SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 410 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Khartoum New International Airport (KNIA)
Press Release​
17th May 2006
Opening Ceremony for Construction Works for KNIA​
Since 1959 DORSCH CONSULT, either in its own capacity or as leading firm or partner in joint ventures, has been engaged in the design and construction supervision of complete international and domestic hub airports.
Dorsch Group operates in complete independence of manufacturers and suppliers within the construction industry.
The annual revenue of the Dorsch Group is 75 million €. This revenue is generated by a staff of approximately 1,400 permanent employees including engineers, architects, economists, scientists and experts of other disciplines.
Collaboration in interdisciplinary teams coupled with the company’s wide range of special fields and services, as well as extensive experience gained from projects in over 140 countries in 4 continents, ensure continuous drive and innovation which benefit all projects.
The Dorsch Group handles up to 1000 projects each year. These include studies, expert opinions and research work as well as development planning and feasibility studies up to project management, preliminary and detailed planning, construction supervision, commissioning, maintenance and staff training.
Dorsch Consult is involved since late 2003 in the KNIA project which we believe being of outstanding importance for the prosperity and future development of the Sudan and the Region of Khartoum and Omdurman.
Finalising the site selection process in June 2004 Dorsch Consult recommended this site South of Omdurman as being the most suitable one for such an infrastructure project. An Airport Master Plan for Public-Private-Partnership involvement has been developed and presented in November 2004 by Dorsch Consult.
During the year 2005 the goal has been set for a state financed project development. Dorsch Consult updated the Master Plan and elaborated the Tender Documentation. A part hereof results now in the hand over of the site to the Local Construction companies Higleig and Lulu-Aina JV for conducting preparatory works. The majority of the construction works will be carried out by an international contractor based on an Engineering – Procurement – Construction (EPC) Contract.
Khartoum New International Airport will be a modern state-of-the art airport serving for the todays and future aviation needs as a strong and beneficial transportation infrastructure. It will act as a Gateway to the Sudan with Hub function to East Africa.
A very successful event was the “Going Public” in November 2005 at Al Sharga hall organized by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and the KNIA Project Implementation Unit (PIU) in cooperation with the Sudanese Engineering Society.
During the implementation phase Dorsch Consult will act as Owners Engineers in the Construction Management and Construction Supervision
This ceremony forms one of the most important steps in the project implementation. The story of replacing the existing airport which lasted for more than 25 years now becomes true.
Paper works are done, let the construction machinery talk now.​
Dorsch Consult Airports GmbH​
Guenther Dziddek
Technical Project Manager

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Construction costs: $ 1,800 million
Project period: 2003 – 2012
Project description:
The capital of the Sudan, Khartoum, is going to get a
new international airport that will replace the existing
one located in the direct vicinity of the town’s settlement
area. KNIA, the future gate of Sudan to the
world, is situated in the South of Omdurman and
connected to the region of Khartoum-Omdurman by
an important corridor of future developments. KNIA is
planned as a modern, strong and beneficial infrastructure
based on an attractive urban and architectural
design. KNIA is designed and will be constructed
on a modular system to meet the requirements and
the demand of the near future. The airport is supposed
to be able to handle some 6.5 million annual
passengers. The airport will be implemented by an
international EPC-Contractor supported by local
construction firms.
KNIA will be equipped with all facilities and utilities to
guarantee smooth airport operations:​
•​
2 runways, 1 cross-taxiway, 2 parallel taxiways and
sufficient aprons

•​
ATC-tower, CNS-ATC and ATM equipment, ARFF,
service-courts, fuel-farm

•​
PAX-, Hajj- Presidential- and GA-terminal including
curbside and parking facilities

•​
Administration buildings, housing areas and catering,
Airport park and airport mosque, Hotel and
conference centre, health facilities as required by
ICAO

•​
Cargo centre (regional hub), logistic and industrial
estate, Aircraft maintenance hangar

•​
Utilities like power and water supply including disposal
systems, Airport roads and airport access
road

Project services:​
•​
Owner’s Engineer / Owner’s Architect
•​
Analysis and assessment of alternative sites – site
selection

•​
Market potential and mobilization strategy
•​
Consulting services for entire airport including terminal,
airside and landside facilities

•​
Masterplanning
•​
Alternatives and opportunities of financing and
operation of KNIA under a Public Private Partnership
(PPP) scheme – range from government involvement
– design, build - turnkey operation –
BTO – BOT – BOOT – BOO to privatization

•​
Conceptual and detailed design
•​
Tendering and bid evaluation
•​
Contractual negotiations and EPC-contracting
Construction management and construction supervision

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.kniapiu.sd/en/

From the airport's website http://www.kniapiu.sd/en/

Airport Utilities and Facilities

Airport location: South Omdurman
Airport outer area.79 s km
Inner area 22 s km
22 km far from Khartoum center
Airport southern borders located 2 kilometers North of White Nile State borders
2 Runways configuration of 4000 meters length, with 75 meters width each (shoulders 15 meters). Distance between the two runways about 2 km.
10 boarding bridge roads lead passengers to Aircraft.
Handling 780000 flights per annum
Air Traffic control Tower, 56.1 meters height.
Modern Airport systems, Baggage Handling System, aviation security system, Air traffic system.
Capacity: 7.5 million passengers annually and is expected to grow by almost 10 million in the future.
International Hotel (300 double bedrooms)
Advanced Conference center.
Airport Business Center, area 13000 square meters. Total 15 rooms, room area 50 to 100 square meters each)
Commercial core covers an area of 8000 square meters.
Catering - Flight (Kitchen) provides 9300 meals daily of 450 occupy workers
Terminals were designed according the culture and nature of Sudan.
Airport Administration Building
Area: 22.641 square meters
Occupancy: 1200 staff
Commercial core
Area: 15000 square meters
Occupy 1500 employees
Airport Hotel area: 26.435 square meters, 300 room double bedrooms
Visitor Centre
Area: 3.126 square meters to occupy 500 visitors.
Shopping Mall
Total area 5000 square meters

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Official Project Magazines

Click to download PDF

Download issue number 1

Download issue number 2

Download issue number 3

Download issue number 4

Download issue number 5

Download issue number 6

Download issue number 7

Download issue number 8

Download issue number 9

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should note that access to the contstruction site is restricted for obvious security reasons, and hence the lack of pics of the ongoing construction.

·
Registered
99 Posts
we will get there but probably one or two years later then expected:)
As long as they don't overlook quality, i don't care how long they take.. What worries me is that building structures in Sudan wear out quickly. So i'll be praying that they give importance to maintainance. It's hard to admit, but us Sudanese were never really good at anything that has to do with management.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As long as they don't overlook quality, i don't care how long they take.. What worries me is that building structures in Sudan wear out quickly. So i'll be praying that they give importance to maintainance. It's hard to admit, but us Sudanese were never really good at anything that has to do with management.
last time i wanted to visit the site, but not allowed anybody to go there without permission. now the technique is rapidly developed, do not worry about it. all probloms can be sovled in a proper way. and I am from China, As far as I know, the main contractor is China Harb, which is specified by your president.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
last time i wanted to visit the site, but not allowed anybody to go there without permission. now the technique is rapidly developed, do not worry about it. all probloms can be sovled in a proper way. and I am from China, As far as I know, the main contractor is China Harb, which is specified by your president.
has construction on the terminal building started?

·
Registered
99 Posts
now the technique is rapidly developed, do not worry about it. all probloms can be sovled in a proper way. and I am from China, As far as I know, the main contractor is China Harb, which is specified by your president.
thanks yanhuiking. That's good to know. Welcome to the forum by the way, your contribution has been most valuable! It's reasurring to have someone on ground zero a part of this forum

1 - 20 of 410 Posts