Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
City Administration announced it's plans that by the year 2025, 50 km of new lines with 30 stations should be built.

With almost 2 million inhabitants, Kharkiv (Khar'kov in Russian) is Ukraine's second largest city, situated in the eastern part of the country. Initially a combined network of existing suburban and new urban lines was planned during the 1960's, but when the first tunnel sections were finished common 2.7 m wide rolling stock was ordered for exclusive metro use.

The Kharkiv Metro was inaugurated on 23 August 1975 (10.4 km with 8 stations). It connects three railway and three major bus stations.

Today the network has about 35.3 km with 28 stations (2004):

Some pictures of stations built in different times:

The metro is clean and bright. A station built in 1975.

In 1986

758,900 people use Kharkiv Metro on daily basis

Miscalleneous

:eek:kay:

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it will more than double. And it's already ahead of many capital-metro's in length and passenger-usage. Even Minsk still has only 2 lines and Kharkiv will get a fourth line by that time and 5th under construction.

·
Старий М
5,285 Posts
The Kharkiv metro does indeed look very clean. I've been in the Kyiv metro only once and I don't even remember how it looks :(

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's much much better than NYC metro. You know what I mean ;)

Nowadays in Kyiv there are plasma screens in every wagon and you can see news, weather and music video clips. The stations are very clean, no pissing or shitting like in New-York. And every station is different in design.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Wow...really nice metro. And weird thing is that I never heared for that Khar'kov. But there's allways Google, my best friend :)

Cheers,
-Pavle

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehe, I'm sure further on they'll build the "modern" stations as you like Delfin ;)

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I hope so Stan :) anyway you are so damn lucky with this metro we can barely finish the first line in Warsaw and look at you!! I'm jealous, we cant afford to build more for now :(

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, but you have a very modern station(s) :) is there Metro planned for other Polish cities?

btw what is your name? It's weird always calling you delfin :D

And about being jealous, I have more reasons to be jealous for Poland. For example EU membership :)

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
^^ well even with EU money we cant afford to start the second line, all damn money goes for motorways, anyway there is no other city to have metro in the future, we use fast city trams (commute rail) TriCity, Krakow and Poznan use this, though the one in Krakow is unerground :)
and my name is Piotr, Piter :)
Edit
now I'm wondering why you can build all those stations and we must struggle with the first line, its weired

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our motorways are horrible, maybe except Kyiv-Odessa. The new government said it will be one of the priorities of 2005-2006 to modernize all Ukrainian roads. We'll see what happens.

--

I recently counted (with help of people from different cities) that altogether in Ukraine there is ongoing construction of 11(!) metro stations.

And nice to meet you Piter

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Pan_Stanislav said:
Our motorways are horrible, maybe except Kyiv-Odessa. The new government said it will be one of the priorities of 2005-2006 to modernize all Ukrainian roads. We'll see what happens.

--

I recently counted (with help of people from different cities) that altogether in Ukraine there is ongoing construction of 11(!) metro stations.

And nice to meet you Piter
nice to meet you Stanislav as well, you know its kind of strange because each infrastructural investment in Poland is donated by EU but when I look at Ukraine and how fast you extend your metro it just amazes me

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe in Poland more buses are used. For large Ukrainian cities metro is #1 transportation system. Especially in Kyiv and Kharkiv, without Metro people can't get to work.

And it's still not fast enough, there's always too many people in peak hours. Kyiv urgently needs 5th line on the other side of the river.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Hey Stanislav, I wanted to ask you this on one of the other threads, but since you're here...what is population proportion of Kiev on right/left sides of the river Dnipro?

FOr example, in Belgrade, about 1 million live on right bank of Sava river, and 600-700k on the right side of the river. And a negligible number on the opposite side of the Danube river...where Belgrade should set a goal of expanding to in the future.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not really ;)

Constructions of stations in Minsk:
31/12/1990: Traktorniy Zavod - Frunzenskaya
(Pervomayskaya station open only in 1991)
03/07/1995: Frunzenskaya - Puskinskaya
07/11/1997: Traktorniy Zavod - Avtozavodskaya
05/09/2001: Avtozavodskaya - Mogilyovskaya (2.6 km)

Which is still not bad. Altogether they have 20 stations.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's similar for Kyiv. I don't know exact numbers but I can guess, knowing neighbourhoods. Left bank Kyiv is all new, entirely built during USSR and 100% commieblocks.

Approximately 70% right bank, 30% left bank. But left bank has some kind of "soft" soil and there are problems for constructing skyscrapers. For example they started building 6 40-story tall residentials there and stopped at 30 floors because of the soil. They're fixing it now.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
well it seems EU is a boss for us, really if there is no EU money we can barely build a single road, everything must be approved by Brussels. I mean its nice that they give us so much money but.... ppl got used to it, that every single project is donated by EU, i say sth for sth right?

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Considering the billions you're getting, it's alright for them to be the "boss" for some time. Time will pass and you will reach western countries financial status and then you're part of the "boss" circle.

But sometimes I think that Ukraine could do it on our own, without EU. I mean, we're growing now without any EU money and by the time the EU is ready to accept us, we might not need them. Although it will suck being the only country between Russia and EU.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts