SkyscraperCity banner

761 - 780 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
@Samony thanks for those figures. A real gift.

@Namoki please have a look at the facts. Don't believe those fabled tales told under trees.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think for Bomet is wrong. You cannot say Turkana or West Pokot beats Bomet. That is a big fart lie. I come from there. The standard of living for people is far much better. In fact Sotik in Bomet is the leading dairy producing area in Kenya. The statistics are big lie. We should know how they arrived at it
That is GDP, There could be more visibly richer people in Bomet, considering is an agricultural county, hence those who own the land make more money. But there could be more poorer people considering the large population.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That is GDP, There could be more visibly richer people in Bomet, considering is an agricultural county, hence those who own the land make more money. But there could be more poorer people considering the large population.
GDP is not a good way to measure economic development. It is like saying just because Kenya has a higher GDP than Botswana and Namibia then Kenya is more developed than this countries which is totally wrong. GDP per Capita can give a wrong impression because the wealth can only be in the hands of few individuals or the resources which are quantified in terms of GDP does not affect the lives of the common people. Example is the oil wealth of Nigeria. Another example is quantifying all the resources in Turkana (plus oil in billions) to come up with its GDP then dividing by population (to get GDP per Capita) then assuming Turkana County is a middle income county when in fact the oil proceeds does not in any way affect their individual lives. The best way to know which county is the best developed in Kenya is if they use the Human Development Index which can help you gauge the development of people across all leves i.e from access to water, sanitation, education, health services, transport services, poverty levels and many other things. Use of GDP brings a wrong impression of country's development which could be skewed in favour of few people who holds the wealth or even mineral resources and other resources that are not in the hands of common people. If the use this means of HDI for all counties, I bet it will justify the reason why Turkana, Mandera, Wajir, Samburu and Marsabit deserve higher allocations and are poorest counties and not Bomet, that i dispute whole time

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
^^You are right mkuu, human development index or HDI is a better measure of longterm economic development, but we had start somewhere and GDP numbers are easier to compute for counties. HDI includes life expectancy, education and economic performance in it. The theory is that a long longer life expectancy is an indicator of many other good things which imply higher economic ability, which is an indicator of higher economic performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the link, its a better way to compare counties, just did a few, statistics like what people use for cooking fuel, lighting are an eye opener majority of Kenyans use charcoal for cooking I would say 75% even in the richer counies, majority also have no electricity connection. Still a long way to go.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
^^As far as electricity connection, the nation has come a long way since those stats were last updated. Connection to the grid is much improved in most counties.

·
Mkenya Mzalendo
123 Posts
GDP is not a good way to measure economic development. It is like saying just because Kenya has a higher GDP than Botswana and Namibia then Kenya is more developed than this countries which is totally wrong. GDP per Capita can give a wrong impression because the wealth can only be in the hands of few individuals or the resources which are quantified in terms of GDP does not affect the lives of the common people. Example is the oil wealth of Nigeria. Another example is quantifying all the resources in Turkana (plus oil in billions) to come up with its GDP then dividing by population (to get GDP per Capita) then assuming Turkana County is a middle income county when in fact the oil proceeds does not in any way affect their individual lives. The best way to know which county is the best developed in Kenya is if they use the Human Development Index which can help you gauge the development of people across all leves i.e from access to water, sanitation, education, health services, transport services, poverty levels and many other things. Use of GDP brings a wrong impression of country's development which could be skewed in favour of few people who holds the wealth or even mineral resources and other resources that are not in the hands of common people. If the use this means of HDI for all counties, I bet it will justify the reason why Turkana, Mandera, Wajir, Samburu and Marsabit deserve higher allocations and are poorest counties and not Bomet, that i dispute whole time
Actually Kenya is much developed than these two countries. They only have a much higher gdp per capita because of a much smaller population, highly valuable mining sector and a significant European minority. The average black Namibian or Batswana is not doing as well as the average Kenyan

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Actually Kenya is much developed than these two countries. They only have a much higher gdp per capita because of a much smaller population, highly valuable mining sector and a significant European minority. The average black Namibian or Batswana is not doing as well as the average Kenyan
What kind of comparison is that my brother? Don't feel good about the numbers you are talking about. We want all Kenyans to be better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This one i beg to differ, specifically Botswana. The country is far much developed compared to other sub saharan African countries, the average citizen enjoys a better living standard than us.

Key word here being, 'average citizen'. Lets take an example of South Africa, there is a dual economy, one that is developed and another that is impoverished. Going wider, we have Mexico, Argentina etc.

Going further, China may be the second richest country in the world in terms of GDP but the living standards of the average citizen is non comparable to western Europe, Japan, Korea etc.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
A countries such as Bostwana with tiny population and valuable resources e. their diamond mining industry with a sensible leadership like they have, its easy to distribute the wealth the small populance by providing quality and affordable healthcare, education, sanition etc providing other social services that enhance quality of people lives. So in such countries HDI will be higher than countries like Kenya.

Kenya we need to bake a bigger cake. We don't have alot of resources, the population is almost hitting 50M. We need large scale manufacturing and advanced agriculture that export to the rest of the world.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
A countries such as Bostwana with tiny population and valuable resources e. their diamond mining industry with a sensible leadership like they have, its easy to distribute the wealth the small populance by providing quality and affordable healthcare, education, sanition etc providing other social services that enhance quality of people lives. So in such countries HDI will be higher than countries like Kenya.

Kenya we need to bake a bigger cake. We don't have alot of resources, the population is almost hitting 50M. We need large scale manufacturing and advanced agriculture that export to the rest of the world.
We do have lots of resources. Much more than Botswana by the way. And GDP per capita isn't a bad measure. It's actually really good because it tell you what everyone is contributing, which means you can easily measure individual progress over time through good public policies. Do we have any? The most recent good one is the Huduma Centres, can't recall any other, that sought to make service provision efficient, reduce corruption, reduce costs, etc. What we want are interventions that can increase disposable income for individuals. You can achieve that two ways: 1) reduce costs of good and services, 2) increase individual incomes. Huduma centres sought to reduce costs of services, but it's the only one we know of recently. Reducing taxes is another intervention that can increase disposable income. Kazi kwa vijana was a great one that can increase incime, but its implementation was a flop. There are numerous ways you can increase disposable income. I am not sure how our policymakers sift thru them. I can bet you there is no one who seriously thinks about how to improve livelihoods for Kenyans, as in they go to the office daily to put their minds to work on initiatives like that. We need that person. We need a serious government-funded innovation lab, where ideas are generated, and a second stage where implementation of ideas is designed and sites where these ideas are tested. Those that test negative to hypothesized good outcomes, are abandoned whereas those that turn out positive and rolled out nationwide. Without this kind of thinking there is nowhere we are going countrymen and women.

Back to Botswana, I said we have more resources than Botswana because we have some great weather in some parts than Botswana. We have tea, coffee, pyrethrum, cotton, sugracane, Lake Victoria, the coastline, Masai Mara, Tsavo, Mt. Kenya, Mt. Elogon, titanium, Lake Nakuru, vegetables and flowers, I don't know what else you need. We also have well-educated Kenyans. Man talk to recipe for success, we've got it.

What we don't have is leadership, political leadership and bad culture of corruption. We don't have a working judicial system that will punish crime commensurately.

Get these and Kenya will be flying. Flying. It is a sleeping giant.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sorry but Botswana is doing way better than Kenya in terms of human development

·
Mkenya Mzalendo
123 Posts
How is it you've not realised how inaccurate these western statistical methods are. Just go on to YouTube and check out dashcam driving videos of Gaborone or Windhoek. Apart from the cbd's and white-dominated neighborhoods the rest are metal sheet shanties (candidly referred to as townships). At least in Kenya we have a mix of both and the Africans here are much more successful. Plus Namibia and Botswana are leading in HIV prevalence.

·
My Name In Arabic is وليم
1,263 Posts
^^
Heri ni nunue nyumba Texas where for the same amount I know am guaranteed to get $1,500 per month in rent. Hakuna hata barabara. SMDH.

761 - 780 of 906 Posts