SkyscraperCity banner

1701 - 1720 of 1751 Posts

·
@#$%^&
1,804 Posts
First of all, it's not the largest mall in India. Not even second or third.
Second, it's high time we stop discussing such petty things. At least for your sake, it's quite stupid that people down south still hold the nerves for debate over size, length, weight, depth and what not! Come on guys, get over it. We have crossed that age.
^^Thats the point, We should cross that age. Keep this words in mind and act always :lol::lol:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
First of all, it's not the largest mall in India. Not even second or third. Second, it's high time we stop discussing such petty things. At least for your sake, it's quite stupid that people down south still hold the nerves for debate over size, length, weight, depth and what not! Come on guys, get over it. We have crossed that age.
By this logic, when Saudi completes Jeddah Tower and claims it is the tallest, UAE will be like, "come on... stop claiming such petty things... We have crossed that age. 172 M taller than 828M is nothing significant. Skyscrapers are not novel nowadays..." :lol:

But since when did these become "petty things"? The mall size discussion was going on for years in this forum and if you go back, the discussions were going on with full energy until about September 2018 (just a year ago). Wonder what happened at that time?

Coincidently, that's when Rajesh SM posted the EC clearance details of LuLu mall in Kochi (which many forumers here relentlessly asked him for years). That's also the same time when Lulu updated the GLA in their website for the first time. Wonder if that has anything to do with this sudden loss of interest in the mall size! ;)

^^Having visited Phoenix in Mumbai, i am sure that the Kochi Lulu is no competition on the total size to the former.
Hmm.. interesting change of mind... Phoenix vs Kochi LuLu discussions started as soon as Lulu began their works in Kochi. There were many discussions even with Mumbai forumers. Are you saying that what Kochi lulu claimed all these years was a lie? And if so, why are you saying it now after ignoring that for all these years?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Please Sir,

There is at least one person in this forum who always mocked the tallest, biggest, longest, shortest, hardest, thickest, strongest, broadest, roundest, softest, deepest claims. I always made fun of it and shall continue to do so. Whether it is Thiruvananthapuram or Kochi or Kozhikode. Dubai I am not bothered. It is childish, to say the least.

Please tell me whether I shall get the goodies the 'cheapest' in Thiruvananhapuram Lulu than in a Kochi Lulu. Then I am interested.

Please also tell me whether this mall and such establishments coming in close quarters of the newly built road will make a mess out of this road.

If it will, it is high time to start a new thread in SSC for another new by pass road for Thirontharam.

·
Registered Kochiite
19,884 Posts
By this logic, when Saudi completes Jeddah Tower and claims it is the tallest, UAE will be like, "come on... stop claiming such petty things... We have crossed that age. 172 M taller than 828M is nothing significant. Skyscrapers are not novel nowadays..." :lol:
Lol, my friend don't get hyper for what i have said. I have never fought in this forum over height and size. And my comment was based on someone's post claiming it as the largest mall in India (and not Kerala). And i'm 100% sure of what i'm speaking.

And to point out the irony in your above comparison, a 1 km tall building is 'significantly' taller than a 828 m tower which is a landmark on the planet. the same cannot be said if Saudi was building the tallest tower in Saudi. For example, Dubai is building Creek tower which will probably be the tallest structure in Dubai and second tallest on the planet once complete. But it doesn't get the same recognition which Burj Khalifa or Kingdom tower got. And when Lulu Kochi was being built, it was significantly bigger than all malls in Kerala and also among the biggest in the country. Let's agree that Lulu Tvpm may be the biggest in the state but definitely not in India as claimed.

And I visited Phoenix just last year. So couldn't comment with confidence before. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Lol, my friend don't get hyper for what i have said. I have never fought in this forum over height and size. And my comment was based on someone's post claiming it as the largest mall in India (and not Kerala). And i'm 100% sure of what i'm speaking.
And you got hyper because "someone" said it's the largest mall in India! To be clear, it's not just "someone" who made that claim. The official LuLu website made that claim, just like they did with Kochi LuLu a few years before.

And you never fought in this forum over height and size?:lol: I can quote plenty of posts of you arguing about the size of LuLu. And not only you, but you can also go back in this thread and find that the argument about the size of the mall was going on with full energy by many forumers until September 2018.

And when Lulu Kochi was being built, it was significantly bigger than all malls in Kerala and also among the biggest in the country. Let's agree that Lulu Tvpm may be the biggest in the state but definitely not in India as claimed.
I'm talking about the largest in India in both cases. Noticed now Kochi Lulu suddenly became "among the biggest". It was earlier "the biggest"! Still wonder happened to change your mind like that all of a sudden. ;)

Are you saying what Lulu said all these years about Kochi mall was a lie? Are you saying that many Kochi forumers here in this forum just blatantly lied about the size of Lulu Kochi?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
One doubt. Though I am not a big admirer of malls, I am not ashamed to state I have visited a few malls in various cities of India and abroad. Now this is the doubt I have.

How long will the malls sustain in India?

The first mall I visited in India was Forum mall of Bengaluru. Even though it may be smaller than Kochi Lulu mall, it was a novelty in Bengaluru back then. The building was chock a block with people. It was hard to find little space for your foot hold when I visited it a decade ago.

Same mall I visited recently. The crowd has come down drastically. Many outlets are closed due to unsustainability.

Similarly I visited Hilite mall of Kozhikode three months back. It had ample parking space. The crowd seemed to be decent. But it was deceptive. A vast majority of them had come there on picnic. The only floor that was decently full was the top floor where the food court situated. All other retail outlets had very little patronage. Not sustainable in the long run to cover the high rentals there. I have no doubt many of them will close down within next four or five years. Like the Forum mall of Bengaluru.

The malls have become out of fashion in US and Europe.

How long will it sustain in Kerala? Can any expert on malls enlighten me?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Do not fight over the size of your mall dear Trivandrumites and Kochiites. You are all mistaken.

I say Kannur 'mall', the first self proclaimed mall in kanmur is the biggest or largest or fattest in India.

I am not saying it for no reasons. It is really a wonder.

It's escalators have come to a stand still long back. If you enter the elevators, there is no guarantee that you will ever come out alive. That is if you ever would come out.

If you enter any floor other than the ground and first floor, make sure you be prepared to call fire rescue. Your head or body will be entangled in huge cobwebs. Nobody can extricate you except a rescue team.

I went to fourth floor where the 'food court' stood once. You can find hordes of mice, rats and bandicoots running here and there. The court fellow has abandoned it long ago.

There was supposed to be a revolving restaurant, mind you the first one in Kerala, on the top floor. Which was supposed to revolve continuously, while you munched through your chicken kebab, exposing to you the magnificent view of Kannur, including the Payyambalam beach. Alas, nobody has come forward to take it. Now all the glass structures through which you were supposed to peek out, has started to fall down one by one. The aluminium cladding of the entire seven floor structure has started to peel off.

There is dirt and dust every where. There are no takers for any floor. It has a haunted look. Enter this 'mall' at your own risk. You will be bed ridden due to fever arising out of fright. This must be the first mall in the whole world without parking space for even ten cars.

I pity its promoter. I do not know where he or she is today.

So brothers of Thiruvananhapuram and Kochi. Do not fight over your malls. You can see a mall like 'Kannur mall' only in your dreams.

·
Registered Kochiite
19,884 Posts
And you got hyper because "someone" said it's the largest mall in India! To be clear, it's not just "someone" who made that claim. The official LuLu website made that claim, just like they did with Kochi LuLu a few years before.
The website of a U/C development says this. Seriously!
"LuLu Mall, in the city of Thiruvananthapuram , Kerala, is the largest shopping mall in India in terms of total area. It is one of the most visited places in Kerala!."

The tagline has seemingly good resemblance from this page.

So what if Lulu indicates that it's the largest mall in the world? Come on, dude, everyone knows the mall is not "going to be" the largest in the country. For that matter, another Lulu website 'claims' it as the second largest in Kerala. As i said before, let's agree it is the biggest in the state but definitely not in the country.
And you never fought in this forum over height and size?:lol: I can quote plenty of posts of you arguing about the size of LuLu.
Come on, go ahead. Show a single post claiming where i "fought" over it's size.
I'm talking about the largest in India in both cases.
No it is not. When Lulu Kochi was launched, it was perhaps the largest mall then. Definitely not for Lulu Tvpm. Just be sure.
Are you saying what Lulu said all these years about Kochi mall was a lie? Are you saying that many Kochi forumers here in this forum just blatantly lied about the size of Lulu Kochi?
May be. Just like you say the same about Lulu Tvpm now :p

·
here and there
4,455 Posts
One doubt. Though I am not a big admirer of malls, I am not ashamed to state I have visited a few malls in various cities of India and abroad. Now this is the doubt I have.

How long will the malls sustain in India?

The first mall I visited in India was Forum mall of Bengaluru. Even though it may be smaller than Kochi Lulu mall, it was a novelty in Bengaluru back then. The building was chock a block with people. It was hard to find little space for your foot hold when I visited it a decade ago.

Same mall I visited recently. The crowd has come down drastically. Many outlets are closed due to unsustainability.

Similarly I visited Hilite mall of Kozhikode three months back. It had ample parking space. The crowd seemed to be decent. But it was deceptive. A vast majority of them had come there on picnic. The only floor that was decently full was the top floor where the food court situated. All other retail outlets had very little patronage. Not sustainable in the long run to cover the high rentals there. I have no doubt many of them will close down within next four or five years. Like the Forum mall of Bengaluru.

The malls have become out of fashion in US and Europe.

How long will it sustain in Kerala? Can any expert on malls enlighten me?
Most malls in Kerala has shops of mens cloth brands. These shops can survive on festival seasons as their entire stocks get cleared then . In Hi-Lite, an Eid-ul-fitr is more than enough for mens wear shops :). And compared to Bangalore our entire population is not in a chance to switch to online shopping. And recently people are realizing that online purchases may end up in sub-standards items compared to showrooms. (I stop purchasing from Myntra etc. due to this -for eg. A uspa/tommy t shirt I purchase in Gulf has better quality than one I purchase from India, and the one I purchase from Indian showrooms are way better than the one from online shops. - it is not only a single experience) And government regulations on online shopping will also help showrooms in near future.

Apart from this, cinemas, foodcourts , kids play area and supermarkets will always have good patronage as the respective cities grows.
But other shops like electronics, women's clothing, accessories etc. may have a bad time. But a city with single big Mall will not go empty at any time soon. but multiple large malls in a small city may have issues. Bangalore that is not comparable with our cities.

But most importantly as the economy is going down , this will affect malls as well as everything else.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The website of a U/C development says this. Seriously!
"LuLu Mall, in the city of Thiruvananthapuram , Kerala, is the largest shopping mall in India in terms of total area. It is one of the most visited places in Kerala!."

The tagline has seemingly good resemblance from this page.
LoL! Do you really think that they copied that without knowing the actual meaning of "the largest shopping mall in India"? :lol:

The website of a U/C development says this. So what if Lulu indicates that it's the largest mall in the world? Come on, dude, everyone knows the mall is not "going to be" the largest in the country. For that matter, another Lulu website 'claims' it as the second largest in Kerala. As i said before, let's agree it is the biggest in the state but definitely not in the country.
The data in the link you posted came in 2015 during the announcement of the project. It says second largest in Kerala may be because of a good marketing decision. Who in the right mind will destroy such a good marketing claim for a mall under construction for the next 3 to 4 years? And I remember that report making many forumers in this forum very happy. :) But the happiness ended in 2018, when the same LuLu published the details of LuLu mall Kochi. And that's the same time when some people started to say things like "size doesn't matter" etc. :p

Come on, go ahead. Show a single post claiming where i "fought" over it's size.
Well, here is you trying to prove LuLu is 25lakh sq ft by quoting the LuLu website.

The Lulu website itself says 2.5 million sq ft. Do we need a more authentic source?
And here is you ignoring/mocking another forumer for saying Phoenix marketcity is bigger than Kochi LuLu.

A very comprehensive study conducted by an organization called asipac regarding malls of India which was published in many journals also. Which clearly says GLA of Lulu Kochi as 1.05 million sqft making it 2 nd largest Mall in India by GLA and Total built up area after Phoenix market City Mumbai which is bigger by both category.
^^
The people who did the 'comprehensive study' couldn't even take a real picture of the Kochi Lulu.
And it doesn't matter whether you did it or not. The fact remains that many of Kochi, Trivandrum (and even Mumbai) forumers discussed/argued about the size of Kochi Lulu mall from as early as 2010.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
No it is not. When Lulu Kochi was launched, it was perhaps the largest mall then. Definitely not for Lulu Tvpm. Just be sure.
How is that possible?:lol: You said Phonix market city is the largest in India. It was there when Kochi LuLu launched in 2013. You can see Phoenix vs LuLu discussions even before LuLu opened.

May be. Just like you say the same about Lulu Tvpm now :p
There is no "maybe". :) If your current claim is true, then you are saying LuLu group and many of your fellow forumer friends here blatantly lied about the size of LuLu mall Kochi for about 10 years!

Let me say why you got so triggered by that photo! Until September 2018, your friends in this forum claimed LuLu Kochi as the largest mall in India. And when Trivandrum forumers said Trivandrum LuLu is going to be bigger, your fellow forumers got triggered attacked anyone who said that and started asking for proof. Then LuLu posted the details of Kochi LuLu mall and it proved what many forumers here said was true and Trivandrum LuLu is going to be a bigger mall. That's the same time many here started to say things like "size is not everything etc.".

And that's why you accepted Lulu Trivandrum as the biggest in the state. But now is hell bent on proving it's not the biggest in India, even it meant disproving your fellow forumers from your city! Why is that?

Its human tendancy...thr is a proverb..."muttathe mullakku manamilla"
If lulu is 1.7mn...our own people will prove mall in mumbai or delhi as 1.705 mn sqft by including footpath also..
Just ignore all that and wait fr grand opening.
:)

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Sometimes a microscopic virus can be bigger, stronger and powerful than a Kochi Lol Lol or a Thirontharam Lol Lol.

I learnt this lesson recently my dear xeno axe and Malayali.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
My point is to prove that the mall u/c in Tvpm is not going to be the largest in the country. If someone wants to prove otherwise, let it be. EOD!
And my question is, why are you trying to "prove" it all of a sudden, even it meant destroying the claims made by the mall in your city and disproving your fellow forumers from your city? You had about 10 years of discussion to "prove" it. But why now?

I'm not going to prove Phonix is smaller/shorter etc again. Because many Kochi forumers already did that many times here in this very thread. So I don't feel there is a need to do that again. And also, as you can see, many forumers here are not really interested in it also. So why bother everyone? :)

Here is the thing. Like many people here says, for a consumer, being the largest or biggest doesn't matter. But in a marketing perspective, it makes a huge difference. "Largest in the country" is a huge marketing term. So, we are going to use it, especially when LuLu group is also using it to promote their mall, just like they did with their mall in Kochi. That's it. End of story. If you personally feel it's wrong, it's also fine. It's your mind. :) FIN!

1701 - 1720 of 1751 Posts