SkyscraperCity banner

1961 - 1980 of 1985 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,961 (Edited)
Riva, I think it may not be ideal to elevate most panchayaths to municipal status unless it is imperative and they feel they cannot survive without miniicipal status. Let there be a special fund for those panchayaths that can be considered as town panchayaths rather than having municipal towns every 5Kms.
In states like Maharashtra, TN etc the towns having similar urbanization are municipalities. And then there are Nagar Panchayats (in Maharashtra) and Town Panchayats in TN. Most of the panchayats in TN or Maharashtra have an area of 2-10 sq km.

In Kerala there are many panchayats having area 100-700 sq km. Such panchayats should be divided into 3-7. Some examples of such panchayats are Kuttampuzha, Ayyampuzha (Ernakulam), Athirapally, Kodassery (Thrissur), Nelliyampathy (Palakkad), Seethathode, Thannithode, Aruvappulam, Vadasserikkara (Pathanamthitta), Kulathuppuzha, Thenmala, Aryankavu Kollam), Peringammala (TVM), Munnar, Devikulam, Kumily, Vandiperiyar, Adimali (Idukki), Chakkittappara (Kozhikode).

The most of the panchayats I mentioned here are more urbanized than municipalities like Anthoor, Sreekandapuram, Sulthan Bathery, Mananthavady, etc.

·
Keralite
163 Posts
Have you been to Sreekandapuram, Sulthan Bathery, Mananthavady.

Are you Comparing Nelliyampathy,Devikulam,Adimali,Athirapally with above 3, Please Visit before Comparing Brother.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,963
Have you been to Sreekandapuram, Sulthan Bathery, Mananthavady.

Are you Comparing Nelliyampathy,Devikulam,Adimali,Athirapally with above 3, Please Visit before Comparing Brother.
I have been to Sulthan Bathery and Sreekandapuram.

As per 2011 Census, Mananthavady, Sulthan Bathery, Sreekandapuram were Rural and not even Census Towns.

While Aroor, Mannar, Kozhenchery, Chavara, Kundara, etc were Urban and Census Towns. Munnar, Kumily etc are also eligible to become municipalities if Sulthan Bathery, Mananthavady and Sreekandapuram is municipality.

I didn't compared Sreekandapuram, Mananthavady, Sulthan Bathery etc with Nelliyampathy, Devikulam, Adimali, or Athirapally. I compared it with places like Aroor, Mannar, Kozhencherry, Chavara, Kundara, Kilimanoor, Kattakkada, etc.

Regarding Kuttampuzha, Ayyampuzha, Seethathode, Aryankavu, Kulathupuzha, Peringammala, Nelliyampathy, Devikulam, Adimali, or Athirapally - I never said these panchayats should be upgraded as municipalities. The area of these panchayats are 100 to 700 sq km. I only said these panchayats should be split into 3 to 7 smaller panchayats. It is absurd to have a panchayat for an area of 100-700 sq km.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Let me change the subject.

There is a proposal and talk about turning Kerala cities in to 24 hours urban centres. Especially Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram. I invite all of yours considered opinion on it. First let me state categorically neither I am for it nor against it. I have no issues if the proposal succeeds. Please keep the discussion decent, without stooping to lower personal levels. No problem whether you are for it or against it. That is not the point.

First my take on it.

The only city that has tried it so far is Mumbai. I am sad to say this has not succeeded as expected. Even otherwise Mumbai was a city which slept for hardly three hours. Till the wee hours of 1am the city is on. Its public transport, both rail and road is on till 2am. Again it starts by 4am. You can see many lady employees returning home in the last suburban train which leaves at 1 am. Including bar girls. So the city sleeps for only three hours.

Even after the situations being this, their efforts to keep the city wakeful through out the night has failed. One reason is very few revellers want to roam the city streets through out the night. For those who do, there are many selected spots in the city around railway stations, airport, bus stations etc already. The brothels are open through out the night.

Second, the business establishments who keep open, can never attract enough customers after 11pm. The sales will not cover the expenses they incur by employing staff in the night.

And third, there is always security concern in not so popular areas.

Against this back drop you evaluate Kochi or Thiruvananthapuram. If it cannot succeed in Mumbai, how can it succeed in Kochi? How many establishments and public transport will be willing to invest in a night life to cater to the fancy of a handful? And how many girls will be willing to have a full night life? And what are the law and order maintenance department going to do about it.

I am sceptical. What about You?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,965
In Sulthan Bathery Municipality, the areas like Chethalayam, Chenadu, Kidanganad, Kallumukku, Kuppady, etc are either Tribal or Rural.

In Mananthavady Municipality, the areas like Payyampally, Cheroor, Valliyurkavu, Chirakkara, Pilakkavu etc are Rural.

In Mananthavady Municipality, the areas like Nediyanga is rural.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
First state categorically whether there is any criteria and guidelines to declare an area urban.

Is it the population density? Is it the occupation of its citizens? Is it per capita income? Is it availability of public transport, electricity, educational institutes, health care? Is it the total population and total area? Is it a natural boundary like a river, sea or mountain? Is it district or Taluk borders? Without specifying these it is futile to talk about it.

It surely cannot be the number of malls, multiplexes, high rise buildings or 'junctions'.

And different states are upgrading according to their local needs.

According to me the entire coastal Kerala is a single urban sprawl and any place can be notified as urban.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Coming back to night life, the practical and wise thing to do in Kerala context is this.

Extend the government permitted working hours of commercial establishments to the maximum extend possible. For bars up to 12 in the night. For cinema halls again 12 in the night. Same for eateries. Atleast 11pm for stores and super markets. So on and so forth. Let us see how things pan out.

Insist on employers providing dormitory for night lady employees. Establish efficient night patrolling by police till 12 in the night.

And let everybody go to sleep by 1am. What is the need to make every 'raatri' a 'Shiva Raatri'.

·
Registered
211 Posts
ദുരിതാശ്വാസ ഫണ്ടുകൾ കട്ട് മുടിച്ചതു കാരണം പുതിയ വില്ലേജുകൾ, പഞ്ചായത്തുകൾ , മുനിസിപ്പാലിറ്റികൾ രൂപവത്കരിക്കാൻ പണമില്ല. പകരം പുതിയ വാർഡുകൾ വിഭജിക്കും.

ഇന്നത്തെ സ്ഥിതിയിൽ കേരളത്തിൽ 300-400 പുതിയ വില്ലേജുകൾ രൂപവല്കരിക്കണം.
അത് പോലെ തന്നെ അഞ്ചു പുതിയ മുനിസിപ്പൽ കോർപ്പറേഷനുകൾ (ആലപ്പുഴ, കോട്ടയം, പാലക്കാട്, തലശ്ശേരി, മലപ്പുറം), ഒരു 40-50 പുതിയ മുനിസിപ്പാലിറ്റികൾ, ഏകദേശം 300 പുതിയ പഞ്ചായത്തുകൾ രൂപവല്കരിക്കണം.

പത്തനംതിട്ട ജില്ലയിൽ കോഴഞ്ചേരി, കോന്നി, റാന്നി, കോയിപ്രം, മല്ലപ്പള്ളി എന്നിവ നഗരസ്വഭാവം ഉള്ള പഞ്ചായത്തുകൾ ആണ്. ആലപ്പുഴയിൽ അരൂർ, മാന്നാർ എന്നിവ നഗരസ്വഭാവം ഉള്ള പഞ്ചായത്തുകൾ. കൊല്ലത്ത് കുണ്ടറ, ചവറ, ചാത്തന്നൂർ, പത്തനാപുരം എന്നിവ നഗരസ്വഭാവം ഉള്ള പഞ്ചായത്തുകൾ ആണ്.
തിരുവനന്തപുരത്ത് കിളിമാനൂർ, കാട്ടാക്കട, പാറശ്ശാല, ബാലരാമപുരം, കരകുളം എന്നിവ നഗരസ്വഭാവം ആർജിച്ച പഞ്ചായത്തുകൾ ആണ്. കോട്ടയത്ത് കാഞ്ഞിരപ്പള്ളി, എരുമേലി, ചിറക്കടവ് (പൊൻകുന്നം), കടുത്തുരുത്തി എന്നിവ നഗരസ്വഭാവുള്ള പഞ്ചായത്തുകൾ ആണ്. ഇടുക്കി ജില്ലയിൽ മൂന്നാർ, അടിമാലി, നെടുങ്കണ്ടം, കുമിളി, പീരുമേട് എന്നിവ നരസ്വഭാവം ആർജ്ജിച്ചിട്ടുണ്ട്.
It is not fare to upgrade all slightly urbanization panchayaths like chavara to municipalities.
If we think like this, most of the places in Kerala have some urban nature. So 85 percentage panchayaths in Kerala needs upgradation.
So according to me , upgradation should be done only according to revenue , population , uraban nature of panchayaths & importance of that place also.
A very low revenue panchayath cannot withstand as a municipality for long time.
Upgradation & sudden degradation of panthalam panchayath is a very well example.

·
here and there
4,455 Posts
Most of those small towns are some 2 or 3 km main road filled with shops (Thanks to Gulf money as most NRIs still think that investing in buildings in their homeland is the best investment) apart from these they don't have anything urban in nature.

Within few years 99% of Kerala panchayats will become these kind of towns. upgrading them all to municipalities are not practical.

we must follow something more scientific for categorization . Big three corporations must be upgraded to a 100ward Municipal corporation.
others can be Corporations. Municipalities also can be divided in to two categories ( big and small ). so as panchayats -town panchayats and village panchayats . Fund must be allocated according to their categories.

we have become a complex urban experience. we need equal complex system to govern it.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,972
It is not fare to upgrade all slightly urbanization panchayaths like chavara to municipalities.
If we think like this, most of the places in Kerala have some urban nature. So 85 percentage panchayaths in Kerala needs upgradation.
So according to me , upgradation should be done only according to revenue , population , uraban nature of panchayaths & importance of that place also.
A very low revenue panchayath cannot withstand as a municipality for long time.
Upgradation & sudden degradation of panthalam panchayath is a very well example.
Chavara looks more urbane than Anthoor, Sreekandapuram, Nilambur, Mananthavadi, Sulthan Bathery, etc.

·
Kollam Rising
13,986 Posts
Compared to Kundara and Kottiyam, Chavara is not much urbanized but indeed it has gigantic industries such as IRE, KMML, Titanium Sponge as well as a prestigious organization such as Indian Institute of Infrastructure & Construction (IIIC). Apart from that, the Neendakara Port is in the vicinity and TS Canal cuts through Chavara. Proximity of Kollam City and the fast developing Karunagapally helps people in Chavara for all their business and commercial needs.

Chavara looks more urbane than Anthoor, Sreekandapuram, Nilambur, Mananthavadi, Sulthan Bathery, etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think only pathanapuram and kundara are eligible for upgradation to municipality in kollam district now. Others places need more time to get urbanized as a municipal status

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Bad news for nocturnal insects and night revellers of Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram.

Pinarayi has put the proposal for 24 hours pubs in these cities in to cold storage.

What to do now? Where shall I get my 'Veera Bhadran' from, at 2 am, when I visit Kochi next time. Am I condemned to twist and turn in my bed till the sun comes out, with a parched throat? Too bad.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,978 (Edited)
I think only pathanapuram and kundara are eligible for upgradation to municipality in kollam district now. Others places need more time to get urbanized as a municipal status
Recently I visited Punalur and Pathanapuram.
Punalur is more like a small town. Not much changes. There is not much development in Railway Station area, especially there is a fact that Punalur have a potential to emerge as a future major Railway Junction. Moreover, Punalur is the one of the Oldest Railway Station in Kerala. I would say the infrastructure in Punalur Railway Station is very poor.

However I could see a drastic change in Pathanapuram. Lot of big buildings came up. May be due to Ganesh Kumar, Pathanapuram got some facelift. I think, it is time to upgrade Pathanapuram as a municipality.

Kundara is an industrialized town. Kundara's development is also spread to neighbouring Elampalloor panchayat. Both Kundara and Elampalloor can be considered as a single town.

Similalrly, Chavara and Neendakara can be considered as a single unit.

I feel, Chathannoor and Paripally are more developed towns compare to Paravur (which is a municipality, but looks more like a fishing village). Paripally doesn't have Panchayat status now. It is part of Kalluvathukkal Panchayat. Infact Paripally is more urbanized than Kalluvathukkal.

Kottiyam area can merge with Kollam Municipal Corporation that includes panchayats like Mayyanad and Thrikkovilvattam.

Chadayamangalam is looking like a laggard. But there is a huge potential for this town, especially in tourism. Especially the Jadayu Earth Center is emerging as a marvelous tourist hub. I am sure, Chadayamangalam will develop faster than Kadakkal and Ayoor in near future due to this Jadayu Earth Center. I am not sure whether State Govt and Kollam District Tourism authorities providing enough promotion for this wonder.

My candidate towns for municipal status in Kollam districts: Kundara, Chathannur, Chavara, and Pathanapuram. May be we can consider Anchal too in this list.

In future (may be in 2029-30), there is municipal potential for Paripally, Kalluvathukkal, Kadakkal, Chadayamangalam, Ayoor, Ochira, Sasthamkota, etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Punalur is not a small town. In fact it is the largest town after kollam city in kollam. Punalur is rising into mall and multiplex hub. 3 decent malls are in construction now with 2-3 multiplexes on all the malls. D mall will be inaugurated in the coming months and PRV movie mall during Onam.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,980
Punalur is not a small town. In fact it is the largest town after kollam city in kollam. Punalur is rising into mall and multiplex hub. 3 decent malls are in construction now with 2-3 multiplexes on all the malls. D mall will be inaugurated in the coming months and PRV movie mall during Onam.
Karunagapally and Kottarakkara are larger than Punalur in urbanization, development and infrastructure.

Yes, I agree Punalur was important due to Railway, and also acted as a Gateway to the Hills. But now it lost all glory. Nowadays even Pathanapuram is more urbanized and developed than Punalur.

If Angamaly-Erumeli Sabari Railway Line extend upto Punalur, Punalur will emerge as a major Railway Junction. However Govt and Municipality should do necessary action to upgrade the infrastructure near to Railway Station.

Here is my ranking in Kollam:
1. Kollam City (Municipal Corporation)
2. Karunagapally (Municipality)
3. Kottarakkara (Municipality)
4. Kundara (Panchayat)
5. Punalur (Municipality)
6. Pathanapuram (Panchayat)
7. Chavara (Panchayat)
8. Chathannur (Panchayat)
9. Paripally (an area of a Panchayat)
10. Anchal (Panchayat)
11. Paravur (Municipality)