Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would start a separate thread for this development.

In LondonMetric's yearly accounts published today, this development is stated as being 38% pre-let with a further 18% in solicitors hands, but more importantly it is looking at a September 2014 start! :banana:

Some images of what's proposed:

·
6,979 Posts
This looks like more good news. If everthing in this area goes ahead, Kirkstall is going to become quite a little powerhouse!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Things looking up for Kirkstall! Could do with another train station at Kirkstall Bridge though. I came up with a master plan for Kirkstall in first year of uni. I might post it if I can find it again

·
Registered
30,593 Posts
Good news, although I find it difficult to get excited about a retail park.

100% agree about a station at Kirkstall Bridge though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is the existing BHS building coming down for this one then? (Or is it even already gone - haven't been there in a few months?)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The BHS is still open. I would imagine they'll do a two-phase approach and build the new BHS unit in the car park at the back of the site first, move BHS in and then knock down the existing store. Possibly they will remove some of the masses of store rooms and loading bays at the rear of the store first, the existing building is much bigger than the floor space of the store itself.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
They turned the building into a turd when they removed the clock tower so it's not going to be a great loss to the area. "Sad but true" The new complex is an improvement on what's there now.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I do hope this includes some decent public space, rather than just creating a mini Birstall and turning Kirkstall into planet of the car parks. This site has always been more suitable for creating a 'Kirkstall Village Centre' (in the words of the local councillors) than the proposed steep sloping Tesco's site.

I also expect this will require yet another reconfiguration of the road system around here. The current roads probably can't handle the extra traffic - I think it's inevitable that the Abbey Retail Park becomes the centre of a giant roundabout type one-way system and that through traffic going up the A65 or across the B6157 towards Bramley will have to go round the circle.

Overall I'm supportive of the scheme though. It better unlocks the potential of this big site than what's there at the moment. Personally I'm hoping for something like a small B&Q or Homebase for unit 9-10, although I don't know how realistic that is given the size and the parking.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes, those of us in Kirkstall have been crying out for a Piazza Espress or Popshot for years. :)

Seriously though - it looks better than what's there now, but not hugely inspiring. A little piece of Birstall here in Kirkstall. Can't help but thinking this site could be so much more - it could be the 'village centre' our councillors have banged on about for years if it just had a bit more character / soul / pedestrian public space to it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Not too shabby but still a missed opportunity to create a proper village centre.

Metro planned a station here but switched it to Kirkstall Forge because of the developer contribution I believe.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
A good new development for Kirkstall although just another retail park which would attract a lot of traffic to the area. Pity that a railway station named something like Kirkstall Bridge, Kirkstall Town or Kirkstall Central isn't proposed next to this site considering the usage such a station will achieve next to a new retail park.

Has there been no word recently on the former Kwik Save site in Kirkstall where a Tesco was proposed or indeed on the proposed supermarkets in Armley and Farnley?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Agree, if they find the money there is surely room for both Kirkstall Bridge and Kirkstall Forge stations. It's all very quiet on the new station front though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
An advert by Commercial Estates Group in the Kirkstall Festival programme yesterday claimed that approval for Forge and Apperley Bridge stations has been given and that construction on both should be starting in summer 2014 with both expected to open summer 2015

1 - 20 of 128 Posts