SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the Croatian War of Independence 87% of the population of the municipality and and 79% of the city were Serbs. During the war most of the non-Serb population left Knin, while in the last days of the war Serbs themselves left the city before it was retaken by the Croatian forces.

Knin's population is in more flux than that of other Croatian cities given that it has a major refugee problem: both with a large number of Croats who immigrated there and Serbs from Knin who are still refugees. By average resident age, Knin is the youngest city in Croatia. Although Croats now form majority in the city Serbs form majority in most villages around.

The Invasion of Serbian Knin, and whole Krajina.
http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/elich/krajina.html

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
^^ At least you got the header right mentioning that Knin is in Croatia. Pity you have turned this topic into a somewhat pathetic political thread. :|

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
Well, since the author of this thread was too busy posting the political "facts", he somehow forgot to add actual images of this town :

so here we go; traditionaly poorest town in Croatia :

:cheers:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SinCity said:
^^ At least you got the header right mentioning that Knin is in Croatia. Pity you have turned this topic into a somewhat pathetic political thread. :|
No Politics, I just wanted people to know where I come from, and what happend to Serb people of Knin, Croatia from 1991-1995.

Sorry guys.

·
46,773 Posts
the fortress looks nice

any more pics of it?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Knin is such a beautiful quaint little town!! I was there years ago though, probably has changed a lot!

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
Youngstar said:
could you elaborate that?
Knin (inlc. its surrounding) has always been the very least developed corner of Croatia, 100 yrs ago, 50 yrs ago, and nowdays. nothing has really changed there.

·
קוסובו ה
1,409 Posts
My hometown. :D Looks great, brings a lot of nice memories. It's been six years since the last time I visited it. :cheers:

·
קוסובו ה
1,409 Posts
bubach_hlubach said:
Knin (inlc. its surrounding) has always been the very least developed corner of Croatia, 100 yrs ago, 50 yrs ago, and nowdays. nothing has really changed there.

Who's to blame for that? Knin is somewhat forgoten city throughout a year, except on August 5th. Sad but true.

·
46,773 Posts
so whats the story/history behind the old fort?

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
LordMarshall said:
so whats the story/history behind the old fort?
Nothing really exciting about it...here are few words i was able to find about the fortress :

The history of Knin goes back to the 6th and the 7th ct. at the times of the great migration of peoples, although numerous archeological remains prove much older life in this area. About its medieval importance best proof is the fact that in 1040 a diocese was founded here and its authority was recognized as far as to the river Drava. Because of its geografic location and defence forces, Knin was in the past the most important fortress in Dalmatia. Very well preserved Knin fort on the Spas hill overlooking the town, proves it. Knin was the capital of the Croatian kings and it reached its prosperity during the reign of the King Zvonimir, between 1074 and 1088 and that's why the town is often called Zvonimir's town. Its strategic role played important part in many wars and power changes - beginning with the Croatian noblemen, Croato-Hungarian kings, Venetians, Turks, to Austrians and French.
http://www.infoadriatic.com/knin/index.shtml

·
Premium User
4,698 Posts
The poorest town in Croatia but it has its charme.... I guess so.... Whatever, I don't like Knin. I ve been there few times and it looks very boring.

·
46,773 Posts
thanks for the answer bubach hlubach

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't know if many people are aware but the name of Knin stems from Kraljevski Nin, translated that means King's Nin. Nin, near Zadar, was the the first major political & religious centre of Croats on the Adriatic in the earliest days of settlement. Knin was a Royal retreat in the days of the Croatian Kings.

Much of the population of Knin now consists of Croatian refugees from BiH, in particular Croats from the Northern Hercegovina city of Konjic (just south of Sarajevo) form a large percentage of the population.

Unfortunately there is little economic activity in Knin and most people live off social welfare, the town itself isn't that appealing (except for the Fort) but the natural surroundings are quite beautiful.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Mali said:
Who's to blame for that? Knin is somewhat forgoten city throughout a year, except on August 5th. Sad but true.
Its stuck inland near the border with BiH, away from major transportation routes. Knin will never be a booming city full of development. It was grown artificially in the days of Yugoslavia by having a massively overstaffed railway juncture and a JNA Army base. Croats from Knin (who used to be an overwhelming majority in the 19th century) have been migrating from Knin to the coastal cities of Split, Sibenik & Zadar for over a century in search of jobs.

Inland Dalmatian towns like Knin, Drnis, Sinj & Imotski will never become large cities as most economic activity takes place on the coast belt.

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
Sabunjar said:
Its stuck inland near the border with BiH, away from major transportation routes. Knin will never be a booming city full of development. It was grown artificially in the days of Yugoslavia by having a massively overstaffed railway juncture and a JNA Army base. Croats from Knin (who used to be an overwhelming majority in the 19th century) have been migrating from Knin to the coastal cities of Split, Sibenik & Zadar for over a century in search of jobs.

Inland Dalmatian towns like Knin, Drnis, Sinj & Imotski will never become large cities as most economic activity takes place on the coast belt.
Even after WWII, Croats made majority in Knin, until JNA started moving there.

http://www.knin.hr/stranice/o_kninu/povijest.asp

·
Registered
674 Posts
bubach_hlubach said:
Even after WWII, Croats made majority in Knin, until JNA started moving there.

http://www.knin.hr/stranice/o_kninu/povijest.asp

Bubach, I have a copy of a magazine from Hrvatska Matice Iseljenika (1990) which an article on the demographics of Knin from the Habsburg days until the latter dyas of SFRJ, I'll fish it out later.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FredPerry said:
The poorest town in Croatia but it has its charme.... I guess so.... Whatever, I don't like Knin. I ve been there few times and it looks very boring.
of course there it's boring now, because you guys destroyed my town, you guys burned my house, etc...

it was wonderful before 1995.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts