SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most ancient looking town in Latvia is Kuldīga. It has escaped both world wars and also Sovietization tendencies has touched it less than many other Latvian towns - when being in town's centre you can't know is there somewhere commieblocks or not. Kuldīga can boast also with beautiful nature - it's located at Venta river and right at the town there is one of the widest Europe waterfalls - Ventas rumba. Due to all these factors, Kuldīga is being widely regarded as the most beautiful town in Latvia. I wouldn't be so cathegoric, because I think Cēsis could hold the title as well and we can't forget about Liepāja which is although raped by wars but still very beautiful in places, and also other towns. However, one thing is clear - Kuldīga can give the most authentic old town feeling in Latvia. Sometimes it feels you just have to dress people like in old times and you're back there (17th/18th Century).

Let the pictures speak now.

The first part - historical centre around Liepājas street - it's the main street of the city.

While now "Metropole" (metropolis) regarding to this little town sounds funny, it wasn't so in 17th Century when Kuldīga was the capital of Courland - very prosperous country in Kurzeme and Zemgale area, it even had it's own colonies - Gambia and Tobago.

To be continued...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks! I've been there and it's a nice little quaint town. Considering how much damage the Baltics had to witness during the World Wars, it's heart-warming to see a completely intact historic city center (RIP Narva!). Some of the houses seem to be desperately asking for a paint job, but I can't say it makes me like it any less - I'm strangely in fond of this bohemian-like coziness. The fachwerk building looks quite interesting too.

Looking forward for more pictures. :)

·
Bike It!
22,248 Posts
Never heard of it, but looks like a very nice city, indeed. Where exactly is it situated?

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Nice. But where are canals ?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We continue with the Kuldīga town centre pics.

Little charming hill here with street leading down

Kuldīga court building

Kuldīga has not only the widest but also highest waterfall in Latvia - although it is artificial one. Alekšupītes waterfall. This small river is flowing through the town and we'll see in this thread how unique (for Baltic states) cityscape it makes in Kuldīga - resembling a bit of Venice.

View to Venta and autumn colours in opposite bank. Kuldīga is built basically on one side of the river, the other has only some newly built private houses...

...some of them looks quite good, like this one:

Next time some more pics from Pārventa and also the beautiful Ventas rumba waterfall. To be continued...

·
Registered
25,548 Posts
It is amazing how architecturelly rich the place is! If compared to the Swedish towns, everything looks plain boring here, because all the house have same colour.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remembered about this thread.

Bridge over Venta.

Venta waterfall. We will return to it later.

Road leading out of the town.

Now we'll take some views from watchtower on other side of Venta river.

Kuldīga skyline, consisting of 3 churches - small but charming.

Venta and outskirts of the town

Soviet outskirts.

Pārventa - Kuldīgas part of this side of Venta river is built only of private houses.

·
one.man.army
1,383 Posts
Wow, now that's a surprise. I cannot believe I've never heard of the place before. Wonderful old little town and excellent photos as usual.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts