who had a similar idea. I remember seeing him (Gashamba) in the Nyeri show years back.

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am sure he knows he may need a stronger a engine and better propellers to that leave the ground.
All in all good progress. He might need to talk to that guy from Nyeri, Gachamba(Gashamba) who had a similar idea. I remember seeing him (Gashamba) in the Nyeri show years back.
Its still a learning curve for the guy but he is advancing pretty well, with offers of helping coming in the thing will fly off the ground.

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope the local plane builder will see this video so he can understand this POV from an Aeronautical Technician

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Kenya needs a serious investment in education. Julius in the video says he had not seen the inside of a plane in college yet he was an Aeronautical student. Or when you are an IT student learning about computer hardware and have never seen the inside of a computer. Am not talking of the big universities, just your regular college or technical school, even the many private colleges that come up in the towns, funds should be made available to them to buy "stuff".

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Learned about the first Kenya to successful test a homemade plane was Morris Gachamba in 1970s, but no kenyan knows him so i plan to spread the words of his achievement

In the 1960s, Gachamba became friends with an English tourist he would go out fishing with. The tourist owned a small plane and took Gachamba out for a short trip around Lake Naivasha. Gachamba became enamored with flying and soon wanted to build his own. Come the 1970s, he became the first Kenyan to build an airplane.[1] It was a single-seater plane with aluminum sheets for the body and a Volkswagen Beetle engine. Testing it out at a local airstrip, Gachamba was surprised it flew. Once in the air, he decided to take advantage of the opportunity and fly the craft to his nearby home. Minutes into the trip, the engine overheated and the plane crashed. Gachamba walks with a limp to this day that he acquired from that test ride.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Kiambu Man Attempts To Build Chopper .

I figured I could just post this here as well, since both guys had similar ideas. I thought it was amazing for a standard six drop out to even figure out how to put the plane together, it only flies six feet but it's still a good trial on his part.

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope that 6bn youth funds will help this young man he really put a smile on my face. I'm actually impressed that it lifted 6ft off the ground and its so rudimentary constructed.

With funds and professional help this guy can really help develop Kenya's light helicopter market and help people get jobs this young man is an innovator.

When i visit Kenya next year I'm going to make sure i seek this man out...

Reactions: Mwana Pwani

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Why should the government fund someone to reinvent the wheel?

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why should the government fund someone to reinvent the wheel?
So he can develop an industry where kenyan helicopters are built. Which would create jobs and increase kenya's aviation manufacturing sector.

Why spend millions buy foreign planes when we can buy homegrown in turn it would supplement the economy and keep the money home.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
So he can develop an industry where kenyan helicopters are built. Which would create jobs and increase kenya's aviation manufacturing sector.

Why spend millions buy foreign planes when we can buy homegrown in turn it would supplement the economy and keep the money home.
Thats the right move but backing the wrong horse, that contraption is not going to rise a foot even if we sink millions there, why not take him to school first to know that helicopter blades are not cosmetic?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thats the right move but backing the wrong horse, that contraption is not going to rise a foot even if we sink millions there, why not take him to school first to know that helicopter blades are not cosmetic?
True, true. Instead of these folks spending all their money building a plane that most likely won't fly, why not invest in an education to discover how planes are constructed

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't mean we copy his design which is so rudimentary and unsafe i meant was that with proper funding and professional help a proper design could be made that would be used to built a working model. This guy of course would get paid his commission and retire rich while the helicopter would get developed by a Kenyan born corporation which would be sold in kenya and africa.

We all must start somewhere

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kenyan Drone

Reactions: Mwana Pwani

·
Registered
433 Posts
^^ Wow! interesting. Way to go Gichanga (former workmate):banana:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts