Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Resurrected
25,647 Posts
I was in the town a fee weeks ago and very surprised - it's REALLY a beautiful city! Okay this exhibition could be anywhere in the world :lol:

·
Optimum
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was in the town a fee weeks ago and very surprised - it's REALLY a beautiful city! Okay this exhibition could be anywhere in the world :lol:
In my opinion, Wurttemburg resembles Northeastern Schweiz in many ways--- the architecture, the climate, very high living standard, hilly landscape, etc. Is that common for upper class Zurichers to own country houses in Wurttemburg? It is more spacious there in Wurttemburg than most of Switzerland--- Ticino and Luzern, for example.

·
Resurrected
25,647 Posts
Württemberg is very similar to NE-Switzerland indeed. Even though driving across the border you can see small differences in the common architecture and also by people's behaviour. It's also a bit shocking for us Swiss to travel by train and suddenly feel across the border like in the 1950s in Switzerland. Public Transportation apart from intercity connections in Germany are VERY rudimentary unfortunatly.

Still don't forget that Rottweil or Konstanz once actually WERE Swiss cities and that Northern Switzerland WAS part of the Habsburg Empire. So the background is the same. Schwäbisch is also a similar dialect to Baseldüütsch :)

·
Optimum
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still don't forget that Rottweil or Konstanz once actually WERE Swiss cities and that Northern Switzerland WAS part of the Habsburg Empire. So the background is the same. Schwäbisch is also a similar dialect to Baseldüütsch :)
Baseldüütsch seems closer to the dialect around Mannheim and Frankfurt than Swabia. In Schwabia the dialect is closer to the dialects in Sankt Gallen and Zuerich. Baseldeutsch sounds more closely to standard German than other Swiss German dialects. (The Walser dialect is so archaic that it sounds like old Norse)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts