SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kisumu is a port city in western Kenya at 1,131 m (3,710 ft), with a population of 355,024 (1999 census). It is the third largest city in Kenya, the principal city of western Kenya, the capital of Nyanza Province and the headquarters of Kisumu District. It has no municipal charter. It is the largest city in Nyanza Province and second most important city after Kampala in the greater Lake Victoria basin.

Kisumu literally means a place of barter trade "sumo". The city has "Friendship" status with Cheltenham, UK and "Sister City" status with Roanoke, Virginia, USA. (wikipedia)

·
39,188 Posts
Nice photos thanks.

Kisumu is the centre of the Luo peoples of Kenya, who include the father of the Senator of Illinois; Barak Obama.

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
Nice pics

Great pics of an upcoming city. Though I feel something should be done to improve the skyline (same goes for Mombasa).

I'll try and find pictures for the new 15 storey provincial headquarters building in the city.

Other recent major projects:

1.) Nakumatt city mall:- Has a Nakumatt superstore (one of kenyas largest stores), bowling alley, and a big movie theatre as the main tenants. Though the pics arent easy to get.

2.) United Mall: Has the Uchumi Hypermarket as the main tenant, Also has a cinema hall and other stores.

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
Thanks for this thread Mwafrika.I think too much development was focused on Nairobi and the smaller cities were left behind.Kisumu is also rising fast having only being declared a city less than 7 yrs ago.It has a long way to go ut atleast major developments are slated for the city eg Upgrading the Kisumu Airport to and International Airport.
But my opinion is,once the City has reached acceptable levels,the Bicycle taxis should be be removed from the Town center.They are always a danger to passengers and atleast one person gets hit by a vehicle everyday.They are also not efficient,rather have a large matatu carry 18 passengers than 18 bicycles carry one passnger each.Plus i think they are an eye sore.not a mark of a Metroplitan city.
Needless to say i love Kisumu,good smooth roads and fresh food.

·
Registered
232 Posts
hey earnestombayo you are right about the bicycle taxis, they are the most inefficient form of transport. Unfortunately the NGOs and most donor organizations push for their existence as a form of poverty eradication. The city council is experimenting with bicycle only tracks, but this is not the answer. I think an organized transit authority is the answer to the traffic problems in Kenyan cities and towns.

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
Thanks for this thread Mwafrika.I think too much development was focused on Nairobi and the smaller cities were left behind.Kisumu is also rising fast having only being declared a city less than 7 yrs ago.It has a long way to go ut atleast major developments are slated for the city eg Upgrading the Kisumu Airport to and International Airport.
But my opinion is,once the City has reached acceptable levels,the Bicycle taxis should be be removed from the Town center.They are always a danger to passengers and atleast one person gets hit by a vehicle everyday.They are also not efficient,rather have a large matatu carry 18 passengers than 18 bicycles carry one passnger each.Plus i think they are an eye sore.not a mark of a Metroplitan city.
Needless to say i love Kisumu,good smooth roads and fresh food.
^^
I also feel the same way about almost everything gravitating around Nairobi. But its only a matter of time before this changes.

The cost of living and doing business in Nairobi is rising and this will make companies look for alternative locations for their businesses. So far, Kisumu was identified as the principal city for the lake victoria region (the most densely populated region in East Africa). This means all administrative and business activities regarding the lake basin in Kenya, uganda and Tanzania will have their headquarters in Kisumu.(and I hope this translates to more office space requirements and therefore more office towers, not to mention housing.

Parliament is about to pass legislation making the city of Mombasa into a free port. when you add this to the fact that it is the busiest and fastest growing port on the eastern coast of Africa north of Durban, it will make more business (cost) sense to establish business headquarters in Mombasa compared to Nairobi...and by extention more towers and other developments.

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
nice foresight Kenguy,a free port would definately do it for Mombasa.I am studying in malaysia and Langkawi Islands on the west coast of Malaysia is a free port island.It receives tonnes of tourists every year coz of its cheap non taxed goods.The main sort after commodity obviously being Alcohol(a can of beer:carlsber,heinekn etc go for only 20kshs each 1 US dollar = 67 kshs so do the maths in dollars you will see why tourists flock to this place!).

What happened to the Arabian Investor who wanted to do a 1 Trillion kshs project in Lamu?Building an international airport,new highways,building a harbour free port etc?Last time i checked the government was reviewing the proposal.

·
美国: Rep KE
3,602 Posts
First Millenium City

Hi whats up members Iam glad to join this thread and look forward to start my great contributions I love Kisumu and all kenyan cities.

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
nice foresight Kenguy,a free port would definately do it for Mombasa.I am studying in malaysia and Langkawi Islands on the west coast of Malaysia is a free port island.It receives tonnes of tourists every year coz of its cheap non taxed goods.The main sort after commodity obviously being Alcohol(a can of beer:carlsber,heinekn etc go for only 20kshs each 1 US dollar = 67 kshs so do the maths in dollars you will see why tourists flock to this place!).

What happened to the Arabian Investor who wanted to do a 1 Trillion kshs project in Lamu?Building an international airport,new highways,building a harbour free port etc?Last time i checked the government was reviewing the proposal.

^^
The Lamu project is still being considered, though I haven't heard about plans to start construction any time soon. There just too many issues to consider. Lamu is a world heritage site and thus cannot be interfered with in any way so as to maintain its historical relevance.

The second issue is that it was to serve as a port for landlocked Ethiopia and southern sudan. The logistics of building new highways and railways makes the idea of connecting existing Railways and roads to the new ones more economical than building separate new networks leading to Lamu. That means the Imports/ exports from this countries will have to use Mombasa first before they consider Lamu.

The Lamu project will come when the need for a totally new port comes about to handle the congestion at Mombasa. Right now the government wants to start building a new highway from Isiolo to Ethiopia starting next year.

1 - 20 of 906 Posts