Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 579 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Awesome. Great to see ambitious paper plans actually translating into something tangible. Any idea about target completion date?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
why are they building this under a flyover?

the noise from the cars and the pollution will not make this an enjoyable experience. and a lot of people throw garbage from bridges.

people need calm, quiet and cleanliness when they eat.

I think they better cover this entire area in a glass dome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I remember the last time i visited pakistan in 2001 and going over there, i must say it wasnt the very clean, the water was really dirty and smelly so i am guessing that you will have mosquitos in the night as well, its a different plan and does look good but whether it will work or not i cant say.

SPEEDY
enjoy

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Umm.. I dont think its exactly under the bridge - its a little inside the circle. Plus, it says "climate controlled food courts", so I dont think dust/pollution will be a problem.

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
I wonder what the business model will be here. Will one company run all the restaurants, or will they lease them out to third parties?

Although the location is a bit questionable - being in the middle of an office area, with a smelly mosquito infested sea next to it - but if it's executed well it may succeed. The people of Karachi will then have another place to visit, but the food had better be good.

·
Iman, Ittehad, Nazm
621 Posts
Although I admit it does seem a bit off, it's more because I haven't really seen it done before rather than just being outright "weird". This is part of a more general initiative for Karachi to take back its waterfront which should be one of the city's biggest strengths.

As for the food court under the flyover.. if I had to look at the positives.. one, it won't be too bad if they have music constantly playing in the background to sound out the hum of cars.. besides, it's no different than a patio on a downtown street.. and also, maybe someone will realize how ugly flyovers are and stop building them all over Karachi unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
14,145 Posts
Although I admit it does seem a bit off, it's more because I haven't really seen it done before rather than just being outright "weird". This is part of a more general initiative for Karachi to take back its waterfront which should be one of the city's biggest strengths.

As for the food court under the flyover.. if I had to look at the positives.. one, it won't be too bad if they have music constantly playing in the background to sound out the hum of cars.. besides, it's no different than a patio on a downtown street.. and also, maybe someone will realize how ugly flyovers are and stop building them all over Karachi unless absolutely necessary.
Care to elaborate on the flyover bit? Ironically, Native Jetty flyover is probably the best-looking one in Karachi.

As for the this project, I just don't like the location.

·
SECULARISM
522 Posts
I like the restaurants on the bridge, but i dont like how you have to zig-zag through them all to get to the end... id prefer if they kept the restaurants on one side, and a walkable prominade on the other side.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
if you look at the plan, Rotary park, Parking, Bazaar & Tavern area will be constructed in the middle of the round bridge, food court will be on old Native Jetty bridge pier with cruise berths not on round bridge.

zees, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought restaurants will be on that bridge but the enclosed circle gets the food court. If not then why does that rendering has tables lying there?

·
Iman, Ittehad, Nazm
621 Posts
Care to elaborate on the flyover bit? Ironically, Native Jetty flyover is probably the best-looking one in Karachi.

As for the this project, I just don't like the location.
I think it's my upbringing or education where we've generally been taught that flyovers are a necessary and ugly evil, because they effectively kill a lot of development underneath them, as flyovers have been synonymous in North America with poverty.. and I'm sure that's part of the "ugly" that I see. Also, most cities want to move away from the "concrete jungle" look. Anyway, the Native-Jetty flyover does look nicer and I'm glad they're making the best use of that space as they can, but I'd rather see Karachi move more towards a European-style city than a Los Angeles.

1 - 20 of 579 Posts