SkyscraperCity Forum banner
261 - 280 of 5880 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts

Universiti Malaya

Universiti Hospital

Old KL Railway Station, the metal bridge & part of the KL skyline. The buses belongs to the now defunct KL-Klang-Port Swettenham bus company (now taken over by Rapid KL) .........

Around the Lake Gardens area, Kuala Lumpur (1)

Around the Lake Gardens area, Kuala Lumpur (2)

Pudu Jail & part of Shaw Road (now Jalan Hang Tuah) - 1930s or 1940s maybe?

The VI (Victoria Institution) School

Chow Kit (Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman) area, 1980s .........

Jalan Bandar/Jalan Tun H S Lee 1990s ........

The old Jabatan Penerangan Malaysia at Jln Tun Perak, KL - 1979

Genting Highlands resort, 1989 ....... (I know this photo is a bit out of the Old KL topic, but I really miss the Genting Highlands of the 70s and the 80s)

·
16,313 Posts
Some photos of KL in the late 70's ..........

KL skyline circa 1978 ........
Could be taken from fortuna hotel.I can see lights behind the Hilton hotel may be coming from the race course/complex Kewangan still under construction/Wisma Lim foo yong with the Fitzpatrick supermarket still there!!!Oh the good old days!!!
Nope.....This picture is taken from Blue Mansion at Tengkat Tong Shin. I could remember the shophouses and the 'U'-shaped apartment building there (which are all still standing till today). If this picture is taken from Fortuna Hotel, KL Hilton would be an an angle. :yes:

·
16,313 Posts
sometimes, there are names of those contributed much for KL early days. like Swettenham Road, Maxwell Road, Henry Gurney Road, these are the names who were prominent in our history too.

instead of Hang Tuah, Hang Jebat and Tun Perak who has nothing to do in KL and they didn't even know what KL is!

btw,

"Bellamy Road -> Old Airport Road -> Jalan Lapangan Terbang Lama -> Jalan Dewan Bahasa"

…is still 'Jalan Bellamy'. not Jalan Dewan Bahasa. that's the different road.
If I am not mistaken, Jalan Bellamy could have been all the way from today's Kwong Tong Cemetery / Alice Smith School till Edinburgh Circus back then before Jalan Istana. :yes: That is why the cemetery/school portion of Jalan Bellamy still exist. :D

·
16,313 Posts
taurus064 said:
My turn with this old postcard of The Federal hotel. Date is got to be at least 1957.

You can see that Jalan Imbi (at the bottom of the photo) was still undeveloped, still no Plaza Berjaya, Hotel Melia, Plaza Imbi or Berjaya Times Square. Forgive me but I have a strong feeling that this photo was taken in the 1970s at least .......
Definitely not 1957. This I believe is during the late 60s or 70s. That is because my family used to own the entire Federal Hotel land and we sold it to Low Yat. As you could see, we sold the 1st 1/3 to them and they built the frontage 9-storey portion in the early 50s. The early 60 would be the Revolving restaurant part and the final 1/3 is the swimming pool/bowling alley section. My ancestral home used to be at the last section fronting Jalan Bulan :yes:

·
16,313 Posts
Mountbatten Road - 1960

guess which road it is today....^^
I guess that must be Campbell Complex..so, it's where jalan dang wangi is now:banana:
Shah if i am not mistaken that could be one of the first high rise building in KL back then.And before Jalan Tun Perak it was known as Mountbatten Rd and before that it was Jawa St.

This is the Lee Yan Lian Building and it is still there but no one seems to notice hehe :D This is KL's tallest in the 60s. It is now located at Jalan Tun Perak opposite both Menara Maybank and Mydin ;)

·
16,313 Posts
Does anyone know if this kongsi is still around in Sultan Street (Jalan Sultan)?

picture copyrighted to Arkib Negara Malaysia

Jalan Sultan now mana ada such structure anymore? :D

Anyway I suspect the present location of this kongsi should be next to Wisma Selangor where there is a building called Ka Yin Association Building is. :yes:

·
Banned
1,497 Posts
Definitely not 1957. This I believe is during the late 60s or 70s. That is because my family used to own the entire Federal Hotel land and we sold it to Low Yat. As you could see, we sold the 1st 1/3 to them and they built the frontage 9-storey portion in the early 50s. The early 60 would be the Revolving restaurant part and the final 1/3 is the swimming pool/bowling alley section. My ancestral home used to be at the last section fronting Jalan Bulan :yes:
so sayang lor your ancestral home now gone.

btw, who owns the land of that cinema there? at the jalan bukit bintang-jalan pudu junction? (now parking lot)

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts

btw, who owns the land of that cinema there? at the jalan bukit bintang-jalan pudu junction? (now parking lot)
That cinema at the Jln Bukit Bintang - Jln Pudu junction is the Pavilion Cinema if I'm not mistaken - I used to go to that cinema a lot during the 70s for Chinese movies with my family ...........

·
16,313 Posts

That cinema at the Jln Bukit Bintang - Jln Pudu junction is the Pavilion Cinema if I'm not mistaken - I used to go to that cinema a lot during the 70s for Chinese movies with my family ...........

Of course sayang but that's the reality of life. Family fortune rises and fall. When we are at rock bottom we picked up again. This is real business and not play-play and there is no short-cut. We achived wealth and prosperity thru sheer hardwork. :yes:

The cinema is indeed Pavillion and the land is still owned by Cathay Organisation. Many years ago, they wanted to have a larger version of Cineleisure there but dunno what's their plan now. I remember it used to show only Chinese moview in the mid-90s when Cathay next door is showing all Hollywood movies. Before that, Pavillion is the largest and best cinema in KL showing the nicest Hollywood movies. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Thanks so much bro for all the old photos of our beloved city!
I have a lot of good luck in finding these nice photos from the internet - it does give me a sense of satisfaction and I'm very happy to share these photos with my fellow members of this forum. Anyway, 1st of February (Federal Territory Day) is fast approaching and let us make some effort to preserve the historical buildings we already have for the sake of future generations ..........

·
Registered
949 Posts
bolah tak sesapa tolong carikkan foto lama tapak Petronas Twin Towers sekarang....dgr nye dulu tmpt tu padang lumba kuda....kalau boleh foto yg exact location kat simpang public bank tu....sebelum KLCC dibangunkan aku blum lagi tinggal di KL, jadi aku tak tahu mcm mana rupa tempat tu sebelum KLCC ada...

·
Banned
15 Posts
Of course sayang but that's the reality of life. Family fortune rises and fall. When we are at rock bottom we picked up again. This is real business and not play-play and there is no short-cut. We achived wealth and prosperity thru sheer hardwork. :yes:

The cinema is indeed Pavillion and the land is still owned by Cathay Organisation. Many years ago, they wanted to have a larger version of Cineleisure there but dunno what's their plan now. I remember it used to show only Chinese moview in the mid-90s when Cathay next door is showing all Hollywood movies. Before that, Pavillion is the largest and best cinema in KL showing the nicest Hollywood movies. ;)
Bla, bla, bla,...shut yr mouth. ...only know how to talk, talk, talk.

261 - 280 of 5880 Posts