SkyscraperCity banner

941 - 960 of 1011 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Umm, Nobelia tower is a different project than the Kigali Green Complex. The former is right in front of KCT while the latter is where the French cultural centre used to be, or next to Hotel des Mille Collines ...
I believe the Kigali Green Complex project has not yet broken ground. They were to start this year, but I have not come across any activity on that front.

·
Villeurbanne
4,500 Posts
The school of mining is being built close to the school of architecture. What do guys think about the designs? None of them impress me.
When you barely have money, the last thing youre supposed to do is trying to impress.

I think these buildings are a better balance of functionality and design than many other constructions we find in ssafrica.
There is a sense of esthetic research, an effort to contextualize the style, and they may be using as much local materials as possible. (like many other modern constructions in Rwanda)

Imo, Rwanda's approach to construction is the necessary humble beginning that will kick-start greater things in the future.
I don't feel like Rwanda will try to impress too much before it has proven its model is the right way...

To me the worst case scenario for an architectural school in Africa would have been a european neoclassical building full of out of place and useless elements...

·
Registered
89 Posts
When you barely have money, the last thing youre supposed to do is trying to impress.

I think these buildings are a better balance of functionality and design than many other constructions we find in ssafrica.
There is a sense of esthetic research, an effort to contextualize the style, and they may be using as much local materials as possible. (like many other modern constructions in Rwanda)

Imo, Rwanda's approach to construction is the necessary humble beginning that will kick-start greater things in the future.
I don't feel like Rwanda will try to impress too much before it has proven its model is the right way...

To me the worst case scenario for an architectural school in Africa would have been a european neoclassical building full of out of place and useless elements...
Don't use lack of money as an excuse for bad architecture. Anyways, I quite like the mining school building. Nobila tower, however, looks horrible because of those windows.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Good architecture brings more money through tourism.
Bad architecture may actually be more costly in the long run in the sense that you might one day need to demolish and rebuild

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good architecture brings more money through tourism.
Bad architecture may actually be more costly in the long run in the sense that you might one day need to demolish and rebuild
Thank you. Not to mention it gives the citizens a sense of pride in their environment which can enhance productivity, sanitation and many other things. Poor quality architecture and city planning is a costly mistake for any society.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
3 green towers in the city center
Nobelia - U/C
Kigali Green Complex - design competition
James Mwangi's tower (probably named KIBC)- design competition

what I find weird is that a part of the city center will be highly gentrified while the rest is low level commercial area (so called "quartier commercial"). If they did it in the Convention Center area it would've made more sense as that neighborhood is already completely "developed" (developed looking).

·
Registered
89 Posts
3 green towers in the city center
Nobelia - U/C
Kigali Green Complex - design competition
James Mwangi's tower (probably named KIBC)- design competition

what I find weird is that a part of the city center will be highly gentrified while the rest is low level commercial area (so called "quartier commercial"). If they did it in the Convention Center area it would've made more sense as that neighborhood is already completely "developed" (developed looking).
The area around the convention center is even lower level. I attached a screenshot from Google earth. Most of these seem to be single-family residential buildings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am European and I can assure you that this architecture is not bad at all. In fact, Kigali is famous for its new projects, and more than one international award has been won. Trust your promoters, they know what they are doing.
Being European makes you an expert in architecture? 🤣

941 - 960 of 1011 Posts