SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1601 - 1620 of 5880 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
ILM said:
I wonder what happened to the 'tiangs' on top of the building, they were there in the first pictures, the they just disappeared in all pictures from the 20th century...

BTW, I want Frank Swettenham to stand back there, these people, dont appreciate history.
Actually, even the old Supreme Court building lost its spires. Its a pity because these spires add quite a nice dimension to the buildings.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Here you go, taurus.:)

Thanks raynman. Although it is just a sketch but still very nice. A really grand-looking cinema in its 60s & most of 70s heydays - I would like to know a bit more of this cinema's history though. When was it built and opened for business? And does anyone know when was the fire that destroyed the cinema and when did they built the present structure?

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts

1) An undated photo (could be in the 1970s) showing a busy Jalan Sultan Ismail (formerly Treacher Road). Note the old KL Hilton, Kompleks Antarabangsa and the already-demolished Hotel Equatorial. Can anyone identify the building which is under construction beside Hotel Equatorial?

2) June 1974: This is the longest bus shelter in Kuala Lumpur, the new $7,500 combination of 12 shelters in Jalan Ampang, opposite the AIA building. Built by City Hall, it occupies an area that was once a car park. Crowds are large at peak hours and there is plenty of pushing and jostling. Buses do not stay long enough as the road is narrow and the traffic heavy. Buses at the new bus shelter can now drive into the shed area and allow the crowd to space themselves. It is due to open shortly.

3) February 1982: The Jalan Bangsar-Jalan Pantai Baru junction, Kuala Lumpur.

4) March 1980: More greens for the Jalan Ampang-Jalan Melaka-Jalan Gereja area in Kuala Lumpur.

5) November 1971: Several motorists have crashed into this road divider in Jalan Pudu after dark.

6) July 1971: A cool Police Beat Base in the city's hottest street. That's Beat Base No. 80, located at the junction of Jalan Mountbatten (now Jalan Tun Perak) and Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman in Kuala Lumpur. It is air-conditioned and with a wireless facility.

7) August 1985: This queue which spilled out of the Pudu Raya building bus terminal was stretched about 200 meters along Jalan Pudu, Kuala Lumpur.

8) May 1972: City Hall workmen breaking the pavement to make way for the one way slipway from Sulaiman Court opposite the Odeon cinema to Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman.

·
16,313 Posts

1) An undated photo (could be in the 1970s) showing a busy Jalan Sultan Ismail (formerly Treacher Road). Note the old KL Hilton, Kompleks Antarabangsa and the already-demolished Hotel Equatorial. Can anyone identify the building which is under construction beside Hotel Equatorial?

This building is the former Wisma SPK. Now it is Wisma MBF. There is a Fitness First there now. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts

1) March 1973: Ampang Park Shopping Complex will be opened for business on 15 March.

2) 24 January 1972: An arch erected by residents of the 4.5 Mile, Jalan Klang Lama (Old Klang Road), with flags from the states of Malaysia and two dragons to symbolise prosperity. This photo might be taken from the direction of where the present Old Klang Road Post Office and the adjacent Wet Market stands today. The cluster of coconut trees at almost the background left must be the site where Scott Garden is located today. Old Klang Road sure has seen tremendous growth & development for more than 40 years since this photo was taken .........

3) September 1972: The Malaysia Airlines System (MAS) ticketing office in the 26-storey UMBC building in Kuala Lumpur.

4) 6 Feb 1973 - View of Merdeka Roundabout & Jalan Maharajalela taken from the direction of Jalan Stadium. In the background (L to R) - the Chinese Assembly Hall, Bangunan Syarikat Koperasi Polis, the UMBC building and the old Shell House. The circled area is the location of pothole on kerb of Jalan Stadium which has been repaired.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
This is the Jalan Bukit Bintang/Jalan Pudu junction in 1966.

Kum Leng Restaurant, the corner lot situated at the turn-off to Jalan Galloway from Jalan Pudu, can be seen in the foreground.

Isn't this photo the one which I has already posted some time back? long1209 it will be nice if you can provide the "today" photo of this very same location - how this location looks today .........

·
Registered
702 Posts
Isn't this photo the one which I has already posted some time back? long1209 it will be nice if you can provide the "today" photo of this very same location - how this location looks today .........
Sorry taurus, I didn't realize you had posted this earlier.

It was my memory of Kum Leng Restaurant that prompted me to search for a photo which featured this Chinese restaurant which was quite popular in the 60s.

I still couldn't find a clear photo of it. :sad2:

1601 - 1620 of 5880 Posts