SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No moro moro! I think it might have already been half a year ago since the last time I posted a photo thread to this place. The last three threads were from Western Finland, this time it's from South-East Finland.

Subtly Renovated 60's building.

May Day, hence all the flags you see in some of the photos.

Posting more pictures later...

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Wow, Kotka looks much better than I excepted! Considering it's an industrial and harbour town, it has a lot of nice architectural pieces from jugendstil to functionalism. But if there's something that Kotka needs, it must be some street life - to be honest, those streets are unnaturally empty.

And pics are well taken.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jarmo said:
damn nice architecture!! especially in the first photo, aaaah, funk!
aaah, I also love that building. Here it is from another angle.

Jape said:
But if there's something that Kotka needs, it must be some street life - to be honest, those streets are unnaturally empty.
Well, there's a very simple reason for that. Most of the photos are from 5am to 9am. If you look my photos, you can notice that there's hardly - if any - clouds in the sky. I don't know why, but there has hardly been any good cloudy days in Kotka for the last moth or so. I'm shooting with a crappy 200€ point and shoot camera and the skies tend to burn and the buildings underexposure if go photographing when the sun is high up in the sky. I've solved this by going photographing very early in the morning or very late in the evening, but usually in the morning as I have better things to do in the evening.

These photos are pretty representative of the problem I'm talking about. It's either burned sky or underexposured buildings - sometimes both. It naturally easier to turn your back on the sun if it's lower.

Anyways, back to Kotka...

The city hall funkis building too, although from a distance it just looks, well you know... because of the grayness. The sky is photoshopped. ;)
I could only wish for a perfect day like that.

more pics coming...

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Nice pictures - I really like the wooden houses..and the decoration on the buildings are okay too - although a little funky at times :D

·
3:36
2,838 Posts
ch1le said:
And yeah I also love the first pic :D but i beg to differ with Jarmo, looks more Decoish to me :D But i love boooth :D
you're right... grh, i tend to catecorise the conservative (northern) european art deco as funk, actually - it's quite the same, only more decorated :D
actually who needs to catecorise anything? :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice photos, indeed! Kotka has many construction projects going on, they are building a carpark under the market place in front of the town hall. The town centre is messy also becouse they are building a shopping mall in the very centre of the city.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Kotka is a nice city indeed, one of my favourites in Finland! Great pics too.

Nightsky said:
This church must be pretty tall. How tall is it and what is it called?
It is called "Kotkan kirkko" ("The Church of Kotka"), and its 54 metres tall. :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the comments, much apprieciated!

I've just moved back to Lahti three days ago and that has kept me pretty busy. And no, I didn't move away from Kotka because I wouldn't have liked the place, it's just that I'm trying to change my studies anyways. And it just so happens that my mother is spending her long sick-leave at the summer cottage, so I had the opportunity to live in her apartment in Lahti free of cost (right in city center :banana: ). Lucky me!

And yeah I also love the first pic but i beg to differ with Jarmo, looks more Decoish to me But i love boooth
I think your both right. As I've understood it, in Finland and possibly in the other the Nordic countries (I don't know what's the situation in the Baltic countries), we call pre 60's undecorated buildings as functionalist, whether they're bauhaus, art deco or funkis by international classification.

To give you a few examples;

Now, the left one is a bus station from Lahti and it's classified as a funkis building by the city museum.
The right one is a Maritime museum from San Francisco, and it's classified as a Streamline Moderne building,
a late sub branch of Art Deco. Streamline Moderne emphasized curving forms and long horizontal lines, aspects which are visible in the bus station.

Most buidings from that era are just a mix of all influences.

It's extremely hard to find 'pure' art deco outside Helsinki, let alone decorative ones. Even Helsinki has only a couple of them. This small industrial building, also from Lahti, is as close to art deco as I've come a cross in real life. It's totally devoid of any funkis or bauhaus influence.

The last pictures I took from Kotka. Cloudy day finally appeared...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
It's a nice city and all, but when you come close to the city you're hit with an overwhelming stench. No offence, but I just can't stant the smell in Kotka and it's everywhere.

Nice photos though! :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The only stench I know for sure to exist is near the train station where the stone bridge is. The first time I bicycled to the city I couldn't breathe near that place as the smell was horrid. However, it very rarely smells strongly so you must have visited Kotka in a bad day.

If you smelled it everywhere, then I would have probably adviced you to take a shower.... :runaway:

Naah... I only lived there for a year, so I don't know if an industry has been an annoyance there in the past.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts