SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
76,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty exciting news about a ziggurat-like development by renowned architect Bjarke Ingels:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/architecture/a-ziggurat-for-king-west-take-a-peek-at-bjarke-ingelss-plan-for-toronto/article28812865/

ARCHITECTURE

A ziggurat for King West: Take a peek at Bjarke Ingels’s plan for Toronto

Toppling Torontonians’ expectations of towers, star architecture firm Bjarke Ingels Group has imagined a community of ‘pixellated’ modules harkening back to the utopianism of Expo 1967’s Habitat, Alex Bozikovic writes

ALEX BOZIKOVIC

The Globe and Mail Last updated: Friday, Feb. 19, 2016 5:25PM EST

BIG’s new Toronto building gathers apartments into ‘peaks,’ which promise to offer an unusual intimacy between neighbours.

BIG

“How can architecture build community?” That’s the title of a public talk Bjarke Ingels will deliver this week, and it captures the ambition of BIG’s design for a site on downtown Toronto’s King Street West.

The sentiment is warm and fuzzy. The design, however, is radical: BIG has imagined a complex that would be unlike any other building in the city – or, indeed, North America. The scheme blends an unusual stack-of-blocks form, and adds a complex weave of public and private spaces underneath and within the heart of the building itself.

Bjarke Ingels, starchitect: Where high design meets the street
Is he a revolutionary, a huckster or a little bit of both? The world’s hottest architect is set to remake Canada’s cities. Alex Bozikovic profiles one of the most controversial figures in contemporary design.

The still-unnamed project comprises about 725,000 square feet; plans call for more than 500 apartment units. That represents very high density on this site – the numbers are likely to be negotiated down during the process of winning city approvals. Yet, if it is built in anything like its proposed form, it will be a landmark that enriches the city’s public realm.

read it all here:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/architecture/a-ziggurat-for-king-west-take-a-peek-at-bjarke-ingelss-plan-for-toronto/article28812865/

·
Administrator
76,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From the same article above:
BIG

At ground level, the design features a public courtyard
BIG

A model of the King Street development is shown in Mr. Ingels’s New York office.

LANDON SPEERS FOR THE GLOBE AND MAIL

read it all here:

·
33,994 Posts
I was hoping for a Bjarke Ingels project here in Toronto and this promises to be one of his best efforts. It's the perfect solution for densifying that portion of King West. It reminds me of 'Habitat 67' in Montreal. I wouldn't mind seeing 100 versions of this all over metro.

·
Administrator
76,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few years back there was supposed to be a BIG project in Don Mills, or Leaside or somewhere like that... but I haven't heard any more about it. I think it was one of those variations of twisty towers that he was doing awhile back but can't remember much about it. In any case this one is WAAAYYY more interesting to me.

·
Transhumanist
646 Posts

·
Administrator
76,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My only question with a lot of trees on a building is, how "green" is the reality of having to daily water trees whose roots will dry out quickly in planters? Its not the same as planting trees in the ground. I think the environmentally "green" aspect of this is perhaps a bit exaggerated, but it looks great in renderings! :)

·
33,994 Posts
My only question with a lot of trees on a building is, how "green" is the reality of having to daily water trees whose roots will dry out quickly in planters? Its not the same as planting trees in the ground. I think the environmentally "green" aspect of this is perhaps a bit exaggerated, but it looks great in renderings! :)
Those trees should be taken with a grain of salt. They take great artistic license to market their plans. Green roofs are a good idea though. If we do get trees I imagine they'd be varieties that prosper here without any up keep.

They'd also have to be varieties that don't grow too tall or require extensive root systems.

·
Administrator
76,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I think the trees-all-over-the-place concepts on buildings are often just a load of hot air to sell the project as being "green". But the complicated process of having to draw water from the lake, treat it and then transport it up 15 storeys to water thirsty trees in planters every day is not particularly "green" in my books.
And as Max has pointed out, bare saplings in winter do not look attractive.

·
13,304 Posts
Bjarke Ingels has set up his Serpentine Pavilion in Toronto for the next couple months. It's completely free to visit, so check it out while you have the chance!

Unzipped Toronto by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

·
33,994 Posts
Agree. I was a block from there last week and forgot all about it. :(

·
Registered
453 Posts
Like this innovative project, vastly different from the glass towers; but realistically, it lacks privacy. Don't want my neighbours to know what I have for dinner.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts