Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Brief State of Euphoria
4,010 Posts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al Sharq, Kuwait City, Kuwait
Monday 29 Jan 2007

A benchmark Kuwait office development, short listed for prestigious award

An Atkins Bahrain project, the Al Sharq office complex, has been short listed for the 2007 MIPIM Architectural Review Future Projects Award - Offices category. The 180m tower will cover an area of 56,400sq.m. Commissioned by Al Mar & Aqar, the complex combines work and leisure, internal and outside spaces, and offers a variety of scenarios for business within a sustainable and environmentally responsible design. Hovering above a glass fronted entrance is a podium with a sky garden food court. Office spaces are hung from a pairing of parallel blades topped at roof level with a gym, spa, health club and pool. Floating above this pool deck is a suspended high-panoramic views. Solar panel cladding contributes to the green building’s energy needs while the foliage camouflage provides office workers a place to step outside and recharge.

www.worldarchitecturenews.com

Initially a concept design for a client this was subsequently the winning entry in the international MIPIM competition organised by the Architectural Review magazine.

The development provides a flexible campus-like environment in which to do business.

Atkins approach to the design was driven by a series of layered work spaces that are framed by 210m parallel blades. These spaces are vertically zoned and change function and appearance depending upon the level they occupy in the building.

There are three specific aspects to the building: the blades, its verticality and its sustainable design elements.

Visually, the building comprises two parallel blades between which office spaces are hung. Even the offices on the lowest levels are considerably elevated, thereby giving them perfect panoramic views of the surrounding city.

www.atkins-me.com

·
Raised in Spijkenisse NL
113 Posts
I don't like the foot of the building. I mean the first part of the building with aprox. ten floors. It is too wide/deep in compare with the total look of the building.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
great design. Are you sure it 210m ? It does not look that tall

·
Brief State of Euphoria
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
according to atkins Al sharq tower will be 210 meter in hight nevertheless if you look to the high rise building on the left you will see arraya I tower which is 130 meter.

from the render the hight of 210 meter look pretty reasonable to me

·
Carpe Diem
1,183 Posts
A very special design I see, I do not really like it to be honest.. You have to see a building like this in real life to give a comment.

·
Brief State of Euphoria
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kuwaiti tower wins high-rise award
14 August 2007

The Atkins-designed Al Sharq office complex in Kuwait has won the CNBC Arabian Property Award for high-rise architecture.

Nicholas Bailey, head of concept architecture at
Atkins Middle East in Bahrain, said: "Al Sharq is the way forward in terms of defining a new architecture for Kuwait and we are delighted to be recognised in this way for such an exciting and prestigious award.

"Atkins' design work is largely about adding maximum value to clients' projects through the collective cerebral processes of our multi-discipline design team, and it's fantastic to be involved with the project and also with the strong client-consultant partnership that drives innovation," he added.

www.arabianbusiness.com

·
Brief State of Euphoria
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

1 - 17 of 17 Posts