SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2413 Posts

·
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it began it's operation in 1998. It may look old in photos since for some parts, the ceiling uses the wood color to make it look somehow tropical and suits the environment. The airport is divided into 2 parts, the main building and the satellite building. The main building is for check-ins and domestic flights, while the satellite building is for the international flights. People now can check in their tickets and luggage at KLSentral in Kuala Lumpur city centre which is more than 70km away from the airport and take a 25-minute train ride there :)
Yes Ryan, it has 2 parallel runways each 4000m by 60m and are 2.5km away from each other. :)
Did you also know that KLIA is the second airport in the world after Munich to have a special chamber to defuse explosives as part of its sophisticated fire-fighting systems?

·
7,951 Posts
Its definately one huge mofo of an airport. Like really massive. Brisbane Airport reminds me of it a little bit, but its about 10 times smaller. The one thing I find most annoying about KLIA is the trains to the satellite terminal. In this regard, I find Chep Lap Kok much more convenient and efficient. But KL's trains looks pretty damn cool.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Mmm... gorgeous pics, specially those trains coming out of the snail shells... ;)

·
visit the world
7,863 Posts
That control tower looks really tall, how tall was it again. I thought somewhere in the 120m or so. What's the tallest in Europe I wonder. I think its the Schiphol tower with 100m.

·
Intriged by life.
134 Posts
those train stations look quite bizarre!

·
7,951 Posts
baqthier said:
hi, where r u from Chunkymonkey? :)

The subang one has already been closed. I hope they convert it into a mall or something ;)
Really? I thought it was going to be used for minimal domestic flights or business flyers?

·
Banned
51 Posts
KLA

Beautiful. Most greenfield airport developments these days are in a race to be better than the last. Seoul, KL, I think Shanghai?, Athens... It all started with Osaka I reckon.

·
12,947 Posts
Re: Love that design!

Insomniac said:
This train tunnel is wicked cool:

Insomniac > That is not a tunnel. It is actually a train station (Putrajaya Station if I m correct). :D

Chunkymonkey and Baqthier > It is not going to be a mall. They are planning a huge exhibition and convention centre there. It will be the only Convention and exhibition centre with a dedicated 747 runway in the world! It is called National Exhibition and Convention Centre if I remember correctly....:colgate:

Crazy King > It is complated this year...hehe....;)

1 - 20 of 2413 Posts