SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 5671 Posts

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year on 1st february, citizens of Kuala Lumpur gather to commemorate their city as the first Federal Territory. Kuala Lumpur went through great changes between the years 1946 and 1969. it was then places like Lebuh Pasar, Petaling Street, Java Street( now Jalan Tun perak), Foch Avenue(now Jalan Cheng Lock) plays a major role as city's business centre.

So, in this thread i will post street scene photos of those places which has gone various changes.

a street opposite to Petaling Street (i dunno the name is)

·
Registered
997 Posts
remember MARKET SQUARE?...this place was the busiest point in KL during 1940's. but now, nobody cares anymore.
Not only busy in the 1940's, probably since KL was founded. It became the most important commercial centre in the whole of KL. Just imagine the historical worth of the place and the tourism potential, if it was given some degree of attention...

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not only busy in the 1940's, probably since KL was founded. It became the most important commercial centre in the whole of KL. Just imagine the historical worth of the place and the tourism potential, if it was given some degree of attention...
yeah, i believe some are dated 1880's. and perhaps as old as sultan abd samad's building.

·
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter
10,128 Posts
this clock tower was erected to commemorate Queen Victoria's birthday during the colonial era...and what happen now? see for yourself!
cool!! didn't know it existed...

what happened to it is just terrible:eek:hno:

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
now we go to Sungai Kelang. our beloved river, which is malaysia's most purest river.:lol:

look at the water quality!!

i think i only can dream that one day i will water-cruise along this river....

·
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter
10,128 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
market square was the heart of kl back in yap ah loy s day
more about yap ah loy here
Hey thanks for the pictures and the links. Maybe not as old as other regional cities, but I think KL has an interesting history behind her crowded skyline~ and more about the way it grew from a mining village to the city it is today. :)

The historical areas are quite easily missed by tourists and locals alike, thinking that KL is only skyscrapers and elevated trains. But you can't blame them either, not much about the history is promoted, unlike Penang or Melaka.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Another important road in KL was Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, formerly Batu Road. This is part of the infamous Coliseum Theater, still one of the key landmarks along the road.

1 - 20 of 5671 Posts