Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be useful to have an over-arching thread to discuss the forthcoming proposals for the area around Lime Street and the lower section of Brownlow Hill, now known as the Knowledge Quarter Gateway, or KQ Gateway. Any development contained therein of sufficient scale can still have its own thread, like how we have several development threads spun-off from the over-arching Paddington Village thread.

Today, PNW reports -
Team appointed on KQ Gateway

Liverpool City Council has appointed GVA How Planning, K2 Architects and Planit-IE to develop a masterplan for the Knowledge Quarter Gateway.

The partnership will now create a Spatial Regeneration Framework for the Gateway, which covers more than 56 acres. It is hoping to form a draft masterplan for consultation towards the end of this year, which could be adopted by the council’s cabinet in early 2019.

The council is due to meet with the winning consortium for an inception meeting today. Place North West understands that of around 20 bidders, three consortia were shortlisted, with the runners-up being teams led by Sheppard Robson and MICA, formerly Rick Mather Architects.

Key issues will include how best to redevelop the Lime Street area around the Adelphi Hotel, Central Station and Mount Pleasant; dovetailing the proposals from Liverpool John Moores University at Copperas Hill; plans for the Fabric District and London Road; Merseytravel’s plans for Central Station and private sector schemes such as Circus Liverpool at the former Lewis’s building.

The team will also include a number of supporting consultants including Mott Macdonald on transport, GVA on property advisory services, Rob Burns on heritage and Enfusion on strategic environmental assessment.

The council recently acquired Central Station shopping centre and is overseeing public realm proposals for St George’s Plateau. It has also set out an ambition to redevelop the Mount Pleasant car park area.

KQ Liverpool is classed as a Mayoral Development Zone, with its main project on site being the £1bn Paddington Village scheme.
Article continues here - https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/team-appointed-on-kq-gateway/

·
Registered
848 Posts
About time this happened
Long overdue
That ugly MSCP, the tatty old 051 building, and the former Reeces / Adelphi car park opposite should all have been developed long ago
Eyesores the lot of them, and right in the centre of the city

·
Banned
6,090 Posts
I heard the council were looking in to autonomous pods to link Paddington village to the city centre. Apparently the estimates for a tram link were higher than anticipated.

What is an autonomous pod, how will it work in city centre traffic, and how much will it cost compared a a tram line (or, for that matter, a new.railway station) ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't really know the details, it was just mentioned to me by someone who had given LCC a presentation on future cities and LCC followed up wanting to know more on this aspect, specifically mentioning Paddington as a location where it could solve some issues. I expect it would be a similar system to the one they had at the London Olympic village with the pods just following a set route. I don't know the cost details but the advantage would be not having to put down any rails or divert utilities. I don't imagine that traffic would be an issue with the advances in self driving cars but for ease I'd imagine you run them off carriageway where possible, such as through the copperas hill site.

·
8,244 Posts
I heard the council were looking in to autonomous pods to link Paddington village to the city centre. Apparently the estimates for a tram link were higher than anticipated.
Can't be higher than the literally hundreds more millions Manc has just been given for it's Metrolink system. As VDB is so fond of reminding us, just 'present a workable plan to government and government will fund it.'

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Can't be higher than the literally hundreds more millions Manc has just been given for it's Metrolink system. As VDB is so fond of reminding us, just 'present a workable plan to government and government will fund it.'
Or we could try the HS2 route in that presenting an unworkable plan to government and government will fund it"....unless it's Liverpool. Just slap Manchester on the cover and hope no one notices.

·
Banned
6,090 Posts
Pods? Good grief, we need a station built there and at Baltic. These are key sites that are expanding the city centre and need transport infrastructure to serve them, not stupid gimmicks.

What next, Rickshaws to Parliament Street? Horse and cart to the royal gardens of Bixteth?

A good quality citywide bus service wouldn't be bad either

·
Banned
6,090 Posts
Even something like a regular circular shuttle bus just between Edge Hill and Liverpool One. Edge Hill station approach, Grove Street, Brownlow Hill,, Hanover Street, Liverpool One.

Or better still, normal bus routes being extended to cover those points and make it more attractive for people to travel from further out by bus to those destinations, as they wouldn't have to change. As for KQ, much could be done in the short term by increasing the frequency of existing routes serving the area, such as the 7, 76, 77 and 79.

·
Just something
9,269 Posts
New investment in Sci Tech / Knowledge Quarter...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.