SkyscraperCity banner

1741 - 1760 of 1791 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Anginey athum oru vazhikkayi.

'Jet' folds its wings and goes the King Fischer way. Joining the long line of private airlines closing shops in India. Rendering twenty thousand employees jobless.

Only thing remaining to be seen is what Mr.Goyal will do with Rs.8000 Crores he owes to different banks. Will he go the Mallya way too? And how many employees with him shall commit suicide?

This shows the risk in putting all your trusts in a private guy. Especially a novice.

TRV, beware. Who knows, ultimately the much maligned good old AAI shall come to our rescue when most needed.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The good days for domestic air travellers in India are over. The future looks very bleak.

Many Indian airlines have closed shops. The rest are in red during the financial year 2018-2019.

The main reason for this loss making is the ridiculously low domestic fare due to a lot of factors, including fierce competition, leading to dynamic pricing. Can you imagine it! You can fly from Kannur to Mumbai or Delhi for Rs.2000/- or less.

In the days ahead, I will have to revert back to good old 'Theevandi' if I wanted to travel to Delhi. Who can afford Rs.14000/- for a ticket to Delhi in a flight? Definitely not me with my meagre pension. This high pricing of air tickets is where it will lead with the failure of most of the private airlines.

I was a votary for the privatization of airlines. I even recommended the dissolution of Air India. No more. Now I say public sector airlines should be maintained. It is the last resort for scoundrels like me. Even though what ever is subsidised by them and their losses are going to be borne by common citizen's through the taxes they pay.

Jai AI. Jai IA. Jai AIX. And jai AAI.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The good days for domestic air travellers in India are over. The future looks very bleak.

Many Indian airlines have closed shops. The rest are in red during the financial year 2018-2019.

The main reason for this loss making is the ridiculously low domestic fare due to a lot of factors, including fierce competition, leading to dynamic pricing. Can you imagine it! You can fly from Kannur to Mumbai or Delhi for Rs.2000/- or less.

In the days ahead, I will have to revert back to good old 'Theevandi' if I wanted to travel to Delhi. Who can afford Rs.14000/- for a ticket to Delhi in a flight? Definitely not me with my meagre pension. This high pricing of air tickets is where it will lead with the failure of most of the private airlines.

I was a votary for the privatization of airlines. I even recommended the dissolution of Air India. No more. Now I say public sector airlines should be maintained. It is the last resort for scoundrels like me. Even though what ever is subsidised by them and their losses are going to be borne by common citizen's through the taxes they pay.

Jai AI. Jai IA. Jai AIX. And jai AAI.
Even the Indian Railway is heavily subsidized and in the red. The only reason it has kept on chugging is because the Government has moolah to throw at it, and as the biggest employer in the country, ill affordability to disband it. If the railways were to dynamically price (as it has with a few trains), the fares match that of a flight -- sometimes more -- in the case of AC coaches. That is why some trains got less attractive, as they seemingly costed more than the flight in the same route.
Fierce Competition alone is not responsible for Jet's nosedive. It was one of the factors, certainly, but you still see budget airline companies staying afloat. Jet made a few mistakes here and there, and in the long run it added up to a costly consequence -- as they say, pallathulli peruvellam. It was exacerbated by the fact that Naresh Goyal refused to realise his time was up, and hung on to the company longer than he should. Had he exited earlier, I am sure it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to say that the things could have turned out differently. Even then, the consortium was trying to save Jet, until the Supreme Court ruled an RBI directive as unconstitutional -- which was the basis of the revival plan.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
All said and done, the fact remains that, all the airline companies in India have accrued losses in the financial year 2018- 2019. That is what I read in the news papers. I have not read their balance sheet. Even if I do, I will not understand it. Always my perspective is a layman's perspective.

How come only jet's loss is due to mismanagement and the loss of others is due to 'good management'. It is illogical.

The fact of the matter is there comes a breaking point any firm's existence beyond which it cannot go. The proverbial 'last straw on the camel's back'. All other sops and help can work only that far.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I will never want the Indian railways to be privatised. Even when it is subsidised and sucking up tax payer's money. Because it is the life line of the poor. Without which the mobility of the poor will be totally curtailed.

And subsidy is not a foolish concept restricted to India alone. Public transport is subsidised even in developed countries. In USA even farmers and agriculture are subsidised. Kochi metro in a way is a subsidised elite mode of public transport.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The funny thing I have seen universally in India is the duplicity in the attitude of Indian public towards privatisation and subsidy. Ellavarum valiya vaayil parayum, privatisation is the only way out for our country. And subsidies are sucking up the resource of the country and tax payer's money. Only because some subsidy is given to farmers and common man. Let the subsidy of things used by the elite be removed. All hell will break loose.

Petrol price cannot be left to the vagaries of market force. Because it is the fuel for BMWs and Mercedes. All choicest of words will be used against government by the rich. Let the price of a cylinder of LPG gas be increased to Rs.2000/-. All the champions of market force will come against it.

This is the disease especially the rich are afflicted with. They always forget that they too are enjoying the benefit of subsidy given on a fertilizer to the farmer. When it comes to the subsidy on the fertilizer it is bad. Subsidy on petrol and cooking gas is good, because I am using it.

There is an option to give a declaration to the LPG distribution for cooking, that one does not need the subsidy on gas cylinders to be credited to his Bank account. Show me one champion of market force who has declared he does not want this subsidy. Any of you here?

If you have not, it is best to shut up our mouth against subsidy.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
This is the disease especially the rich are afflicted with. They always forget that they too are enjoying the benefit of subsidy given on a fertilizer to the farmer. When it comes to the subsidy on the fertilizer it is bad. Subsidy on petrol and cooking gas is good, because I am using it.
If you have not, it is best to shut up our mouth against subsidy.
If Southern Railway headquartered at Chennai TN can run electric train at 5 rs minimum charge all around chennai, but turn a blind eye to start same train between Kannur and Kovai, via Calicut its double standards.
If i have not, why shut up .
Mangalore to Goa there is MEMU, all over India there is MEMU why not in Kannur - Kovai City

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
What you are talking is not at all connected to what I wrote.

Moreover this is an aviation thread. Not a railway thread. I wrote about the subsidised train travel only because somebody mentioned it incidentally.

·
Travancore
8,882 Posts

1741 - 1760 of 1791 Posts