SkyscraperCity banner

1441 - 1460 of 1471 Posts

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
It's better that the locals build up a hot market before the internationals come in and take it over.

They won't come until they see an up and coming market where prices continue to rise and people are already getting richer and richer.:cheers::nuts:
These international brands add little value as they are coming into "easy" industries like fast food and retail.

We dont need this type of investment.

·
.mz.cv.in
Kriolu Morno
3,959 Posts
I dont think thats true at all.

There are plenty of worst local brands doing local cuisine in other countries- look at McDonalds- there are far better burgers in the USA. Japan has lower quality food chains doing Japanese foods eg Ichiban.

And Nandos is not really Mozambican food when you look at their whole menu. Roast chicken is generic.

If the pricing and branding is right you can succeed anywhere.
Not trying to claim anything. The Peri Peri chicken which is their theme course and what made it famous is definitely Mozambican inspired.
Not only did Fernando Duarte, the founder, live and study in Mozambique, the first restaurant he bought (which gave its origins) in SA was owned by the Mozambican PT community.

From their website:
IT COMES FROM MOZAMBIQUE
Nando’s originated in South Africa, but we grow our PERi-PERi throughout Southern Africa—especially in Mozambique. Responsibility is core to our business, so we choose to empower more than 1,400 farmers by growing our own PERi-PERi across nearly 500 acres in the region. PERi-PERi is an important part of Mozambique’s history, as the sauce reflects the blend of cultures present in the country for centuries. PERi-PERi chicken eventually made its way across the border to South Africa, but it all started in Mozambique.

https://www.nandosperiperi.com/explore/what-is-peri-peri

Reactions: NicSA

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Many businesses in SA have been started by Portuguese Africans moving from Angola and Mozambique post-independence. The CEO of ABSA, Maria Ramos, is also Portuguese South African (via Mozambique). One of the founders of Vida e Caffe (a Portuguese themed coffee chain in SA) is also Portuguese South African.

·
.mz.cv.in
Kriolu Morno
3,959 Posts
Safe to say SA benefitted from the brain drain we experienced in the 70s. History mostly focuses on the retornados (those who went back to Europe) but a lot ended up in South Africa.

Reactions: popa1980

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
Many businesses in SA have been started by Portuguese Africans moving from Angola and Mozambique post-independence. The CEO of ABSA, Maria Ramos, is also Portuguese South African (via Mozambique). One of the founders of Vida e Caffe (a Portuguese themed coffee chain in SA) is also Portuguese South African.
I had the best shrimp rissois ever in Cape Town.

My friend from CT- her mum is a Portuguese from Mozambique and they have various restaurants including Bacinis on Kloof.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
How come there isn't more international brands in rwanda? For example I see no well known fast food chains or supermarkets.
If you look at GDP per capita in Rwanda, you will note its still very low, so this statistics informs the middle class base is small (considering also the country's population is small too). At best, you can find one or branches with international brands. I think Nakumatt supermarket from Kenyas has 2 branches, Java (from Kenya) has a single branch. The Kigali market is still at its early stages of development and most businesses would wait because most are looking for markets where they can scale very fast. However don't be fooled, lots of $$$ FDI going to Rwanda, just not retail and fast food industry.

·
Registered
391 Posts
How come there isn't more international brands in rwanda? For example I see no well known fast food chains or supermarkets.
Come on man! Who really needs western fast-food in Africa? It's total garbage, if those fast-food franchises were to poison the African population like they do in western countries, Africa will have to face an additional public health issue. Who really wants that in the continent? Because of genetics and other factors which make africans more exposed to cardiovascular diseases, governments on the continent should proactively make healthy diet one of the public health priorities.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Come on man! Who really needs western fast-food in Africa? It's total garbage, if those fast-food franchises were to poison the African population like they do in western countries, Africa will have to face an additional public health issue. Who really wants that in the continent? Because of genetics and other factors which make africans more exposed to cardiovascular diseases, governments on the continent should proactively make healthy diet one of the public health priorities.
Excuses, excuses, that's what y'all keep doing to justify this. I mean who the hell are y'all to speak for all africans on what they don't need, don't want or shouldn't get :nuts:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
^^It's reminder than development is a mindset rather than a matter of having money. Most poor countries that are destined for industrialization exhibit the same traits, discipline, obsession with hygiene and cleanliness (think of the Japanese that clean up after themselves).

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
^^Countries with low levels of inequality. In high inequality countries like SA or India the elite and middle class just pay others to clean up.

·
23,268 Posts
^^It's reminder than development is a mindset rather than a matter of having money. Most poor countries that are destined for industrialization exhibit the same traits, discipline, obsession with hygiene and cleanliness (think of the Japanese that clean up after themselves).
This is exactly what I've been saying. Look at the poorer Eastern European states, most cities and villages look organized and well-run, albeit economically deprived. A country like Ukraine is poorer than Egypt but Kiev looks just like any other city in Europe with less investments and economic activity (slums are slums, anywhere in the world, I'm not taking those into account).

Many African countries, Egypt included, lack civic-minded populations and this translates into lack of organization and chaos. I'm sure some of this can be attributed to overpopulation in certain countries, but civic responsibility and a sense of collective ownership of public infrastructure has to be instilled through a top-down approach. Rwanda truly shines in this regard.

1441 - 1460 of 1471 Posts