Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
These gentlemen need to sing from the same hymn sheet. Initially, they estimated the overall modernization cost at $57 million, to be entirely financed by the Japanese government through the Japan International Cooperation Agency. Now, the cost is revised down $19 million ($38 million) with the Congolese government funding the project by more than 50%.
It seems that both sides jumped the gun last October by proceeding with the groundbreaking ceremony, whereas neither the feasibility study and nor the funding arrangement were ready. Hopefully the modernization work to be started soon will not experience such a hiccup.
If this is not perceived as lousiness at it best then please tell me what it is! How could JoKa conduct the inauguration ceremony of a project whose deal was still in progress?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The least I can say is that this is ridiculous. Ground-breaking ceremony happened, then the Congolese realized they wanted a much bigger road. Suspended the work and then went back to the drawing board and came up with new plan in which the government has tu put in about 20 millions dollars. Though I applause the widening of the road, I condemn the way things were conducted. Obviously, having the japanese pay for the entire work was not good enough. They had to find a way to get some money for themselves...you got to grease the pockets of few people I guess. On the other end, the construction company will need to be compensated for all the time lost having their equipment sitting idle. Great way to work... If I understand well, the total duration of the work is to be between 22 and 34 months...a little over than 2 years...

Africa is ridiculed by its "goat-boys" governing elite. They already wasted 12 months since the so-called ground breaking ceremony was held in October of last year. This, added to the legendary snail pace work projects are usually carried out in DRC, I won't be surprised if the Poids Lourd Avenue project takes 5 years in the making when Congo Brazza next door can get it completed within a year and half!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The original design of avenue des Poids lourds; it has been improved to a 2x2 lane-road as a result of the recent Congolese-Japanese agreement.

It's okay to add a bite of dark and white colors to create some impressive contrast but, is it what this previously-named "super highway" supposed to be?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have gone through all the commentaries on the thread but I have not found a single instance of the avenue des Poids lourds being named “super highway”. Would you be so kind as to indicate me precisely which commentaries you are referring to?
I well remember you calling it a futur "world class"...blv..something...in one of your commentaries in reference to this project. Now, it may not necessarily be on this thread. If Im wrong, accept dear Sir my apology! But Im positive......We're just trying to keep track on what is being promised and reality to sort out what can be perceived as propaganda so no one is fooled. Don't we need some checks and balances?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It should be easier to enlarge (3x3 or even 4x4 lanes) than Boulevard Lumumba. There is much less construction on the roadsides than along Boulevard Lumumba. The area is sparsely inhabited; there are only enclosed large tracts of land belonging to big companies such as ONATRA. Last but not least, the road is rectilinear, which should facilitate the construction.
JoKa was right to demand the renegotiation of the project with the Japanese government, for it would have been a mistake to proceed with the modernization of a 1x1 lane arterial road knowing that road traffic will increase dramatically in Kinshasa in the coming years as the population keeps mushrooming.

I hope JoKa or any responsible president from the upcoming elections' verdict will seriously work on restoring the right modern urbanism in Kin. Walls like those seen here are one of the thousands illegal constructions that are spreading at an alarming rate across Kin eating up avenues, streets, blvrds and must be stopped by systematically destroying them.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Tout celui qui connait Kin tres bien reconnait la cloture de la concession d'onatra dont une partie avait ete spoliee par les habitants du quartiert Lunda fasant reference au bana lunda et cela avant 1997.
???...I hope you're not suggesting that I may not know Kin as thoroughly as anyone may think, after all...It's kind of silly, bcse it was my playground before it became my "village Molokay"...!!! We danced to the Kale Jefs', Tabu Ley, Dr. NICO...,Franco, Verkyss, Trio MAJESI, Bavon Marie Marie, Papa Wemba.....YSS Boys....rythms!...If this doesn't remind you anything at all then you're the one who could be a "mapeka"...(just kidding!)

The narrow picture's view of the wall makes it hard to identify it as part of the decrepit OTRACO's fence, on the spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts