Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First some facts:
* Founded in 1641 by Danish-Norwegian king Christian IV.
* Population: 76 917 (2006 ), Norway's 5'th biggest city.
* Area: 276 sq. kilometer
* Capital of the southern part of Norway, called "Sørlandet", also called the palm coast, although there are very few palms;)
* Immigrants: 10%, biggest groups are Vietnamese and Chileans.
* Transport hub: Has Norway's second biggest harbor, ferries to Hirtsals(Denmark), Gothenburg and Newcastle. Trains to Oslo and Stavanger. Airport with connections to Oslo, Stavanger, Copenhagen++. E-18 ends here, and E39 runs through.
* A very popular tourist-destination for Norwegians, population triple during summer.
* Downtown, simply refered to as Kvadraturen, is charachterised by its rectangular shape, with straight streets and rectangular city-blocks, inspired by the renessance. This satelite image shows this very well:

http://www.fvn.no/mmedia/kvadraturen_1054_1417.jpg

----------------

Finally, I was able to take some photos downtown in Kristiansand, my place of birth and home for the first 19 years of my life. For the last couple of years, it has felt strange to visit. When I'm just there 3-4 times a year, I notice how the town changes each time I'm home. Oops, there was a new road, and this roundabout is new isn't it? And I've never seen that shoppingmall before. And I didn't know they were building apartment-blocks there. Ohh, they've been there for 2 years? And so on. And each time I visit, I feel like the city is not the city I left nearly 10 years ago. Not just because the infrastructure and the apearance gradually changes, because most things look like before, but most important because it feels more and more like I lived there in another life. Almost all the people I used to hang with back then, where are they? I couldn't walk a block without bumping into people I knew back then, now I can walk around for an hour without seeing a single familiar face! Many have moved to another place, but most people I have no idea where is now. I've gradually lost touch with my former life. I didn't notice it the first years, but now I do. My life is in Oslo now, this is where I have all my friends, except for one, that still lives down there. And so I became very sentimental while I walked around, thinking about what had happened to people I used to know, former friends, colleagues, people in my highschool-class and so on.

So, this is part of the pedestrian-street, Markens. Actually, there are only 2-3 streets that have higher rental-prices than Markens in Norway.

"Herlig land", one of the a common local phrases to use instead of swearwords, and a nice café. Kristiansand is very much part of the Norwegian bible-belt;)

Lower main square

The cathedral

Upper main square

City hall in front, and in the background Kristiansand's most hated building; Tinghuset, used as courthouse/policestation/prison(Actually, the top floor is prison).

Another look at Markens

Main bus-station and ferry-harbour. This will be the site for the new "Fellesterminalen", with a bus-station, train-station, ferry-terminal, shoppingcentre and apartments, all in one!

As mentioned, Norway's 2'nd biggest harbour

Ernst hotel and nightclub-complex

Vestre Strandgate, and a really nice mexican restaurant to the right.

Falconbridge, one of the biggest nickel-factories in the world(don't remember if it is 2'nd or 3'rd). Used to be the biggest employer in Kristiansand. And also the biggest polluter. If I had taken this picture on the same spot 30 years ago, there wouldn't have been any trees in the background. They had all died out...

Rederiet, restaurant and nightclub.

And the tallest highrise in the city(there's only 2:D), Caledonien Hotel, with 13 floors, built in 1969. (The stadium is under construction though, and the tower on 17 floors is still in the plan, so I guess someone at emporis can set its status to under construction?) There was a fire in the hotel in the 80'ies, 14 people died. After that, the hotel was renovated, but since then absolutely nothing has been done, and that is why the interior of the 7-8 bars/nightclubs in there looks extremely tacky on this side of the millennia.

Now we are in Østre Strandgate, the most prominent street to live in. You gotta be quite rich to live here.

The Nupen Park, designed by local artist Kjell Nupen

Those residentials are new, the first time I've seen them. It used to be a parkinglot there, wich I've used many times.

Monument welcoming people coming from the sea to Kristiansand's eastern harbour.

Out there is Grønningen lighthouse. It is actually possible to rent rooms there, and it is recomended. I spent the night there once.

Abit early to start bading perhaps, but a clear sign of spring.

The fortress

Well, that should be enough for now, but there are more photos waiting:)

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Looks nice - and it looks like a place that gets a lot of snow in the winter?

BTW when has Christian IV ever been even remotely Norwegian? It was all Denmark back then! :D

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, Christian IV was the most Norwegian king of all the Danish-Norwegian kings! Noone visited Norway so many times, and showed such an interest in the country as him;)

It usually is very little snow, atleast it has for the last 15 years. It may come alot of snow at once, sometimes 30 cm or more in a day, but it usually melts within a week or so. It has rarely been snow-cover for more than 2-3 weeks in a row. This winter has been exeptional though. It was almost 1,5 meters where my parents live. I don't think it has ever been so much snow in Kristiansand since 1968 or something, and certainly not so late. There was no snow until late february, then suddenly it just kept snowing and snowing for 1 1/2 months!

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
NorthStar77 said:
Haha, Christian IV was the most Norwegian king of all the Danish-Norwegian kings! Noone visited Norway so many times, and showed such an interest in the country as him ;)
Well who's to blame him, it's a wonderful "little" peice of land you guys got up there :D

About the snow don't mind me, I just thought it looked more open and ready for it somehow... :)

Great pics keep em comming - Christian would have wanted it that way! :cheers:

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
About the snow don't mind me, I just thought it looked more open and ready for it somehow...
Ahh, that's okay:eek:kay: It had afterall been alot of snow there just a few weeks earlier, so you weren't that wrong.

-----

More phots taken the same day(almost a month ago now)

Festningsgata(Fortress street). Made into an avenu after the big fire in 1892, where almost half of the town burned to the ground. The idea was that if there were another fire, atleast not the entire town would burn down. At the same time it became forbidden to build in wood. You've seen seen some of the result in the previous thread, and see some in this thread. "Murbyen", built after the fire, has quite alot of interesting late 19'th/ early 20'th century architecture. I accidently saw a program about that particular architecture in Kristiansand on Swedish TV once :D

Kongensgate school (or just "Kongens").

Across the street, Musikk-konservatoriet. Music college, mostly in rythmic instruments.

The most hated building once more, from the other side. It was extended a few years ago.

And now we come into the part of the city that survived the big fire, Posebyen. The name is supposed to come from "repose, wich means rest in French, as this has been the living-quarter for french soldiers once(can't really remember when). This part of town, about 1/4 of downtown, is said to be the biggest area of uninterrupted low wooden white houses from the 18'th and 19'th century in Northern Europe. It really is a cosy place, very popular for both locals and tourists. There's alot of amateur artists here, wich has a street-market every Saturday in the summer-season.

Churches, everywhere there's churches

One of the many backyards

Walking over to Kuholmen, where there is a nice view towards the city. In the background the other highrises in Kristiansand is visible(there are 3 of them although emporis only list one). The rather ugly star shaped blocks in Kristiansand's first commieblock-suburb, Tinnheia.

Looking towards a suburb called Søm

Looking towards Setesdal.

The firehouse Oksøya (how I miss beeing out on the sea:()

Typical coastal house in southern Norway. Costs typically a fortune :(

Back in Kvadraturen, some colorful rowhouses in Elvegata

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Great pics! Kristiansand is a really beautiful city. I can't remember much from my visit there when i was 10 years old. The police station is a shame, as tonns of other buildings in Norway, Radisson SAS Caledonien isn't anythign to be proud of either! But the older architecture used on some of the buildings is great!

Yet again, fantastic pics! :eek:kay:

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
wow !! Awesome pics, Arvid !! Those white buildings are just amazing ! Kristiansand seems to be a very nice city with nice scenary and architecture. I especially love the Rederiet !! Now that is one amazing building !

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
^
^ Yeah, i think i kinda missed your thread that day you posted it!

Btw, took any pics from Dyreparken? I remember that pretty well from my trip, both Kardemommeby, and the watercoaster and Kaptein Sabeltan of course, by brother was suchs a big fan of him as child! :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Really nice pictures! Kristiansand has many beautiful buildings! The rowhouses in the last picture reminds me of England. I spent a few hours in Kristiansand last month waiting for the Denmark ferry.

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
designwise said:
I especially love the Rederiet !! Now that is one amazing building !
Yeah. It was renovated a couple of years ago, and it costed a fortune. The owner, wich I sort of know, lost millions of NOK on renovating it.

Christian said:
Btw, took any pics from Dyreparken? I remember that pretty well from my trip, both Kardemommeby, and the watercoaster and Kaptein Sabeltan of course, by brother was suchs a big fan of him as child!
If you only knew how many children that is fan of Sabetann and how much their parents spend on plastic-gadgets:D I've worked for him, so I know;) I didn't visit this time, but I have many photos from a trip to the Zoo this christmas. The zoo is nice to visit in the winter, when there's not so many people there, and the animals are less shy. I'll post some of them later.

siddis said:
The rowhouses in the last picture reminds me of England
Yeah, those rowhouses are rather special. They remind me of these I photographed in Camden in London a month ago, although they do not look exactly the same

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
:applause: ^
Amazing, wondeful, beautiful
:applause:
P.S. Is there no beach in Kristiansand? :) I mean beach with sand :)

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ Thanks! Infact it is Kristiansand because the entire downtown on aprox 1*1 km is built on what was a sandbank, at the outlet of the river Otra. It is said that it used to be only one solid rock on the place the city is built, and it is still located on display inside a building I will show in the next photo-post.

There is one artificially made beach downtown though, Bystranda, wich was built some 10-15 years ago.

And outside the city, close to where I'm from, there's Hamresanden, a natural beach at the outlet of the Topdal river. This beach is large by Norwegian standards and considered one of the best in this country.

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Here is the old building that has a rock in the basement, called "Mølla"

Tinghuset once more

Posebyen again

This building used to house the first highschool in town, Katedralskolen("Katta"). The school moved to a really ugly gray box in the 70'ies, where I studied for 2 years.

The city park, aka Wergelandsparken, named up after General Wergeland, wich could be called the first enviromentalist. In the 1870-1880'ies, he ordered his soldiers to plant trees along avenues and on the hilltops near town, that had turned lifeless after the city-population had used the nearby forest as wood for firing, and sent their animals up there to eat all the rest of the vegetation. Many of the nice parks in the city, like Wergelandsparken, Ravndalen, and Baneheia is there thanks to him. The latter looks more like a natural forest, but it would have been nothing but stones there if it wasn't for him. Many of the trees planted then is there even today. And yes, he was a relative of Wergeland the author.

Pictures of Ravndalen if anyone is interested(I love this place, have some very special memories from it) http://www.ckk.no/kps/ravndalen/bilder/ravndalen-bilder.html

Baneheia is really a nice recreational area, right next to downtown. Most people in Norway outside Kristiansand only associate it with the worst criminal act in Norway ever though :( http://www.agderferie.no/krsand/leilighet/241/241-baneheia.jpg

Moving on with my own photos, Gyldenløvesgate

Back on the main-square. This is the building for the local newspaper, Fedrelandsvennen.

The old firestation, not in use anymore

Start(our footballteam) supporter-shop, and junkfood

Festningsgata once more. The statue of Christian IV pointing when saying "here shall the city lie". Quite similar to the statue of him in Oslo, wich has been presented in various Oslo-threads;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts