SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PARLIAMENT has approved a loan of $298 million for the redevelopment of Kumasi Central Market and Kejetia Lorry terminal in Kumasi. Following, the Brazilian construction firm, CONTRACTA Engenharia Limited has arrived to execute the three- phase project which commences by the close of March, when traders are expected to be relocated.

The Metro Chief Executive of the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA), Mr. Kojo Bonsu, who disclosed this at the launch of the project and a media briefing said Phase One of the project comprises construction work at the Kejetia in a period of 24 months, while the Second and third phases would focus on the redevelopment of the Kumasi Central market.

Mr. Bonsu said the first Phase of the project would cost $198 million, while the remaining $100 million will be expended on the second and third phases of the project. He said the contractors were yet to undertake geographical mapping of the place with Ghana Water Company and Electricity Company of Ghana to prepare the place for constructional works to begin

Mr. Emmanuel Danso, Consultant to the contractors assured in the presence of Messrs Jorge Tavares de Almeida and Carlos Gala, Project director and Project Manager respectively of CONTRACTA that, the project would be executed on schedule but with the co-operation of residents.

the redevelopment of the Central Market will provide 45,000 stores as against the current 12,000 stores.

·
iam_ord
1,018 Posts
On a second note. This is a wonderful design. If completed it will help position kumasi as a hub and boost revenue. The road networks around looks good. an elevated monorail will be of advantage here

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow! Looks impressive
I wish we could get a similar one in Accra. If i had my way the CMB station market,Kantamanto market,Aflao Station Market,neoplan station should all be moved to the outskirts with a big and modern market.Central Accra is too congested

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow! Looks impressive
I wish we could get a similar one in Accra. If i had my way the CMB station market,Kantamanto market,Aflao Station Market,neoplan station should all be moved to the outskirts with a big and modern market.Central Accra is too congested
Great idea thought i think the officials lack the will power and courage to undertake such tasks.

If i had my way Makola would be the first to go with the art or culture center by the sea second on my list. :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great idea thought i think the officials lack the will power and courage to undertake such tasks.

If i had my way Makola would be the first to go with the art or culture center by the sea second on my list. :p
There are a lot of great projects coming out of Kumasi now. The King (Ashantihene) seem to be finally having a major influence on the city are being on the stool for almost 15 years.

Ghana needs more projects like this. The central government needs to be REALLY decentralized so that other regional capitals can grow and develop their cities to compete with Accra and Kumasi toe to toe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
President John Dramani Mahama is expected to break the grounds any time soon for the construction of the first phase of $298 million Kumasi-Central Market reconstruction project in Kumasi.

The Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Alhaji Collins Dauda, announced this during a familiarization visit ahead of the commencement of the project in Kumasi.

The visit was to help him get a firm grip on the latest development on the preparatory works, the relocation of the traders and help address outstanding issues between the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) and the traders before the President’s arrival.

The minister expressed delight at the level of work and effort the KMA has invested into the project and hope it would go well.

Alhaji Collins Dauda promised government’s full support for the project and urged the traders to ‘look at the bigger picture’ rather than trying to want to scuttle the project.

He toured the project site in the company of the Ashanti Regional Minister, Mr Peter Anarfi Mensah, a deputy minister of Local Government, Emmanuel Kwadwo Agyekum and Michael B. Ataogye of the KMA.

The first phase which will focus on the Kejetia market, is expected to cost $198 million.

Government through parliament secured the Brazilian loan last year to re-build the fire-prone market which will be the biggest in the sub-region.

Construction is being undertaken by a Brazilian firm, Contructa.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Source: ghanaweb.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks like a very nice project the only problem is ghanaians don't like to maintain things, once it starts looking bad nobody will do anything about it

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
Great. Terrible quality renders though!

Id like the same in Accra and in Takoradi Market circle which has a lot of potential

1 - 20 of 84 Posts