Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to post this for quite some time. It is my firm belief that 2 things need to happen at Kingsmead. I used to live in Durban and I went to the stadium often for both test matches and ODIs.

Anyone who has spent a day at the stadium will be able to attest to the fact that it needs more shade, especially in mid summer when cricket is mostly played. Aside from the Umgeni end grandstand and castle corner you will spend almost all of the time in full sun which is unpleasant and makes it unlikely that you will come back for day 2, 3, 4 and 5 of a test if you made it through day 1. My proposal would be for a canopy to be built over the East Stand (the open stand on the side of the main scoreboard). This would provide much needed shade and make a relatively unpopular side of the ground far more attractive.

I would envisage it looking like this (please excuse my poor MS Paint skills)

The second thing that needs to happen is a dedicated marketing team needs to get involved to improve attendances - especially at test matches. Corporate packages need to be sold (in the same way as this is done for the July) this should include hospitality tents etc. The more trendy we make the event the better attended it will be. At the same time a better effort needs to be made to look after the journalists who attend the matches. The better looked after they are the more favourable coverage the event will receive. I think Supersport Park does this exceptionally well and lessons can be learned from them.

Please add to this conversation with your thoughts and perhaps better insights on this matter.

·
23,200 Posts
Agree on the roofing, but I think getting crowds back for 5 tests is unlikely to happen. It's a form of cricket that is unlikely to survive the modern era. For most people it is to long and slow. Crowds have even started to dip for tests in Australia and England, the two best supporters of the format.

I don't know the last time I even watched a test game on TV let alone went to a stadium. But I will watch one dayers.

Yes the stadium is not user friendly, parking is ridiculous, drink drive puts people off.

Overall many of those same points need to picked up by the rugby authority's too in SA. There is SO much people can spend their time and money on these days and live sport seems to be suffering in SA by not delivering the entertainment value it did in the past

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.