SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Sh2.9 billion expansion works on the Kisumu airport are well under way and it is likely the facility will be completed on schedule.

Kenya Airports Authority Managing Director George Muhoho recently said upgrade of the airport was on course and will be ready for use next year.

“Going by the speed at which the work is moving, we are sure by next year the facility will be ready for use,” Mr Muhoho disclosed.

Upon completion, the facility will be upgraded into a world class international facility, with capacity to handle up to 280 passengers per hour

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
Render for Kisumu International Airport.

^^
Sorry for the poor quality. I just got it from one of the daily papers.

·
美国: Rep KE
3,602 Posts
I hope they are thinking about the future when they build these airports.

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
I hope they are thinking about the future when they build these airports.
Obviously not.:eek:hno: I'm seeing a situation where in 5-10 years this airport will be inadequate, especially when budjet airlines start flying to Kisumu in droves. Then we will need another exansion project, and another...

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
eldoret airport was briliant but its a virtual ghost town. reminds me of barajas. place feels like you are constantly lost coz its way too big.
Its getting busier. Though I guess the timing for ELD's airport was premature.

·
Registered
282 Posts
eldoret airport was briliant but its a virtual ghost town. reminds me of barajas. place feels like you are constantly lost coz its way too big.
I have used Eldy a number of times. Its Not as big as you may Imagine. I think its just the right size. The Original idea was to make it a cargo port for the agricaltural produce which it was realy ideal. It didnt take off fast but it is taking off now with more cargo
flights coming in.

·
Aviation Expert
1,737 Posts
Obviously not.:eek:hno: I'm seeing a situation where in 5-10 years this airport will be inadequate, especially when budjet airlines start flying to Kisumu in droves. Then we will need another exansion project, and another...
from the amount of planes on the render it looks like they expect the airport to handle a lot of passengers. i could also tell the airport will become inadequate quick. why not add jetways instead of making people walkout onto the tarmac.

lagos's newly built domestic terminal is already becoming crowded and inadequate and it was designed to be expandable. lagos is now going to build two more terminals to deal with the problem. i have a feeling the same will happen to this airport

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
from the amount of planes on the render it looks like they expect the airport to handle a lot of passengers. i could also tell the airport will become inadequate quick. why not add jetways instead of making people walkout onto the tarmac.

lagos's newly built domestic terminal is already becoming crowded and inadequate and it was designed to be expandable. lagos is now going to build two more terminals to deal with the problem. i have a feeling the same will happen to this airport
This airport is nowhere near the size of MMIA:lol:. I also think that jetways would have been a good idea. There is still plenty of room for future expansion and believe me, in less than 10 years we may need another expansion program. The budjet airlines fad for domestic flights has just started in Kenya and many more kenyans will prefer flying to taking long road trips if made affordable. Kisumu needed a decent airport and at least now its getting one.:cheers:

·
Aviation Expert
1,737 Posts
This airport is nowhere near the size of MMIA:lol:. I also think that jetways would have been a good idea. There is still plenty of room for future expansion and believe me, in less than 10 years we may need another expansion program. The budjet airlines fad for domestic flights has just started in Kenya and many more kenyans will prefer flying to taking long road trips if made affordable. Kisumu needed a decent airport and at least now its getting one.:cheers:
i was just using it as an example

·
Registered
307 Posts
Nice updates folks, I didn't think that this type of forum would exist. The Airport's render is superb. I will be traveling later-on this year to Kisumu and will of-course get more pictures of the brand new airport.

I'm also made aware that the entrance will not be the usual entrance for those that have used the airport. the new entrance will be at the Kisumu-Busia road section close to Otonglo market.

·
Construction Analyst
108 Posts
Now that Ugandans have loads of oil deposits, and I havent recently heard of an expansion of Entebbe International Airport, the next port of call for the anticipated activity will be Kisumu & Eldoret International Airports.
Mike
www.csaproperty.net
Nairobi-Kenya

1 - 20 of 194 Posts