SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 5665 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Merdeka Square

Some pictures of the administrative buildings in KL around Dataran Merdeka (Merdeka Suqare) or simply the Padang as it was commonly called in most colonial cities.

This is the Charted Bank building. The building which was completed in 1910 replacing an older building. It is now the National History Museum

·
Registered
997 Posts
The building next to it (on the right) is the former Government Printing Office. It served as the Kuala Lumpur Memorial Library for some time recently, but I don't know what the current status is though.

·
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter
10,128 Posts
great shots, argory!! :eek:kay:

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This is the Charted Bank building. The building which was completed in 1910 replacing an older building. It is now the National History Museum
never been there, so..when Sultan Abdul Samad building converted into a...let say... museum, does it sounds boring...to have museum this and museum that in a same area?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Just wondering, why is the copper dome still brown? Copper oxidises to green like Sg's Supreme Court dome... :?
Not too sure, but I think it could be due to the stages of the natural weathering process. Like a 1 sen coin for instance...when it first comes out it is almost pinkish, becomes brown and then blackish-grey and if it survives, a greenish layer starts to form. So it could be that the cleaning of the domes frequently maintains the colour. In some old pictures of the SAS building, the domes appear very bright and shiny and in others they are almost black...

It could also be the materials factor and method used (like chemicals used to delay oxidation), which brings us to another interesting topic on old buildings. :D I think copper has interesting colours, remember bright blue copper sulfate crystals in the school lab?

·
Registered
997 Posts
never been there, so..when Sultan Abdul Samad building converted into a...let say... museum, does it sounds boring...to have museum this and museum that in a same area?
I think the idea of making that place into a museum and gallery zone was a long time proposal... From Dataran Merdeka to the Railway station area until the National Museum. So you would find a row of museums and galleries. That’s why the Majestic Hotel served as the National Art Gallery for some time. Now KL railway station also has the potential as a Railway Museum and once the courts move out of SAS building, the idea might actually work. :)

I think having museums in one area is good... admittedly not many people are into history and would not make the effort to go halfway around town to visit all of them if they were scattered ;)

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
i'm just thinking if bangunan sultan abdul samad could be a boutique hotel....how nice if we can have an evening tea at the verandah...facing dataran merdeka...:|

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
now we are going to Tengkat Tung Shin, in this building we can see flag poles which are a common feature of Art Deco. we can judge that this stucture dated around 1930s. sadly, the condition is very bad and need to be restored.

details

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
colorful shophouses at Tengkat Tung Shin

the design is not the typical pre-war shophouses around malaysia....if i'm not mistaken...it's a little bit 'french'....because the similarity to those shophouses in viet nam...

·
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter
10,128 Posts
i hate those airconds, astro dishes and signboard hanging on the art deco building. makes it look cheap

·
12,947 Posts
now we are going to Tengkat Tung Shin, in this building we can see flag poles which are a common feature of Art Deco. we can judge that this stucture dated around 1930s. sadly, the condition is very bad and need to be restored.

I used to frequent the shophouse with the flagpole a long time ago :D Used to tuition there during primary school. It is hell for me hahaha......used to hate going there. That is because it is like a torture chamber more than a tuition place. They used all sorts of methods to discipline students :D

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
another architectural beauty in Tengkat Tung Shin

these buildings has a original brick colored wall, balcony and non existence of five-foot way which are the character that makes them different from other shophouses we have seen.....

same type buildings but i believe the owner doesn't like the original color of the wall and simply repaint them....

·
Registered
997 Posts
these buildings has a original brick colored wall, balcony and non existence of five-foot way which are the character that makes them different from other shophouses we have seen.....
I believe these are rowhouses rather than shophouses, like the ones in the Heritage Row area. It was compulsory in colonial times (and probably still is) to build shophouses with five-foot ways.

41 - 60 of 5665 Posts