SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
planquadrat
10,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a very quick hop into Klaipeda (for about an hour or so) and then a long trip to Vilnius where we were rushing to get to (Vilnius is more cool than Klaipeda after all) :D

Anyway some bits and pieces of the only true Lithuania's marine city - Klaipeda.

The central street was closed for traffic due to some public events taking place.

A gathering of people

Not sure what exactly was taking place but it seemed like some international folk dance/song festival.

The recently reconstructed riverwalk

Some activity near the river. Finally it is becoming a place wehre people can go and relax. The area is being (slowly) redeveloped from what formerly was were industrial/cargo seaport estates

An old warehouse building built in the German (Prussian) times. Klaipeda, formerly known as Memel, became part of Lithuania (which it never was part of before) only in the 20th century. Fairly speaking, we were a little lucky :)

Sexy girls - a rather common sight too :naughty:

Passenger ferry to Curonian Spit and recently rebuilt "warehouse" which is part of the redevelopment plan of the seafront. Too bad due to the crisis it is moving very slowly these days

The main problem in Klaipeda was that despite being near the sea it didn't have almost any public access to the waterfront. Now it does thanks to the redevelopment plans like this one which turned a former industrial areas into public spaces

Audi is the "national" car :D

Estonians :)

Relaxing at the waterfront

Ze German Folkloregruppe

Ferry coming from Kiel in Germany

The End :cheers:

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Nice photos!
I don't know why, but Klaipeda doesn't look as an interesting city. Why is that? Isn't it really an interesitng city? It was quite big city before II WW, so there should be thousands of townhouses. But for some reasons I've never seen any of them on this forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, everyone. I'm new here and i would like to the one to maintain a friendly atmosphere here. :) Actually, i follow this forum for about 2 years, but, finally, i managed to create an account. :D
If talking about the main topic of this theme, i'm a bit dissapointed that Klaipėda is being presented like a small and borring town here. I think, that there's something related with a wide-spread oppinion of people from Vilnius, who sometimes can't accept that Klaipėda can overcome the capital city. I live in Klaipėda myself and i am glad to represent this city here. :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Nice photos!
I don't know why, but Klaipeda doesn't look as an interesting city. Why is that? Isn't it really an interesitng city? It was quite big city before II WW, so there should be thousands of townhouses. But for some reasons I've never seen any of them on this forum.
Percentagly Klaipeda was one of the most destroyed cities in Europe during the WW2. The tramway system was dismantled by the soviets in 60's.

But do not let the lack of pictures here fool you, Klaipeda is an awesome city with unique atmosphere and spectacular surrounding nature.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Hello, everyone. I'm new here and i would like to the one to maintain a friendly atmosphere here. :) Actually, i follow this forum for about 2 years, but, finally, i managed to create an account. :D
If talking about the main topic of this theme, i'm a bit dissapointed that Klaipėda is being presented like a small and borring town here. I think, that there's something related with a wide-spread oppinion of people from Vilnius, who sometimes can't accept that Klaipėda can overcome the capital city. I live in Klaipėda myself and i am glad to represent this city here. :)
Trust me, most of Vilnians sincerely love Klaipeda.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe in that as i know quite much vilnians, who honestly like Klaipėda. However, sometimes i see comments where Klaipėda is being undeservedly underrated. I really hope that after some bigger events, like "Europeade" or "Tall ships race" people have explored that Klaipėda isn't just a small, unknown town, located near the Baltic sea, with nothing interesting to see or do. Of course, Vilnius is unique and cool, but so is Klaipėa. :)
And, just to add, i don't support and understand the idea of "dividing" of our country. :)

·
planquadrat
10,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice photos!
Well... Klaipeda is a one-day city that you can see entirely in one day. I wouldn't call it boring or uninteresting but it is best to come there in July/August when there is a reasonable number of festivities taking place (such as the Tall Ships Race... what a sight!). And Palanga is just next door where lots of fun is going on :). I come back to Klaipeda every year and I love that city despite the fact that I, in fact, have nothing to do with it (i.e. none of my family members or friends ever came from there).

Nice photos from Klaipeda @Pansori :) Klaipeda how far is from Vilnius?
It's more than 300km away via a direct motorway link. So it's about 3 hours if there are no serious road-works or traffic.

I'm glad too. Welcome! :)

Klaipeda is certainly NOT being presented as a small or boring city. I, at least, try to do my best, considering that I spent about 2 weeks at the most in Lithuania every year... I would like to ask the Klaipedians WHERE are YOUR quality photos from YOUR hometown? Hmm... none so far it seems... so stop winging, grab the camera and go out when the weather is nice. If I can manage to come to Klaipeda from London and even take a few reasonably good photos I'm sure so can do you ;)

As about Vilnius, there is nothing to accept or not-accept. We should agree that Vilnius, after all, is THE best and most fascinating city in Lithuania and it is so by far and without any question. I have to disappoint those thinking that Klaipeda or Kaunas or anything else can be a match to Vilnius. No. And it will never be. That doesn't mean that I or anyone else do not love or admire Klaipeda. We just have to understand what is what and be realistic. Just like Tartu is no match for Tallinn or Liverpool is no match for London or Osaka is no match for Tokyo (they all are amazing cities though).

As Vilnian I can only absolutely agree with that :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Well... Klaipeda is a one-day city that you can see entirely in one day.
How big was Klaipeda just before WW1?
I'm just wondering, how can it be that Liepaja, which was also badly damaged in wars, holds larger historical heritage, although it is 2 times smaller city now.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
How big was Klaipeda just before WW1?
I'm just wondering, how can it be that Liepaja, which was also badly damaged in wars, holds larger historical heritage, although it is 2 times smaller city now.
Klaipeda was smaller than Liepaja, as nearby Koenigsberg had always overshadowed it and the proximity of Klaipeda to foreign borders was harmfull in a way too. It is only after 1923, when lithuanians retook the city by force from the french troops, that Klaipeda started booming. By late 30's the population of Liepaja and Klaipeda was already more or less equal and later on Klaipeda ran away.

"Damadged during the wars" is one thing. Klaipeda case is far different. "Battle of Memel" (1944-1945), lasted over 3 months and was rather a siege. Soviet artillery and airforce bombing from one side, Kriegsmarine responding from the other. All of the city was literally in ruins at the end of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts