SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess technically this belongs here… not on height basis but on scale :)

Hydro Tasmania is planning to build a $2 billion wind farm on King Island (in Bass Strait, halfway between Victoria and "mainland" Tasmania).

The farm is proposed to have about 200 turbines, which will cover 20% of the island's land area. It will power between 350k-500k homes, depending on which news article you read. (For reference, King Island has a population of about 1700). If built, it will be the biggest in Australia.

The island will be connected to Victoria via a new undersea cable. (At the moment, there is one power cable connecting Tasmania and Victoria, on the opposite end of Bass Strait. Tasmania already exports more power than it imports, so I presume that is why there isn't much point connecting King Island to Tasmania's main energy grid at this point).

The undersea cable will also include a fibre optic connection (referred to as an "NBN connection" in the ABC story above). If they continue the fibre optic link from King Island (for example, to Smithton in north-west Tas), then Tassie will have a fully redundant non-Telstra fibre connection.

Hydro Tas media release http://ht.ly/1PN16d and official website: http://www.taswind.com.au/

Other news articles:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-27/big-wind-farm-project-for-king-island/4395176?section=tas

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/11/28/367166_todays-news.html

·
Registered
307 Posts
I like this sort of project for large scale green energy... but not sure about the location. I always saw King island as a very green, untouched and "pure" place, in some other words "The Tasmania of Tasmania".
20% coverage is a lot.

·
Optimist
7,386 Posts
^^ Don't worry, the residents will complain about health issues and then it will be scrapped......unless it's not near any residents?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like this sort of project for large scale green energy... but not sure about the location. I always saw King island as a very green, untouched and "pure" place, in some other words "The Tasmania of Tasmania".
20% coverage is a lot.
Well there's the misconception that wind farms are not green. At the moment the island is about 20-30% powered by a few turbines and the rest is via a diesel generator. Personally I think wind turbines are rather majestic looking and don't see the fuss, I wouldn't mind having a view of them from my house!

The other thing is the KI community has been devastated by a couple of major employers shutting down over the past few months, this is going to change the economy of the island in a good way. Not just running a wind farm but the payments land owners will get for allowing turbines to be installed on their properties.

20% sounds like a lot, but as a rough indication as to the size of the island, Google Maps tells me it would take 1hr 15 mins to drive from one end to the other.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well there's the misconception that wind farms are not green. At the moment the island is about 20-30% powered by a few turbines and the rest is via a diesel generator. Personally I think wind turbines are rather majestic looking and don't see the fuss, I wouldn't mind having a view of them from my house!
I like wind turbines, just don't want to see King Island turned into "we are power generator".
I'd certainly wouldn't mind seeing a farm of these things on the outskirts of my town but not if it takes over the whole island. Imagine if Australia was 20% taken by wind farms.

The overall principal is what I'm thinking about, we've done stuff wrong in the past, now we know what is wrong we should be completely fixing it as best as humanly possible considering ALL viewpoints as opposed to half-assed "money" saving way of doing it.

skinn, please tell me if you are still a fan of wind energy after you've watched the above?
Well birds also die in my pool trying to drink (when lived in NSW) and run into glass windows. They also get hit by cars everyday with no chance of avoidance.

Wind energy is better than doing nothing IMO... problem is everyone wants to do it on the cheap.
Otherwise I would suggest these things be built out-to-sea away from bird flight distance and migratory paths of any animals- above or below water.

But anyway it's not about for/against wind turbines but about this planned development.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Mate I don't know how you could watch that and still be in favour of installing hundreds of these eco-crucifxes around Australia.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mate I don't know how you could watch that and still be in favour of installing hundreds of these eco-crucifxes around Australia.
To be honest, that bird was playing chicken with the blades - it wasn't just an accident.

Would you prefer the pollutants spewed by coal power stations are better?

Lets face it, ever power generation method has problems.

Nuclear is safe a majority of the time - a very small chance of failure, but then the effect of that failure is very bad.

Hydro - totally changes the environment in which it is built, but once built, probably one of the cleanest forms available.

Solar - err.. people fall off rooves? (did you know that deaths per kWh generated for solar is higher than nuclear?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts