Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Awesome photo's Flar.... again, you've taken a underrated area of Ontario and represented it well. I'm not a huge fan of downtown Kitchener, but there are alot of weird misconceptions about it evident in these forums.

I look forward to see what you do with Waterloo!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thank-you very much for the pictures flar :)

I've never visited Kitchener, so am happy to have seen this pics! Some very handsome old Victorian buildings. KW is a hopping place just now with all the high tech industry.
Waterloo's high-tech economy is booming: 2000 openings are currently available. One example is RIM: ten years ago they only had ~130 employees. Today the company employs 6,250 people worldwide, 4400 in Waterloo.

You should come visit KW, I'm organizing a meet for next month: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=481806

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If I could add a few things:

1) Here are a few pictures of the urban park downtown.

Victoria Park, Downtown Kitchener

2) The amount of residential construction Downtown is booming. Since 2005:

Occupied
Eaton Lofts - 32 units

Le Marche - 68 units

Mansion Lofts - 54 units

Under Construction
Kaufman Lofts - 270 units (the first group is now occupied)

560 Queen Street South - 100 units?

Arrow Lofts - 300 units?

Proposed
Centre Block - 400 units (first public meeting at city hall - june 25th)

Icon Condos - 100 units? (more details next month)

Weber/Scott Apartment - 50 units?
The Intowns - 128 units (near Downtown Kitchener)

Idea
Lang Tannery - 250 units?

Not residential, but the Universities
UW School of Pharmacy - Under Construction

WLU School of Social Work - opened last year

In total, we're looking at over 1000 nice residential units and 2 university satellite campuses during this boom. Plus Victoria Park has a new entrance under construction, and a few new stores have opened. A MAJOR PLUS: LRT will be running downtown in the next few years. There are some problems for sure, but overall the future looks bright for Downtown Kitchener.

·
Banned
609 Posts
IS the WLU Social Work Building new or just a converted old building? Because if that puppy was built from scratch, then kudos to the architect/builder for taking the classy route.

·
Registered
381 Posts
IS the WLU Social Work Building new or just a converted old building? Because if that puppy was built from scratch, then kudos to the architect/builder for taking the classy route.
It's an old highschool (St. Jerome's). I wish all of Laurier's building's could look that nice ;)

·
Banned
609 Posts
Yeah. I have a few friends who went there. When I visited, I noticed it was a very modern looking school. Which is why I was surprised when I came across the pic of the Social Work Building.

They don't build em like they used to... and I'm 22

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah. I have a few friends who went there. When I visited, I noticed it was a very modern looking school. Which is why I was surprised when I came across the pic of the Social Work Building.

They don't build em like they used to... and I'm 22
No kidding. WLU and U of W may be a lot of things... but pretty isn't one of them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have to say this is one of the best photo tours of my city. You even managed to keep the majority of the white trash that plagues the downtown out of the photos. :nuts:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts