SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 1319 Posts

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Korça is one of the main Albanian cities. It situates in the southeast Albania, beside the Morova mountain, 869m above the sea level, 179 km south-east of Tirana.

Korca is cited as an resident center during the 15-th century, that later became a commercial and handicraft town. Due to its geographical position and its fertile lands, the city's population grows enough during the 17-th and 18-th century. During this period, there were built characteristic buildings that are preserved nowadays. During the 19-th century Korca became one of the biggest economical,commercial and cultural centers of the country. The big town's bazaar grew during this century, particular for his architecture.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
^ I think you should start an Albanian Cities thread, Football Rules. Most of your threads only have two or three photos and, while I love to see all the places I can, and will continue to check your threads anyway - an Albanian Cities thread combining them all would be so much easier and interesting, it'll also ensure more people around the world get to see them all on this forum.

I don't mean to sound biased, truly. I wish I'd done that with my 100 threads of Bosnian towns.

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mila said:
^ I think you should start an Albanian Cities thread, Football Rules. Most of your threads only have two or three photos and, while I love to see all the places I can, and will continue to check your threads anyway - an Albanian Cities thread combining them all would be so much easier and interesting, it'll also ensure more people around the world get to see them all on this forum.

I don't mean to sound biased, truly. I wish I'd done that with my 100 threads of Bosnian towns.
Sometimes your posts amuse me Mila:D
So what you are saying is that i should not open new threads of albanian cities but instead open a special thread and post all cities in that thread?
I dont believe you realise how insulting one may take this as from what i have seen so far this has not been asked to other members before?
Moreover , there is such a thread about EE cities , the one 3tmk opened and is the first one in this sub-forum.
I understand some may get annoyed at seeing threads of albanian cities but the least they can do is show the very little respect which should not come as a privilege but rather as a modest act of thought.

·
Incendia Astrum
971 Posts
Hey FootballRules please don't see things this way. You posted only one photo of Korca and it was reasonable for practicity purposes to include single photos in othe rcities threads. You can open a thread for Vlora, Saranda and Gjirokastra, one for Korca, Pogradec and surroundings and so on. People will find it easier. Don't need to make of these a "political" issue. This was the most calm Seatern European forum I found on the net and people are respectful. People don't get annoyed seeing Albanian cities but get annoyed to see one one picture for each thread as this thread was before you posted the other pics.
Now Korca is a nice and romantic city, with a very strong cultural identity, wonderful people and breathtaking surroundings. But on the other hand the construction business is not developed there. Voskopoja, Bozdovec and Dardha are amazing tourist destination but infrastrucutre is poor. Dardha people are very nice and cook in a special way. I think that Korca and its surroundings are a must visit for a tourist if they visit Albania. The funny thing is that when you visit Dardha, nearby there is a location known as the "Stinky Water", because the stream thereby smells so bad that it annoyes. The funny part is people drink from this stream and they think it is healthy. After some research I found they were right. The minerals found on that water are a blessing for the human stomach. Korca is also famous for its beer, "Birra Korca", which is the best one I have tasted so far, and its "kernace" which are like qebap but taste a lot, and thats a lot, better. It is a great place to visit in young groups cause it is a location that gives adventure, special cusine, descent accomodation and a lot of ghosts stories that make the night experience in the woods an unforgetable one.
This year there will be a ferry line conecting Pogradec with Ohrid through the lake and Pogradec is close to Korca.
By the way Football Rules. A week ago or so, the Pogradec masterplan was approved. Do you have any pics of what the city will look like? You can post pictures of Pogradec (the city, Tushemisht, Drilon, Kamja Stone, Golic Bridge, Selca and Lin) in this thread. I think it will be interesting to have a couple of them here.

·
Incendia Astrum
971 Posts
Just a suggestion regarding the photos. Try not to include Aurel Duka photos if you can find other. His photos are photoshoped. He messes up a lot and they do not reflect the way light interacts with the surroundings as in real life but as in it photohsoped life. He also adds vegetation and objects that do not exist.

·
Incendia Astrum
971 Posts
OK, here is a list of what pictures we need here:

-Morava
-Bozdovec
-Guri Capit (Goats Stone)
-Dardhe
-Pogradec (city)
-Drilon/Tushemisht
-Voskopoje

Voskopoje is a must. It used to be big city once now it is more or less a village. It had 24 chuches and library and so on...A wonderfull place.

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ILLIRICUM , perhaps you didnt read my post through
There is such a thread about EE cities
We havent posted everything about Albania here.I want to open threads about cities that have not been posted and for this i have to open a special thread and post all new city threads there?
This is totally ridiculous and offensive.
I will open new threads about cities that have not been posted and later make a note to 3tmk to transfer them in the main sticky thread

About the places you listed , there is a thread of Pogradec and you can find it in the sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum
The other places are nature scenes and i have opened thread about Albania's mountains , beaches and rivers&lakes
You can find all these in the sticky thread on top

·
Banned
156 Posts
Illiricum

Do you know any latest news from Korca? Are they doing anything with the city or are they neglecting it? I would hate to see high rises in Korca. I'd like to see more characterstic buildings.

Meanwhile let me post some photos...

Korça në shi
"Ca pika shiu ranë mbi qelq
e unë për ty seç ndjeva mall..."

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Peronally, I think that Korca, Shkodra, and Gjirokastra have very nice atmospheres. You feel good being in those cities, they are poor, not doing as well even by albanian standards, yet they are really warm because of hteir old architecture. THe pazari of Gjirokastra and the castle are some of the best places i have been too, although one shouldn't be surprised if they see the men having a monopoly in cafes.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
One of my favorite Orthodox churches ever. If a mod could put (Orthodox Church) in the threat title, I'd really appreciate it. I want Orthodox Christians on the forum to see the church and share if they like it, how it makes them feel.

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is where Illiricum comes from, i think.
Korca is known as an orthodox city.
It is very rich in culture, many famous people come from here.
I think it's the 6th or 7th biggest city in Albania, i am not so sure.
I know very little about this place to be honest.

·
Banned
225 Posts
The street to the church. the church can be seen in the back

·
Banned
225 Posts

·
Banned
225 Posts

1 - 20 of 1319 Posts