SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1081 - 1100 of 3988 Posts

·
Take Your Meds!
381 Posts
I took a stroll down the new King's Boulevard this morning. Sorry, no camera. It's covered in yellowy gravel/chippings on both pavement and carriageway. There are hoardings lining the street both sides, with sporadic sections containing information about the area's past. It's nicely done.

The new concourse at King's Cross Station seems largely glazed now (the circular walls facing St Pancras, I mean). One can go stand under the rim of the roof.
The Great Northern Hotel is completely sheathed in scaffolding. I thought they renovated it first?

They were working on both the station and the road in front of Granary Square on a Sunday morning.

·
Viewseeker
554 Posts
As they were late opening on Friday I had to scarper before they let people in as I had a wedding to get to:

DSC00779 by RedArkady, on Flickr

This truck had a suction device that was being used to clear the loose gravel:

DSC00788 by RedArkady, on Flickr

So I went back today with a stinking hangover. The things I do for you guys. But the sun and the stroll helped clear my head:

DSC00809 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00810 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Nice to see the German Gymnasium from this angle:

DSC00811 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00812 by RedArkady, on Flickr

All along the western hoarding are perspex windows allowing good views into zone B. Which is good news for followers of this thread!

DSC00814 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00820 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00824 by RedArkady, on Flickr

This man is paid to walk up and down the boulevard looking officious:

DSC00815 by RedArkady, on Flickr

As noted by Nurse, there are some cool displays on the eastern hoardings:

DSC00816 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00818 by RedArkady, on Flickr

KXStP will gain yet another tube exit in a year or two:

DSC00842 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Nope, no idea:

DSC00822 by RedArkady, on Flickr

The permanent finishes, where present, are rather nice:

DSC00823 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00825 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00826 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Nice to be able to finally cross the bridge:

DSC00831 by RedArkady, on Flickr

At the moment a narrow pedestrian route leads through Granary Square to the Granary itself, which is evidently very much occupied and nearly ready to open in a few weeks. Licensing signs on York Way indicate that it will have a bar which will be open to the public. There are public pedestrian routes through the Granary Complex which should be open very soon.

The pump house for the fountains will go here:

DSC00832 by RedArkady, on Flickr

A new angle on the steps and Coal Offices:

DSC00833 by RedArkady, on Flickr

The fountains (Granary Square is HUGE):

DSC00834 by RedArkady, on Flickr

A bit of last-minute painting... on a Sunday! Clearly rushing to finish before the students arrive:

DSC00836 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00840 by RedArkady, on Flickr

The building will be lit up at night. Nice re-used cobbles:

DSC00837 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Eventually these old arches will be opened up and filled with small retail outlets and venues:

DSC00839 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Bonus pic – weird arty-goings-on at King's Place. No idea.

DSC00841 by RedArkady, on Flickr

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6182384902/in/photostream/

Have fun.
Arky

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sorry about the above - there go my pictures until 1 October. Too broke to upgrade my account at the moment.
Best sticking to Flickr. The free account does have an monthly upload quota and you limited to 200 pics showing in your photostream but there is no download restriction like photobucket so once you have linked the image it never gets blocked, even it's past the 200 photostream items.

Edit to add:
Nice update, thanks.

·
Viewseeker
554 Posts
Nice find. I’ve not seen anything specific planned, but with the University of the Arts right in the centre of things they will have a splendid catalyst to get things started. The theatre and exposed terrace at the back are enormous, as is the square. What with Kings Place over the road it will be quite the cultural quarter.

At Open House weekend I was told that with completion of Granary Square on the near horizon they are starting to think about transforming the Coal Drops and Offices. They said that as well as small independent shops and boutiques filling up the old arches (a la Camden Lock) they “hope to bring back live music and clubs to the railway lands”. Curious. Imagine the old Coal Office transformed into a bar overlooking the canal on one side and the square on the other… though what the poor people at Camley Natural Park would make of that I dread to think

DSC00190 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00833 by RedArkady, on Flickr

·
Viewseeker
554 Posts

·
Viewseeker
554 Posts
The extra trees are somewhat welcome, though I can’t help but feel that the double-row on the west side makes it look a tad cluttered.

After work yesterday I took the new boulevard up to the Granary Building. There were a lot of students around being inducted. Security were somewhat attentive, but were happy for me to look around the public areas. The foyer is amazing – huge with an attractive wood-beam ceiling. But the real treat is ‘The Crossing’. This runs west/east behind the old granary under a glass cantilevered roof that connects the new structure with the old. Eventually it will give passage between the Handyside canopy and the new Stables Street (which will run n/s along the west side of the granary). It is a stunning space. The meeting of old and new has been handled incredibly well. I particularly love the way they have chose not to clean up the brickwork on the rear granary wall (in contrast to all the other old brickwork). It shows off the character of the building and its use (and misuse) over time. The Handyside canopy looks great too, and they appear to be nearly finished inside.

·
Viewseeker
554 Posts
Walking between Camden & Kings Cross yesterday, I realised that the towpath door of the Fish & Coal Offices (above) was open - looks like a break-in:

DSC00861 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Lots of people going in and out to have a snoop around the cavernous arches. All lit up inside with lamps, I'm told. I'm sure someone will have lots of photos, but I fear urban exploring pics are against forum rules...

This one take from the doorway:

DSC00848 by RedArkady, on Flickr

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
The information panels along the boulevard make for an interesting read with regards to the fascinating history of this small area.

Lots of lucky students walking their along York Way and the Boulevard this morning.

·
Viewseeker
554 Posts
They are nearly done applying the strip of cladding around the 'wall' of the new concourse:

DSC00974 by RedArkady, on Flickr

What kind of crane is THAT?

DSC00975 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Working on a Sunday! The whole site was busy today. These guys were working on the north carriageway of Goods Way:

DSC00980 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Over at Granary Square, the are returning some old tracks for decorative effect:

DSC00984 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Final finishes going down on the far side:

DSC00986 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Handyside Street is now open as far as the Western Transit Shed:

DSC00994 by RedArkady, on Flickr

The juxtaposition of old an new make for some interesting spaces and views. The scarring on the old brickwork is beautiful:

DSC00987 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00989 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00993 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00990 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00996 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC00995 by RedArkady, on Flickr

The space under the West Handyside Canopy is enormous. This will be used for seasonal events such as covered markets:

DSC01003 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC01001 by RedArkady, on Flickr

An finished example of the re-layed tracks:

DSC00997 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Central St Martins workshops already in use:

DSC00998 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC01000 by RedArkady, on Flickr

The East Handyside Canopy is still a skeleton:

DSC01006 by RedArkady, on Flickr

A bit of wayfinding:

DSC01007 by RedArkady, on Flickr

R4 and R5 are now topped out. Pleasantly suprised by the quality of the brick cladding on R4:

DSC01008 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC01009 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC01010 by RedArkady, on Flickr

R5 may be a bit... pink?

DSC01011 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC01017 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Tower crane under construction on the T1 strudent tower site. The crane arm is being lifted here:

DSC01015 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC01016 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Lots of different contractors in site. This is like a map of the Holy Roman Empire:

DSC01014 by RedArkady, on Flickr

The canal steps:

DSC01020 by RedArkady, on Flickr

The Gas Governor is slowly vanishing behind reclaimed brick walls:

DSC01021 by RedArkady, on Flickr

DSC01023 by RedArkady, on Flickr

Have fun
A

1081 - 1100 of 3988 Posts