SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Alive
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been an 'explosion' of theme park development news in Korea.
Here are some of them:

Paramount Theme Park - Incheon in 2011

The Hollywood film producer, known for hits such as "Titanic" and "Mission Impossible", will build the resort with Daewoo Motor Sales Corp.
The two companies said in a joint news conference on Thursday they would invest 950 billion won ($1.03 billion
Paramount Movie Park Korea will have more than 30 attractions, said Michael Corcoran, president of Paramount Pictures Corp.'s consumer products and recreation group, who predicted it will draw more than 5 million visitors during its first year of operation.

MGM Movie Resort - Incheon in 2010-11

$1.02 billion MGM Studios-based destination resort conceived and designed by Thinkwell Design & Production consists of a world-class theme park, entertainment retail complex and hotel.
MGM and its Korean partner, the Incheon International Airport Corp., agreed to build the "MGM Studio Park" on a 1.5 million-square-meter site on the island of Yongjong

Universal Studios South Korea - Hwaseong in 2012

In a press release, USKOR and Universal Parks & Resorts said that a facility in South Korea could potentially exceed the size of Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Studios Japan.
The parks include attractions based on Universal films including "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" and "King Kong," as well as movies made by other studios such as "Spiderman" and "Shrek."
Officials also said a them park would also draw on elements of South Korean cinema, which has developed an international reputation, especially in Asia.
Universal Studios, controlled by General Electric Co., and local builder POSCO Engineering & Construction Co. plan to build a $3 billion theme park​
The provincial governor, Kim Moon-su, estimates that Universal Studios South Korea could generate 2.9 trillion won (USD $3.2 billion) in foreign investment, 190 million won per year in tax revenues and 60,000 new jobs.

Marvel Theme Park - Korea - Busan in 2013

United Arab Emirate-based developer Al Ahli Group and the Korean city government of Busan signed a partnership agreement to build a theme park that will feature the superheroes of U.S. comic book company Marvel Entertainment Inc., the two sides said Tuesday (May 27).
The theme park will cost at least $800 million, they said in a joint statement.
The facility is part of the Korean city's project to build a large-scale tourism complex for 4 trillion won ($3.8 billion) by 2016.

Robotic Theme Parks/ "Robot Land" (two of them) - Masan and Incheon in 2013

The robot theme parks will be built in Incheon, 40 kilometers west of Seoul, and Masan, a port city on the south coast, at the combined cost of 1.48 trillion won ($1.61 billion), the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy said.

·
Faith of the Heart
2,274 Posts
Wow.. that's very interesting news, BOM. I never knew they were planning to build a Marvel Theme Park. I wonder how successful it will be though? I don't think a lot of Koreans are familiar with Marvel Comics characters.

too much concentration in incheon...
That's where the airport is :)

·
외국인
119 Posts
Wow.. that's very interesting news, BOM. I never knew they were planning to build a Marvel Theme Park. I wonder how successful it will be though? I don't think a lot of Koreans are familiar with Marvel Comics characters.
Spider Man?

·
Banned
52 Posts
신라인들이 옛날에 개으르고 노는거를 좋아한다고 들었는데 (백제인들하고, 고구려인들은 정신력이 뛰어나고) 아마 그럴꺼야. 농담이고... 뭐, 좋네...

Anyway, won't be strange if they build another Universal Studio? There is one already in Osaka, so if they build, it will be too close to each the other?

·
BANGED
772 Posts
Robotic Theme Parks/ "Robot Land" (two of them) - Masan and Incheon in 2013

What is this? Never heard of this project before.

·
Alive
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is this? Never heard of this project before.
I just added the picture from an article I found
I believe it is from a pixar movie of some sort
:)
otherwise, the robot parks seem rather low-key compared to the others.

·
Faith of the Heart
2,274 Posts
According to recent news, there's seem to be some new drive to get MGM and Universial built. The competing consortiums are joining hands and there are new participants as well. The obstacles remain though, such as local residents opposing development.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts