KIDEX Skyway to begin work next yearBoosting connectivity
By SHAREN KAUR | 05 March 2014| last updated at 12:59AM
SPURRING DEVELOPMENT: Road projects worth RM40b planned for Peninsular Malaysia
ROAD projects worth about RM40 billion will be implemented in Peninsular Malaysia over the next three to four years to boost transport connectivity.
These include proposals put forward by North-South Expressway (NSE) operator PLUS Expressway Bhd and Maju Expressway Sdn Bhd, said Malaysian Highway Authority (MHA) sources.
PLUS is proposing a new toll road in Senawang, Negri Sembilan, that links the Kajang-Seremban Highway with the NSE.
The project, estimated to cost RM2.5 billion, is aimed at cutting congestion on the NSE and boosting revenue from toll collection.
Maju Expressway is looking to extend its MEX highway to connect to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang. The project is expected to cost about RM1 billion.
"We are evaluating all the proposals. Decisions will be made after a thorough study on their technical and financial capabilities. The roads will spur property development and investment," said a source.
A 465.3km road linking Kota Baru to Simpang Pelangi in Bentong, Pahang, worth RM8 billion, is also in the works.
It has been reported that a joint venture between MMC Corporation Bhd and Mudajaya Group Bhd is the front-runner for the job.
Other proposed road projects include Kuala Lumpur-Arah Serendah Expressway (KLAS), Jelapang-Selama-Batu Kawan Expressway (Jelas), Sungai Juru-Batu Kawan Expressway, Johor Baru-Pasir Gudang Elevated Expressway and Port Dickson-Banting Expressway.
Under the 10th Malaysia Plan (2011-2015), seven highways worth about RM19 billion will be built to improve traffic in Selangor.
They include the West Coast Expressway (WCE), Kuala Lumpur Outer Ring Road (KLORR), Damansara-Shah Alam Highway (DASH), Sungai Besi-Ulu Klang Expressway (SUKE), Kinrara-Damansara Expressway (Kidex) and Serdang-Kinrara-Putrajaya Expressway (SKIP).
Works Minister Datuk Fadillah Yusof told Business Times two months ago that the projects were in the planning stage.
"They must meet the condition precedent. We will look at technical capabilities and financial strength and go through public consultations for the road alignments before they can proceed."
SUKE and DASH will be implemented by Projek Lintasan Kota Sdn Bhd and WCE by IJM Corporation Bhd. Kidex will be undertaken by Kidex Sdn Bhd while Ahmad Zaki Resources Bhd's unit, EKVE Sdn Bhd, will complete the RM1.5 billion KLORR.
13 March 2014| last updated at 02:40PM
KUALA LUMPUR: Kidex Sdn Bhd, the developer of the 14.9 kilometre Kinrara Damansara Skyway (KIDEX Skyway), is expected to begin construction of the RM2.42 billion project early next year.
Chief executive officer Datuk Mohd Nor Idrus said the company was now awaiting approval from the Federal government approval, expected at year-end.
"The concession period is slated to be around three to four years from the kick-off date. The KIDEX SKyway will be 20 per cent funded by internal funds while the remaining 80 per cent will be through bank borrowings.
"The project would begin at the Damansara toll plaza, on the New Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE, and will pass through Petaling Jaya and Puchong, before
linking up to the Bukit Jalil Highway.
"The entire stretch of the skyway will include seven interchanges," he told a press conference here today.
A skyway is an elevated highway, especially, one well above ground level.
The KIDEX Skyway would provide access to the development corridors along Damansara, Petaling Jaya, Shah Alam, Puchong and Putrajaya via a future
connection to the new highway Serdang-Kinrara Putrajaya Expressway (SKIP), said Mohd Nor.
On the probable toll rates that would be imposed on the skyway, he said it was the prerogative of the Federal government and would be finalised once the project is completed.
On the land acquisition and compensation, he said these issues were under government jurisdiction.
However, Mohd Nor said land acquisition may involve 10 per cent of 3,784 lots which were currently affected by a land freeze.
The elevated highway will pass through these industrial lots.
Kidex signed a concession agreement November last year and begun the process of public display and feedback at Menara MBPJ and Tropicana City Mall.-- Bernama