SkyscraperCity banner

5681 - 5700 of 5704 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts

Workers from National Union of Cold Storage Employees on strike in front of the old Weld Supermarket, Weld Road (Jalan Raja Chulan), Kuala Lumpur in December 1965.

·
Registered
15 Posts
oh how I wish downtown KL had been preserved as the old quarters without being replaced by all those office buildings and hotels. the western side like PJ could've been made the new quarters for building the fancy skyscrapers.
if working from home becomes the norm, those office buildings won't be of much use anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Uncle Raynman, I hope you're still here in this forum. Anyone else,can advise there this pic is taken? I know this could be about the MCD outlet opening in Bukit Bintang but I tried Google ahad sdn bhd and got an address in jalan tar. Bas mini #14 also indicated this could be between jalan tar or chowkit. I just need a validation. That national signboard could be a landmark but I am unable to confirm. Help please?

·
Registered
698 Posts
View attachment 1009479

Uncle Raynman, I hope you're still here in this forum. Anyone else,can advise there this pic is taken? I know this could be about the MCD outlet opening in Bukit Bintang but I tried Google ahad sdn bhd and got an address in jalan tar. Bas mini #14 also indicated this could be between jalan tar or chowkit. I just need a validation. That national signboard could be a landmark but I am unable to confirm. Help please?
This does not look like Jalan Bukit Bintang to me, so it is most probably Jalan Chow Kit or Jalan TAR. Or it could be anywhere along the Bas Mini 14 route.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The first outlet is at Bukit Bintang. The promotional VW was probably doing it's round throughout KL. Bas Mini 14 doesn't go to Jalan Bukit Bintang. It went from Klang Bus Stand through Chow Kit area, through Setapak to Gombak and back.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts

View of Jalan Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur; just 2 months before the terrible events of the Racial Riots of 13th May 1969.
Source: From Megat Kucing's post in Santai Sejarah FB page. This photo was from Maarof Kassim which he (Megat Kucing) shared in the group.

·
Ice Bear wants answers.
1,019 Posts
Unfortunately by the time SZB T1 handled its last passenger in 1998 the interior had been altered so much it no longer had the spiral staircases; these were removed by the time it went through a major renovation in the 80s. It should be around that time as well that jetways were added.

Compare the photo below with that of above - I believe both were taken around the same location:

There are more historical photos in http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?/topic/245-about-subang-in-her-heyday/ if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Unfortunately by the time SZB T1 handled its last passenger in 1998 the interior had been altered so much it no longer had the spiral staircases; these were removed by the time it went through a major renovation in the 80s. It should be around that time as well that jetways were added.

Compare the photo below with that of above - I believe both were taken around the same location:

There are more historical photos in http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?/topic/245-about-subang-in-her-heyday/ if anyone's interested.
You are right, they did remove the spiral ramp during that upgrading. You also can't access the outdoor viewing area anymore because it has been blocked by the new aerobridge gates and corridors.

5681 - 5700 of 5704 Posts