SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the only major american business to enter nigeria apart from hotels and oil companies. We don't have mcdonalds, pizza hut, tgi fridays, applebees.

But boom there is kfc opening stores upon stores in nigeria obviously there business is booming in naija, funny how they are the first major american food chain to come to this side of africa to open up a restuarant. Are they are entering africa because of the stereotype attacted to black people and their love for fried chicken? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
KFC is not popular in the US so they have nothing to lose to take risks in developing nations to grow their consumer base. McD is not in the same position they can pick and choose where to go and if they don't want to deal with the hassle of Nigeria's logistic problems they don't have to. They lose out on a big market but they make up for it in Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East so it balances out.

Nigeria will need to work on electricity and road networks before other companies take the plunge. Not every company is like Coca Cola that is willing to do what it takes to get a coke in the remote parts of the world. Some companies are not demanding that the country is 1st world but stable. Unless you are ready to do trial by fire, business in Nigeria can be like building a house on sand, the foundation shifts to much for Western business's taste.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KFC is not popular in the US so they have nothing to lose to take risks in developing nations to grow their consumer base. McD is not in the same position they can pick and choose where to go and if they don't want to deal with the hassle of Nigeria's logistic problems they don't have to. They lose out on a big market but they make up for it in Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East so it balances out.

Nigeria will need to work on electricity and road networks before other companies take the plunge. Not every company is like Coca Cola that is willing to do what it takes to get a coke in the remote parts of the world. Some companies are not demanding that the country is 1st world but stable. Unless you are ready to do trial by fire, business in Nigeria can be like building a house on sand, the foundation shifts to much for Western business's taste.
KFC is not popular in the u.s? :lol::lol::lol:

Its one of the largest chain in the u.s. its the 2nd largest chain restuarant in the world 2nd only to mcdonalds. So its pretty popular my sister.

Alot of american businesses have been in nigeria for the longest of times from sheraton hotel, hilton hotel, now best western + coca cola have been here forever. Nigerians love good taste and the more chains that come the money they make!

You didn't ans the main question in the 1st post tho.

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
KFC is like the 5th popular chain which in America is not popular, the same way Coke and 7UP are both soda brands but no one will argue that Coke is more popular.

KFC has been sold and restructured several times in an effort to build a consumer base which is why it has gone overseas to virgin markets. KFC might honestly be more popular in Nigeria and China where in the US KFC is like your choice when McD, BK, Wendy's, and etc are not available.

What I'm saying has been researched.

Like I said their are companies that will content with the challenges business in the 3rd world comes with, but not every country will. So far Starbucks and McD will not but KFC will because it has to move out of the states to find the consumers it doesn't get at home.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,190 Posts
Still, KFC in Nigeria...hmm of course the stereotype comes to mind:lol:, and I bet they thought about it too (though it wasn't a significant factor at all).

It'd be cool if they started deliveries in Lagos. Hopefully portion sizes in Nigeria never get to be as big as in the U.S. That's overkill.

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
The most popular fast food chains in the US 2012:

1. McD
2.Subway
3.Burger King
4.Wendy's
5.Starbucks
6. Dunkin Donuts
7. Taco Bell
8. Pizza Hut
9. KFC
http://www.thedailymeal.com/america-s-highest-grossing-fast-food-chains

My mistake KFC is even lower than I thought

In the world:
1. Subway
2. Dunkin Donuts
3. Pizza Hut
4. McD
5. Sonic
6. KFC
7. Domino's
8. Arby's
9. Baskin Robbins
http://m.entrepreneur.com/article/194050

See how it jumped 3 places in world rankings? KFC's growth has been on non-US sales

KFC seeing Africa as a place to create a consumer base:
http://dailymaverick.co.za/article/2012-03-19-kfc-colonel-leads-the-charge-into-africa

KFC in Africa and Asia:
http://m.seekingalpha.com/article/592541-yum-s-growth-will-come-from-asia-and-africa

KFC can't compete in the US so it has nothing to lose going overseas, which is what its parent Company Yum Brands has done with its other fast food chains.

KFC coming to Nigeria has nothing to do with racism its just business. McD is not yet there a great way to beat them to the punch is for KFC to set up shop 1st. Pizza Hut who also is a chain under Yum Brands wants to come to Nigeria due to KFC's success.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arinze you cannot compare kfc with mcdonalds and others they deal with chicken not burgers!!

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
You do realize that McD sells chicken? So are they partially racist then?

I'm explaining to you why KFC came to Nigeria first it has nothing to do with race it's all business. With the health craze in the US fried chicken is not going to do well and KFC has been slow to adapt their menu to reflect healthier choices. However Nigeria's climate is different so all KFC has to do is ditch the biscuits for fries and it's successful. Despite the supply chain issues and cost of doing business in Nigeria, KFC probably makes more at its Nigerian locations than some US locations do (without the logistic problems).

KFC is probably seen in a better light in Asia and Africa than in the US where it's seen as cheap fast food. Even franchise overseas look better than their US counterparts, which just recently received upgrades to look nicer.

Pizza Hut also sells chicken too :lol: they are coming to Nigeria.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You do realize that McD sells chicken? So are they partially racist then?

I'm explaining to you why KFC came to Nigeria first it has nothing to do with race it's all business. With the health craze in the US fried chicken is not going to do well and KFC has been slow to adapt their menu to reflect healthier choices. However Nigeria's climate is different so all KFC has to do is ditch the biscuits for fries and it's successful. Despite the supply chain issues and cost of doing business in Nigeria, KFC probably makes more at its Nigerian locations than some US locations do (without the logistic problems).

KFC is probably seen in a better light in Asia and Africa than in the US where it's seen as cheap fast food. Even franchise overseas look better than their US counterparts, which just recently received upgrades to look nicer.

Pizza Hut also sells chicken too :lol: they are coming to Nigeria.
Source to pizza hut coming to naija?

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
Wikipedia has a link from a statement by Yum...

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
What the hell is Sonic?

Africa beware of these obesity-inducing chains. Africa doesnt have the helath infrastructure to care for diabetes, strokes and heart attacks.

I would love to see more African fast food. I saw one just open in London.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
What the hell is Sonic?

Africa beware of these obesity-inducing chains. Africa doesnt have the helath infrastructure to care for diabetes, strokes and heart attacks.

:lol::lol: Just google images "Sonic drive in" and you see

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
:lol: there's one that I know of in Charlotte.

I'm not really a drive through fan, and Sonic is completely dine-in your car.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What the hell is Sonic?

If you can afford it then go buy it, these american brands coming to naija are just for big men and women who go there to have lunch on their lunch breaks from work. Ordinary naija man who is still trying to find 100 naira to buy a loaf of bread and a plate of beans will not go to KFC to spend 2000 naira on some damn chicken :lol::lol:

·
Registered
24,731 Posts
Here in Brazil KFC isnt popular, they have only 20 fastfood in Brazil.

Why Mc Donalds dont open in Nigeria ?

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,190 Posts
What the hell is Sonic?

Gotta be careful though. Their food will kill ya. For instance the super sonic double cheeseburger has over 1200 calories & 87 grams of fat alone not including fries + drinks.:lol::eek:hno:The drinks will get you in happy hour too being half off! Their strawberry slush large size is over 700 calories:uh:.

+1000000. America needs to be careful too. Our health care costs are skyrocketing thanks to overweight and obese people. At the Weight of the Nation Conference in Washington DC last month health experts said 42% of Americans will be Obese by 2030. Up from 36% today.:eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts